Nebie using paralells but considering bootcamp....

Reaction score
I switches to a mac a couple of months ago ....... and I have no desire to switch back.

BUT

I am an IT consultant and have to hook my mac up to windows network via VPN.

If I install parallells/VM ware this works - I can use the connect to my workplace wizard on the VM machine and i can access the servers etc etc

But simple things like - Adobe reader wont install as it wont see the file it wants to see and aborts. And I have to have it on the windows machine as my mac wont see the printer or connect to the network - I can only see network drives on the paralells machine.

This may be user incompetence and not knowing mac OS X properly.

I only use the paralels machine for connection to exchange server for outlook, SAP gui and VPN, and access to network drives/printing on client network.

But I have a window of 3-4 days before I give in and go boot camp as I cannot justify my billing rate in the current set up.

Are these issues surmountable without buy in from clients tech support (who hates macs).

Reaction score
You're talking about Adobe not installing on Windows, right?

If so, you've got a Windows problem, not a Parallels or OSX issue.

It would be helpful if you could give me the exact error message you see before the install aborts.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you be more specific on the error message you're receiving during Acrobat installation? That really does not sound like a problem related to Parallels. Remember, when you're running Windows via Parallels, as far as Windows is concerned, it is running on a PC like any other.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I would like to see someone that is using Parallels answer this one. I have seen similar network/printer hangups using Fusion and I've worked through them. I don't know the Parallels interface though. I haven't ever had a problem installing software on virtual Windows with Fusion.

MookieMoo, I don't think you'll be happy with BootCamp after you've had a virtual machine. Changing between Windows and Mac requires a reboot, and if you've got software split between the two systems, it's big hassle.

I use both OS's (mostly Mac though). My home computer has Fusion, and my work computer has BootCamp. I'm much more productive on my home computer, since I can use my Windows apps at the same time, leaving my Mac-side work running.

That said, BootCamp does give your Windows access to more of your computer's RAM and enables you to run DirectX 10(?) Research it if that's a concern. Finally, it is possible to run a virtual machine from a BootCamp partition. Best of both worlds, perhaps?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to see someone that is using Parallels answer this one. I have seen similar network/printer hangups using Fusion and I've worked through them. I don't know the Parallels interface though. I haven't ever had a problem installing software on virtual Windows with Fusion.

MookieMoo, I don't think you'll be happy with BootCamp after you've had a virtual machine. Changing between Windows and Mac requires a reboot, and if you've got software split between the two systems, it's big hassle.

I use both OS's (mostly Mac though). My home computer has Fusion, and my work computer has BootCamp. I'm much more productive on my home computer, since I can use my Windows apps at the same time, leaving my Mac-side work running.

That said, BootCamp does give your Windows access to more of your computer's RAM and enables you to run DirectX 10(?) Research it if that's a concern. Finally, it is possible to run a virtual machine from a BootCamp partition. Best of both worlds, perhaps?

I am using Parallels and have never had a software installation glitch. Running software that requires full DX9/3D support is another story, but installation has never been a problem. I can see where you might have difficulty establishing connections to networked printers depending on how you have the virtual network adapter configured, but software installation should not be directly related to the fact that it's running in a VM.

One of the nicer things about Parallels (and I'm sure Fusion does this as well) is that you can have it open an existing Boot Camp Windows installation within a VM. As you mentioned, that gives you the best of both worlds to some extent. The only downside is that the "pause" mechanism in Parallels requires a hibernation in Windows (instead of instant on, instant off) and the partition size is not dynamic - so you have to feed Windows a fixed amount of your hard disk.

OP
M
Reaction score
The error message is......

Error 1606. Could not access network location \\.PSF\.Home\Pictures\.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Error 1606. Could not access network location \\.PSF\.Home\Pictures\.

Sounds like you're trying to install the program on your Mac OS drive and not the Windows C: drive. I would try installing it to the latter and see if the problem persists.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sounds like you're trying to install the program on your Mac OS drive and not the Windows C: drive. I would try installing it to the latter and see if the problem persists.

I'm on the windows screen and I go to explorer - find the file and execute it.

not sure how else I can do it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm on the windows screen and I go to explorer - find the file and execute it.

not sure how else I can do it!

Move the file to your Windows desktop and then double-click on it. See what happens.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same error - I thought I had tried it but I did it again just in case.

Still doesnt work.

:Angry:

Try downloading the file from the Windows desktop and save it to your My Documents or Desktop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something isn't right with your Windows installation. The path mentioned in the error message refers to Parallels' Shared Folder (PSF), which is the conduit that Parallels used to access your Mac OS partition. By moving the executable off to your Windows virtual hard disk, there should be no reason the installer would need to talk to Parallels Shared Folders.

What version of Parallels are you using and do you have Parallels Tools installed?

OP
M
Reaction score
Something isn't right with your Windows installation. The path mentioned in the error message refers to Parallels' Shared Folder (PSF), which is the conduit that Parallels used to access your Mac OS partition. By moving the executable off to your Windows virtual hard disk, there should be no reason the installer would need to talk to Parallels Shared Folders.

What version of Parallels are you using and do you have Parallels Tools installed?

Version 3.0 build 5160

How do I know if I have Tools?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 3.0 build 5160

How do I know if I have Tools?

Parallels Tools is a program that should install itself immediately following your Windows installation. Sometimes it doesn't (for whatever reason) and this can cause a few different problems - most notably, your pointer won't travel outside of the Windows window unless you press ctrl-option on the keyboard. Parallels Tools installs a number of different drivers to make operating Windows (or Linux, for that matter) a lot easier in a VM.

You can force the installation of Parallels Tools by clicking the Actions menu and choosing "Install Parallels Tools".

OP
M
Reaction score
Parallels Tools is a program that should install itself immediately following your Windows installation. Sometimes it doesn't (for whatever reason) and this can cause a few different problems - most notably, your pointer won't travel outside of the Windows window unless you press ctrl-option on the keyboard. Parallels Tools installs a number of different drivers to make operating Windows (or Linux, for that matter) a lot easier in a VM.

You can force the installation of Parallels Tools by clicking the Actions menu and choosing "Install Parallels Tools".

I just forced an installation of tools - and adobe still wont work.

Its because of the new installer pckage - if I could get hold of an older copy you can choose the destination folder

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just forced an installation of tools - and adobe still wont work.

Its because of the new installer pckage - if I could get hold of an older copy you can choose the destination folder

Well, let me ask you this question - do you need Acrobat just to view PDF files? If so, try FoxIt Reader for Windows. It's fully compatible with Acrobat, but it's tiny (about 1MB), fast and starts up a lot quicker.

But if you continue to have problems with applications running in Windows within Parallels, I would seriously consider building a new VM and installing Windows clean.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, let me ask you this question - do you need Acrobat just to view PDF files? If so, try FoxIt Reader for Windows. It's fully compatible with Acrobat, but it's tiny (about 1MB), fast and starts up a lot quicker.

But if you continue to have problems with applications running in Windows within Parallels, I would seriously consider building a new VM and installing Windows clean.

most things install fine on the machine - adobe is the first one I've come across that doesnt.

All myclients apps loaded fine.

The ONLY reason I wanted adobe is most of the other PDF readers dont allow 4 pages per side printing - which i like as it cuts down on paper when printing out 150 page + documents. i'll try Fox it. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I have to have it on the windows machine as my mac wont see the printer or connect to the network - I can only see network drives on the paralells machine.

If this refers to being able to print from windows through the mac installed printer. Google Bonjour for windows and you need to turn on printer sharing in your print settings.

If it doesn't then ignore me lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.