I GOT MY iMac G3 600Mhz, IT KICKS A##!

M

Matt

I just got my iMac G3, it is the best OS I've ever used!!!!!! So much beter than windows. Thanks Avalon for your help!!!! You've been great!

I love the aqua look!! I is the nicest looking computer i've ever owned. iTunes looks so much better on a Mac than on a PC.

Switchers, DON'T WAIT. If 10.1.5 is as god as this, I think Panther would be fantastic, thats an understatement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Matt said:
I just got my iMac G3, it is the best OS I've ever used!!!!!! So much beter than windows. Thanks Avalon for your help!!!! You've been great!

I love the aqua look!! I is the nicest looking computer i've ever owned. iTunes looks so much better on a Mac than on a PC.

Switchers, DON'T WAIT. If 10.1.5 is as god as this, I think Panther would be fantastic, thats an understatement.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear everything worked out great for you with your new Mac. Don't forget to run Software Update to make sure everything on your machine is as up-to-date as possible.

OP
M

MoltenLava

I remember the first mac I bought, 350MHz Sawtooth. I was as excited as you were!

I think one of the best feature of OS X is that they still run very nicely on the older hardware. Think of the frustration and cursing trying to get Windows XP to run on 500MHz Pentium II!

I still run OS 10.1 on my eMac that I recently bought. There aren't many differences between 10.1 and Panther. I guess the best feature in the Panther is Exposé. It is just so cool to look at those windows dancing on the screen. It's especially useful on a laptop where screen size is limited. I can run a lot more windows effectively on my iBook's 1024x768 screen than on my PC's 1400x1000 screen.

OP
M

Matt

Yeah, it runs SO WELL on my iMac. I found out that i've got firewire too!!!!One of OS X's advantages is that it hasn't got that sad gloomy depressed look to it, it looks like it's "There for you". I've had it for what, 10 Hours now and my mum already wants one :D She has never touched a Mac in her life (exept for now).

I am still yet to connect it to the internet, but wants to ASAP

Q time, 1 Where are the printer drivers

2. Why won't anything but the original mouse fit in the USB ports of the keyboard.

Does anyone know where to find the printer driver list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Matt said:

You'r ewelcome :D
But I'm sure other people around here helped you too ;)

@MoltenLava:
Actually, I installed WinXP on a AMD K6 450MHz...no big deal, just time consuming :D

Exposé is really a very nice feature of Panther, but the difference to 10.1 is more than that. Actually on a 450MHz Sawtooth, the upgrade from 10.1 to Panther made it really faster. I'm not sure though if on a G3 you'll get a speed increase too...

Personnally, I prefer the brushed Aluminium look of Panther, and the more decent pinstripes... older OS X versions looked a little bit like a pyjama theme to me with all those stripes everywhere... :D
But that's just my personal taste ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Matt said:
1 Where are the printer drivers

2. Why won't anything but the original mouse fit in the USB ports of the keyboard.

1. Hmm, I don't remember where they were in 10.1, in Panther there is an Utility called Printer Setup Utility...don't know if that helps.

2. I don't really see what you mean... any USB device should fit in the USB port on the keyboard. The only devices that won't work are those that take too much power, like for example a scanner that takes power over USB, or some newer USB 2.0 memory sticks. But you'll get an error message when you try that.
Any other USB mouse should fit, I have TheMouse from MacMice, because it looks similar than my original Apple Pro mouse, but with the benefit of having 2 buttons and a scroll wheel :D

Reaction score
I can definitely sympathize with the excitement of a recent switch. I have had my iBook for just a few weeks and I already take it with me everywhere. There's something very liberating about having a mobile office. Congrats on the new switch and you should consider yourself in the right forum. These guys are amazingly helpful and have probably hundreds of years of combined experience between them where Macs are concerned.

OP
M

Matt

I now have found a stand for it on eBay (they look cool), and have it on the internet.

I have tried two things in it (including a USB "Lazer" mouse), and none of them fit the port. They do fit in the port inbedded in the case of the iMac, but just not in the keyboard. Are you sure you are using the same keyboard type, Avalon? The on with two usb ports on each side?

I do thank everyone for helping me. Every post has been helpful and intresting.

To be honest, people that state they hate mas because of the one button mouse issue, I an't really see what their talking about. Control click isn't bad at all in my eyes. So if I can use my mouse in that USB port, ill just use the original.

OP
M

Matt

OK. I am finally running into probs. The internet drops out after a while on the internet (but I must admit IT WAS A PAIN TO FINALLY GET IT CONNECTED!!!!) (I'm using dial-up). Maybe someone is just trying to ring. Either way, is there anyway to stop this?

