Replace color doesn't like me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone

I use photoshop elements 4.0 and out of the blue, the replace color tool doesnt work :|

I open an image and then do the replace color tool. I click on the color i wish to replace and it selects it (fine)
I then change the value to replace it with and it just seems to effect the image as if it is greyscale.

This happens with different pictures and i've already tried reinstalling elements to no effect :(

Help appreciated

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes indeedy MHC :) It always used to work, one day though it just stopped :| its so weird :(

~~ TS ~~

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe what you need to do is trash Element's plist file in your user account's Library -> Preferences. Must be in there somewhere... If the path is the same as for Illustrator, you should have a Elements folder in the preferences folder. There doesn't seem to be a .plist file extension for the Illustrator pref file, it is named: Adobe Illustrator Prefs. Maybe the same for Elements...

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey MHC :)

I'll give that a go tommorow during the day, im a little sleepy (not to mention under the influence of some very strange ale) and fancy messing around with files when less likely to delete something important... like the OS ^_^

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, since recovery from ale is complete...

Should this be the file to delete MHC? :)

~~ TS ~~

Picture 1.png

M

MacHeadCase

Looks like it, TS. Just drag it to the trash, restart and use Elements to see if that fixed the problem.

If it didn't I would suggest you post in Adobe's forum (they don't have a forum for Elements, though... maybe in Photoshop's user forum?).

You could have a look at the Elements Support section, see if anything there helps. But the user forum is your best bet, me thinks, if there isn't anything there.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried trashing that file and it hasnt fixed the problem :(

Ill continue to look around, cheers for the help MHC :)

~~ TS ~~

M

MacHeadCase

Try to remember if you installed anything before Elements started acting wonky.

Maybe repair disk permissions?

Try running MainMenu, if you have it, and clear out all the caches, restart and see if it's ok.

Also try creating a new user account and see if the problem is happening in there too.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) As far as im aware i didnt install anything that effected the elements install...

2) Tried disk permissions, all seems ok

3) I'll give that a go now

4) Ill try that now as well :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well thats strange... Created a new account and it works fine in there... Went back to my default account and it now works there as well :|

~~ TS ~~

M

MacHeadCase

Cool! Report back and we'll take it from there.

As for installing something, it could be something that is only remotely related to Elements.

For example, there was a new update to Smultron last week. Downloaded and installed it. Then after the install, each time I would launch Safari it kept asking where Smultron was and would bring up the Applications folder! So it very well knew where it was!

I tried pointing Safari to Smultron in many ways: navigating directly in the Applications window it opened up, using the Browse button and going through all the hard drive hierarchy to select Smultron or simply clicking on the Cancel button.

Nothing doing, no matter what I did, Safari would:

1- ask me on each launch where Smultron was
2- no matter if I selected Smultron or not, Safari would take minutes to open a browser window

Then, when the 10.4.11 update came up, and seeing it would install Safari 3, I thought my troubles were long gone...

NOT!!! Each launch of the new Safari would bring up the same thing. So I looked at the QuickTime MIME settings, Safari third-party apps or helpers, anything where Smultron could be included but I saw nothing there.

Then I looked in the Safari add-ons I had installed: Saft, SafariBlocker and SafariStand. All had nothing to do with Smultron. Then I noticed I had installed a set of scripts for Safari, SafariScripts, and sure enough one of those scripts was: View source with Smultron. I dragged that script to the trash and it's been hunky dory ever since!

Long story short: we don't always see the relations behind the scene... ;D

M

MacHeadCase

Well thats strange... Created a new account and it works fine in there... Went back to my default account and it now works there as well :|

~~ TS ~~

Hah! This means you have something in your old user account that interferes, another app or setting probably. But for it to work after logging back in... That is Twilight Zone stuff.... :Oops:

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well ive now deleted the test account i created and Photoshop Elements 4.0 seems to now be playing nicely in my original account... This is completely weird, yet im not going to argue with it, if it wants to work now then im quite happy to let it :p

Thanks for all your help MHC!

~~ TS ~~

M

MacHeadCase

LOL

Yeah walk very softly around it and let it do its thing!... ;D

No prob, TS, glad I could help you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.