• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How ironic (political)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Our generation, i do believe will do some really awesome things with the country / world, in just about all aspects of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
cheesybanana said:
I can not wait until my generation takes over.

Our generation, i do believe will do some really awesome things with the country / world, in just about all aspects of it.

Funny, I've heard that before. What's changed? Nada.....

Everyone wants to change the world, then the world changes them. But hey, keep on dreaming the dream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Everyone wants to change the world, then the world changes them...

Exactly! How many generations have said the exact same thing. In politics and in life... TALK IS CHEAP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
every generation says it... ;)

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

Everyone wants to change the world, then the world changes them...

Most likely true, but I can hope :)

I really do have a lot of faith in our generation. We have many, many opportunities that generations before us have never had. I just hope we take advantage of them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have many, many opportunities that generations before us have never had. I just hope we take advantage of them...

That's what makes it sad. Every generation has had the same advantage of advances in science, technology and human though & social progression. Yet in the end nothing really changes, at least not the way people may have set out to change things or on the timetable they planned.

Forgive me if I sound pessimistic, I'm really not. I consider myself a realist and mostly fairly optimistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Well, never in the history of our country have we been faced with such a potential revolutionary tool (the internet) and been subjected to a blatant disregard for the constitution by all politicians.

I will be voting for Ron Paul and I am so excited to see the changes that my generation can bring forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I'm voting for Mickey Mouse!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm voting for Mickey Mouse!

Well, you'll get the same results as those voting for Ron Paul.....

(ok, I'll apologize for that crack up-front...)

Well, never in the history of our country have we been faced with such a potential revolutionary tool (the internet) and been subjected to a blatant disregard for the constitution by all politicians.

What, you never heard of TV or Radio and how they "revolutionized" politics? Ever wonder exactly why JFK won the 1960 election? Maybe you need to study your history a bit better. The web is just the latest in a long line of revolutionizing tools and it will eventually make it's impact felt. To assume that your generation is the first to have a tool that could have such a huge impact is to ignore the lessons of history.

As for blatant disregard for the Constitution, ask Lincoln, FDR or even JFK about it.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am well up on my history, so please...

The internet trumps radio and tv though as to what information is available and its ability to mobilze grassroots movements. You say its impact has not been felt, and I agree as this is what I am talking about.

Lincoln and FDR did positive things through their disregard of the constitution. I would bet that most of the people in America thought that what was being done was for their own good and agreed with it. I believe our current administrations approval rating is at record lows? And according to the article the OP linked, our congresses rating is even lower on the whole.

As for Ron Paul, I don't understand why people don't think he is a serious contender:

Could it be because he raised more money in 1 day than any other GOP candidate? I don't suppose.
Maybe it is because he has just as much money raised now than the other front runners? Nah.
Ron Paul wants a revolution and a return to the Constitution as our government's law. This is why I support him.

I would've voted for Colbert if he was allowed to run, but at least his attempt showed that not just anyone can run for president in America.(Contrary to what we would idealistically like to think)

[/rant]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can't say i know much about bloomburg(sp?) but I know that Ron Paul is the only one on the GOP and DFL side that will commit to an immediate withdrawl from Iraq...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am well up on my history, so please...

The internet trumps radio and tv though as to what information is available and its ability to mobilze grassroots movements. You say its impact has not been felt, and I agree as this is what I am talking about.

Lincoln and FDR did positive things through their disregard of the constitution. I would bet that most of the people in America thought that what was being done was for their own good and agreed with it. I believe our current administrations approval rating is at record lows? And according to the article the OP linked, our congresses rating is even lower on the whole.

As for Ron Paul, I don't understand why people don't think he is a serious contender:

Could it be because he raised more money in 1 day than any other GOP candidate? I don't suppose.
Maybe it is because he has just as much money raised now than the other front runners? Nah.
Ron Paul wants a revolution and a return to the Constitution as our government's law. This is why I support him.

I would've voted for Colbert if he was allowed to run, but at least his attempt showed that not just anyone can run for president in America.(Contrary to what we would idealistically like to think)

[/rant]

Internet may trump TV and radio by todays standards, but by the standards of the the time in which they were released they had the same potential for impact on the system. TV and Radio, particularly Radio, had the potential to spark grass roots movements in the same way in it's early days.