Also, I get this message "Internet Explorer has unexpeticly quit".

One more thing, whats the link for Mac Janitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I'm using a pro keyboard, which is slightly different than the original iMac keyboard (bigger and more keys). But as far as I remember, the iMac keyboard, just like the pro keyboard, has one USB on each side. And both are accessible for a normal USB connector... :confused:
I attached a pic of the iMac's keyboard and mouse, maybe you have a different one.

About the Internet Explorer, well, it was the very first thing I removed, because I never use Internet Explorer, not even on Windows. I use Safari, and am quite satisfied with it. I tried also Camino and Mozilla, but both where too slow...

You can download MacJanitor here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10491

iMac_keyboard.jpg

OP
M

Matt

Ok, my nightmares are comming true. The computer IS A PAIN IN THE A## for connecting to the internet. SO MANY CALLS to support. Internet Explorer IS TOTAL CRA# on Macintosh. This has been a pain since day one. Is it normal if you change the settings in internet explorer that you have to restart (Which takes a long time for this computer). I have to close Explorer prefs, and re-open it JUST to re-enter something, since it wouldn't let me do so.The most annoying thing is that instead of IE opening the pages in a orderly fashion, it loads the text first then your left with horrible squares where bars, graphics and pictures are supposed to go. Sometimes when I go to click an OK button, it won't let me click it. Is there anyway to stop auto reconnect? It almost forces you to re-connect, with the auto reconnect. Settings in IE change themselves to the defult. Microsoft IS EVIL and is trying to make me use Windows again through the frustration of their crappy browser, IE. Everthing is OK except for internet connections.

I personally think that this computer needs a re-install and probably has been used to death by the company who owned it. Would the fact it was probably networked be conflicting with internet access?

Please tell me that these problems don't exist in Panther. I must get it ASAP. My windows XP machine is SO MUCH better in these areas. Ok, now it won't let me scroll to the top of the message, what's the deal with that? I think Microsoft is doing the oppisite for me and instead I am hating Microsoft more. I am telling you M$ has made all these problems on purpose, and make them look like simple errors.

Another thing: Why is it IMPOSSIBLE to connect to the internet without cleaning out the cookies?

As you see I HATE IE on macintosh, but not so much the OS. So THIS is wher e the hatred for IE comes from Mac Users!

Questions:

Is there a way to stop auto reconnect?

Is there a way to stop stupid IE from opening pages in this unpleasant way?

I think i'll download another browser now :)

OP
M

Matt

Matt said:
Ok, my nightmares are comming true. The computer IS A PAIN IN THE A## for connecting to the internet. SO MANY CALLS to support. Internet Explorer IS TOTAL CRA# on Macintosh. This has been a pain since day one. Is it normal if you change the settings in internet explorer that you have to restart (Which takes a long time for this computer). I have to close Explorer prefs, and re-open it JUST to re-enter something, since it wouldn't let me do so.The most annoying thing is that instead of IE opening the pages in a orderly fashion, it loads the text first then your left with horrible squares where bars, graphics and pictures are supposed to go. Sometimes when I go to click an OK button, it won't let me click it. Is there anyway to stop auto reconnect? It almost forces you to re-connect, with the auto reconnect. Settings in IE change themselves to the defult. Microsoft IS EVIL and is trying to make me use Windows again through the frustration of their crappy browser, IE. Everthing is OK except for internet connections.

I personally think that this computer needs a re-install and probably has been used to death by the company who owned it. Would the fact it was probably networked be conflicting with internet access?

Please tell me that these problems don't exist in Panther. I must get it ASAP. My windows XP machine is SO MUCH better in these areas. Ok, now it won't let me scroll to the top of the message, what's the deal with that? I think Microsoft is doing the oppisite for me and instead I am hating Microsoft more. I am telling you M$ has made all these problems on purpose, and make them look like simple errors.

Another thing: Why is it IMPOSSIBLE to connect to the internet without cleaning out the cookies?

As you see I HATE IE on macintosh, but not so much the OS. So THIS is wher e the hatred for IE comes from Mac Users!

Questions:

Is there a way to stop auto reconnect?

Is there a way to stop stupid IE from opening pages in this unpleasant way?

I think i'll download another browser now :)

EDIT: I just sent this and it dropped out again, isn't that lovely :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, RELAX!!! :D
Then, get rid of IE, it's crap on Windows, and it's even worse on Mac.
About your internet connection not being steady...hmm, did you check all the networking settings? Maybe the previous owner has set it to allow Internet connection only for a fixed time.
I would suggest you reinstall the entire system, wipe the disk and start from scratch. This would erase all the rubbish and settings of the previous owner.
And get Panther, I never had trouble with it, except those I provoked myself (playing around with system files as root ;) ). And it includes Safari, in my opinion the best browser for Mac.

