OS Selection Bootup Screen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Fantastic forum you have.

I took the plunge and brought myself a 17" MBP just over a month ago. Unfortunately I work in IT which means at work I'm forced to use either Windows XP or Vista, therefore I'm a constant user of bootcamp. Due to compatability issues most of my software won't work in Fusion so I have no other choice but to dual boot.

My question, is it possible to set my macbook to always display the OS selection screen, without having to hold "Alt" at bootup? I know I can set my macbook to boot up in either XP or OSX but I use them both roughly the same.

I would be most grateful if anyone has some ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I am a network engineer myself and would be interested in knowing what software you use in IT that is not compatible with Fusion? I don't doubt you it just struck a cord of interest in me :)

As for your question I have not come across that myself so I do not know. However I imagine it is as simple as changing how you shut down.

IE instead of just shutting down the computer when you leave work tell it to boot into OSX and reboot but turn off the power when it turns off. When you next turn it on at home it will boot into OSX. Likewise at home when you turn it off the last time goto preferences and startup disks and tell it to restart into windows then just turn the power off when it turns off. At work it will come right up into windows.

I am sure there is a way to have it always show all boot options. Though holding down alt isnt exactly all that inconvient :) But just using what I DO know it could be as simple as what I stated above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
try using the search feature next time, instead of creating a new thread :)
this same question was posted just a couple of days ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Use rEFIt

screen2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.