Nervous about bootcamp

Reaction score
Im thinking of adding windows XP to my system via bootcamp and Im very hesitant. IM not the biggest techie guy around and this is my first Mac. When I printed the instructions there were over 25 pages!!!

Id like to hear from some of you that may have done this already. Should K be this nervous? What problems have you encountered and what should I watch for so that I done make my mac implode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
It is a pretty straight forward process. the first time I did it I didn't read a manual ahead of time and it worked well. I would recomend a full backup first of course. But otherwise it seems pretty easy.

Oh, and all 25 pages of that don't apply to the install of windows :)

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems installing windows on a boot camp partition...
it is very easy.
you create a boot camp partition using the boot camp assistant
reboot...with a xp sp2 or vista install cd/dvd and just follow the instructions.
once windows has finished installing put in the boot camp driver cd and you're finished.

there isn't anything to be nervous about...however, if you haven't done so I recommend backing up your hard drive. you always should have a backup before big operations like this.

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
I use Time Machine to back up on an external Hard Drive. Should that suffice? Sorry but Im a newb at this sort of thing :)

Also once you partition your HD can you undo it ?

Thanks for the quick replies too guys. This forum has been a huge help for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Im thinking of adding windows XP to my system via bootcamp and Im very hesitant. IM not the biggest techie guy around and this is my first Mac.
The frist question you should ask yourself should be, "Why do you need to install Windows?"

Can you do what you need to do with out it?
Is there an alternative to the Windows application?
Is there a Mac version of the Windows application?

If you have made it this far without it, then why install Windows now?

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
Yes I need Windows. I wouldnt go through all this and buying a copy of windows for nothing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Another question is. Do you really need a bootcamp windows? Would a virtual machine work? Easier to work will, no partitioning, application and file sharing...

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
I want to be able to play some PC only games and from what Ive read its better to do it via bootcamp.

Anyhow Im about to load it up now and see how it goes.

Reaction score
I use Time Machine to back up on an external Hard Drive. Should that suffice? Sorry but Im a newb at this sort of thing :)

Also once you partition your HD can you undo it ?

Thanks for the quick replies too guys. This forum has been a huge help for me.

time machine should be enough. (you need the install dvd to recover though)
and yes you can delete the boot camp partition very easily.

Reaction score
I want to be able to play some PC only games and from what Ive read its better to do it via bootcamp.

Anyhow Im about to load it up now and see how it goes.

If this is the case, then virtualization is still a viable route for you. VMware Fusion supports DirectX8 and has experimental support of DirectX9. My experience has been that DirectX9 is pretty solid. The only thing you can't do is DirectX10.

However, if bootcamp is still what you want to do, then you should put your mind at ease. I've been building multi boot systems for years (mostly windows and linux distros) Boot camp is VASTLY easier. The drivers are already on the Leopard CD. It is spectacularly simple IMO.

Just pre read the setup guide before starting. The setup guide can be printed out once you launch the BootCamp Assistant. Just print it out or save it as a PDF file to read in preview....

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
WOOT ! I just did it. You guys were right it was super easy. Kudos to Apple. Now I can play COD4 lol.

Question. Should I install an antivirus on the Windows partition? I will only use it for games I dont even plan on surfing the net with it.

Thanks again guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
WOOT ! I just did it. You guys were right it was super easy. Kudos to Apple. Now I can play COD4 lol.

Question. Should I install an antivirus on the Windows partition? I will only use it for games I dont even plan on surfing the net with it.

Thanks again guys.

yes you should install an antivirus program cuz u know it is windows..
i have windows on my mbp for games and some windows only softwares like autocad(mostly for games)even if u dont connect to the net with it,u have no chance to keep it virus free...my windows has collapsed for like 4 times,btw dont even try xp(if u hvent still or for the next time) it deletes bootcamp automatically well at least this is what happened to me for 2 times..
i hope u'll have no problems..

Reaction score
well, unless you're not going to be online with your mac when in windows you definitely need antivirus.
good free av for windows: antivir, avg,
my personal favorite av: nod32

would also install a firewall: zonealarm is decent and has a free version
I personally prefer: sunbelt's kerio firewall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's easy peasy to put Bootcamp on.

Partition your HD, install Windows, boot into Windows and put in the Leopard DVD. That's it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.