So in your estimation the illegal suspension Habeas Corpus and the illegal detention of thousands of American citizens was a good thing? JFK and his party's more or less blatant theft (via ballot box stuffing in Illinois) of the 1960 election was ok?

Contrary to what the popular media would like you to believe, approval ratings mean very little when it comes down to it. Nearly every modern president since FDR that has served 2 terms has had their ratings bottom out in their second term. In the end it didn't mean squat.

Your entitled to you opinions on Ron Paul, but in the end he has no real chance of gaining a foothold anywhere on the political spectrum that would give him a snowballs chance in heck of winning. I apologize if that comes across as rude, it is not intended to. Heck Bush has a better chance of being re-elected than Ron Paul does and he can't even run.

can't say i know much about bloomburg(sp?) but I know that Ron Paul is the only one on the GOP and DFL side that will commit to an immediate withdrawl from Iraq...

Which would be a huge mistake. Outside of the radical left there is no real majority consenus on just walking away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I don't know much about the JFK thing. Though I did not mention anything about him in my post, only Lincoln and FDR. FDR did the new deal stuff which was very beneficial and Lincoln suspended habeas corpus when we were at war with ourselves!

I feel that Ron Paul has a lot to offer as a political runner and as a result I will vote for him wheter or not he has a chance, for this is the whole purpose behind voting. I just think you and a lot of other people will be very surprised that you underestimated Ron Paul. Regardless I am voting for him or Kusenich(sp?) because they seem to have the guts to speak up against what I think is a blatant disregard for some of things Bush has done.

Clinton was impeached over a lie, but Bush has illegally spyed on us and used federal things (spy satallites) to help local governments. (http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Aug15/0,4670,SpySatellites,00.html) and he has not been impeached yet? Seems fair...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clinton was never impeached, they just held proceedings for impeachment. The Dems are currently investigating any number of things Bush has done. In the end, it's not going to matter, just like it didn't for Clinton.

Here's some flash news for all you Bush basher's out there. He's not running again. Ron Paul and everyone else can campaign all they want against what he has done, but in the end they are wasting their time.

Whoever wins on 08 is going to have to be ready to take on the job (and a tough one it will be) and not live in some anti-Bush fantasy world. The mainstream candidates have realized this and are being realistic about their goals.

I can see one good thing about a Ron Paul victory though. He get Congress of their collective butts and working together. A guy with no support from either party would actually bring them together. In the end Congress would run the country for four years since the President wouldn't be able to pass anything or even Veto anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Clinton was never impeached, they just held proceedings for impeachment.

Clinton was in fact impeached. He was subsequently acquitted by the Senate. To be removed from office, a President has to be impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate.

Reaction score
Well, you'll get the same results as those voting for Ron Paul.....

(ok, I'll apologize for that crack up-front...).....

Funny :D (and true) comment Baggss! I do not know that much about Ron Paul but I am under the impression he previously ran as a Libertarian. I would think, if that is the case, once his total platform comes out he will diminish in number of followers. I am not aware of anyone running on the Libertarian platform who really drew in that many votes. If he doesn't do well by at least the NH primary that will end his quest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Here's some flash news for all you Bush basher's out there. He's not running again. Ron Paul and everyone else can campaign all they want against what he has done, but in the end they are wasting their time.

Whoever wins on 08 is going to have to be ready to take on the job (and a tough one it will be) and not live in some anti-Bush fantasy world. The mainstream candidates have realized this and are being realistic about their goals.

I can see one good thing about a Ron Paul victory though. He get Congress of their collective butts and working together. A guy with no support from either party would actually bring them together. In the end Congress would run the country for four years since the President wouldn't be able to pass anything or even Veto anything.

Very well said! The left is going to have to get over their Bush hate and what he may have done in the past. That is irrelevant, we need to be looking toward the future and working on how we can bring stability to the Middle East. I personally do not see us leaving Iraq in the next 10 years. I hate to say that but I am afraid that is the way it's going to be. Whoever wins in 2008 is going to have a very hard job in store for them. Clinton may say she will pull troops out of Iraq if elected but IF she wins and takes office she will see just what pulling out of Iraq will do to our national security she will have no choice but to leave troops there. Just my opinion on the subject, I'm really getting sick of the Bush hate, get over it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.