By the way, what about your keyboard? is it the one on the pic I've posted?

OP
M

Matt

OK, I will now, had to get that off my chest :D
Yes, as far as I can see it is the same keyboard, don't understand why it won't fit. Thankyou for going into the trouble of taking a picture for me :)

I can't believe how horrible IE is, I even went to one of those Microsoft rant post places, but silly IE wouldn't let me send in a post.

Firstly, tell me Safari doesn't load in that horrendously silly was of text only first with leaving all the graphics till last, you may be supprised how much of the net is graphics and not pure writing.You see, thats the prob, I didn't get OS X backup disks with it :( Thats why I am desprite to get Panther (I know, stupid me, why did I get a computer without backup disks :)) I think I will delete IE, or atleast put it in a place where I never can lay my eyes on its horrible icon again. You don't think the drop out thing is permenant, or hardware, do you? I just hope it's not an "iMac thing", anyway, by the sounds of it you also own an iMac. or have in the past??

PS: You speak "well, type :)" english very well, is English your contries first language?

By the way, I think i'll download Nescape. :D

OP
M

Matt

I think I found the source of the drop outs :touches wood:

I think it is because the Internet Connection is VERY sensitive on the Mac. For exapmle, I merely semi tripped on the cord and it disconnected, (this does not happen with my PC Laptop). So I don't blame the OS for my own mistakes. But I do blame it for not letting me re-connect again, so I had to restart. I downloaded Nescape which is exceptional, unlike IE for Mac which was unbearable. As a matter of a fact it is quite good nescape. :D

For now, al least the computer is running well, although I still am going to install Panther for a nice fresh start. Anyhow, would anybody know how to stop auto connect? It comes up every two seconds when your in a program designed for the internet.

I like Mac OS X, but I think a re-install is needed. There are still a few glinches around, thats OK for now. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your comment about my english ;)
The main languages in Luxemburg are Luxemburgish (of course! :D ) German and French. But we also learn English at school, but not as much as French and German. I work for an automotive company, with a site in the US, Korea and Slovakia. So the main language for communication and meetings is English.

cc pic: Actually, I did "rip" the pic at eBay, I don't have this keyboard/mouse ;) We had an old PowerMac G4 at work, that came with the same keyboard/mouse, that's why I'm a little surprised that you can't plug in a different mouse in it's USB ports... :confused:

The only problem I had with Safari was with the portal of my bank, and that mainly was a Java problem that's fixed since the last java update. But I don't know about the Safari version of 10.1, I'm not even sure if there is Safari with that version of OS X. My OS X experience started with Panther, with a briefly look at Jaguar... I never really used 10.1.
I don't think your drop-outs are hardware related...looks more like a wrong setting to me.

No, I don't have or had an iMac, allthough I'd like to have one, just for it's looks :D A nice indigo blue, one of the last revision...that would be nice. :D
Here's a list of Macs I have or had:
Macintosh IIsi
Macintosh IIci
Macintosh LCIII (tuned to LCIII+ :D )
Performa/PowerMac 5200 (the same you have)
PowerMac G4 single 1.25GHz MDD (since I have this one, I definitely switched)

And don't get Netscape...it got old and is still buggy... Try Mozilla, FireFox or Camino. They use the same engine than Netscape, but are more up-to-date.
www.mozilla.org you'll find all 3 browser here ;)

OP
M

MoltenLava

What kind of auto manufacturer is in Luxemburg? I know Poland builds Boxster for Porsche, but I haven't heard of any in Luxemburg. Is it a GM subsidiary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MoltenLava said:
What kind of auto manufacturer is in Luxemburg? I know Poland builds Boxster for Porsche, but I haven't heard of any in Luxemburg. Is it a GM subsidiary?

There is no car manufacturer in Luxemburg. It's a very small country (about 400'000 people).
We make passenger detection sensors, for different car manufacturers. If you want to know more about what we do, check www.iee.lu
There also are other automotive companies here, for example Goodyear and Delphi.
And as far as I know, the Boxster is build in Sweden.

By the way, the iTMS central for iTMS Europe is in Luxemburg too. ;)
(iTMS = iTunes Music Store)

OP
M

Matt

Nope, 10.1 does not come with Safari.
I might get Firefox, or something. What's your personal prefrence? Nescape is still better than IE for now ;)

Are you saying you used a Performa up till you got the G4!!! Or do you just get a PC between the time you got rid of the Performa and the time you got the G4?

Now, my mother wants one too now, and she might get this one on eBay. I was wondering if Panther has a lock so you can't use it on different computers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.