Mac To The Future

MJM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.53GHz, iPod Classic 120GB (Black)
Well, I thought I'd take this time to introduce myself to the board. I've lurked on here for about a year (inconsistently) prior to recently registering. I've known for at least 2/3 years that I wanted to become a Mac user, however, I'm yet to take the plunge. Maybe it's difficult to explain, but I simply know that a Mac is more for me. I do have a concern for which programs I'll use to accomplish certain tasks, but I feel confident there will exist an option on the Mac. I believe there's even a thread here regarding that. I'll check it out.

I bought my current computer (PC) nearly three years ago, and I initially installed Windows XP Pro on it. I currently use Windows Server 2003, configured as a workstation. This Kaos computer has an AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3.4Ghz, w/1.5 GB RAM (came w/only 512 MB - I added another GB), and nVidia GeForce FX 5700 LE Graphics Card. I use a Viewsonic 19" widescreen LCD monitor, and the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers.

Originally (in the last few months) I thought about getting a Mac Pro desktop. I wanted a powerful system that would handle all of my needs, which will soon include editing home videos, creating DVD's from them, etc. Just for fun, and archival purposes. However, I'm sure if I sat down and added up the cost for the Mac Pro I'd like to have, it would run very high. Knowing myelf, I'd want the best/most powerful configuration of all, and that would be overkill on my finances. Therefore, I might start off with an iMac, and perhaps in the next 1½-2 years, move on to the Mac Pro. By then I'll also be very much acquainted with using a Mac. I would assume the iMac would also allow me to edit videos, and create DVD's without much hassle?

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate hearing from any of you - any thoughts you may have.

I've included an attachment for the Kaos System I currently have - I never used the speakers, keyboard or mouse.

Kaos PC.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi and welcome

The iMac can do what you require with ease, although I recommend you get another gig of RAM. Aftermarket RAM is very cheap and easy to fit (Apple charge a fortune for RAM if you buy from them)

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Phase3.

I have to say that the iMac is very hard to beat in terms of what you get for the money you pay. It's powerful, has a lot of features and is a great all-in-one. I too would recommend you add RAM yourself too make it even beefier.

Oh and that title of yours is really catchy! I love it! ;)

OP
MJM

MJM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.53GHz, iPod Classic 120GB (Black)
Thanks a lot for the responses. I feel very good about this purchase. Within the next few weeks, I should be using my new iMac.

In addition, I very much look forward to those Apple stickers as well.
6q0bhxs.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes, the Apple stickers give you a whole new way to express your creativity!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.