• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why smoking in public is bad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Because I don't enjoy having cigarette butts bounced off of me @ 70mph because everyone that drives would rather throw them out the window than use their ashtray. It really irks me when that happens. Not to mention, I still catch second hand smoke on a bike. Nothing like pulling a perfect trip through the mountains to get stuck behind a cager and having to breath the smoke that just came out of their lungs.

discuss. O:)

eidt: Anyways, what's a pulbic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Smoking is a disgusting habit. Thank god people can't smoke in pubic out here and if they do, just have to tell them once..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Because I don't enjoy having cigarette butts bounced off of me @ 70mph because everyone that drives would rather throw them out the window than use their ashtray. It really irks me when that happens. Not to mention, I still catch second hand smoke on a bike. Nothing like pulling a perfect trip through the mountains to get stuck behind a cager and having to breath the smoke that just came out of their lungs.

Sounds like your complaint is with littering, not smoking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Smoking is a disgusting habit. Thank god people can't smoke in pubic out here and if they do, just have to tell them once..

I love living in NY. Illegal to smoke in public buildings. I can finally go to a restaurant without having to deal with the cigarette smoke. Unfortunately now they all sit out side the door, so you have to walk through a cloud to get inside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Now it's banned here I don't mind going to pubs or gigs etc any more. I can come home smelling as sweet as I normally do! :p
Anyone who wants to smell like an ashtrya must have a screw loose, and foisting it on the GP is a big no no for me.
Ban it forever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I don't smoke, but I really don't care when people smoke around me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Are you guys including smoking pot? Cause I'm cool with the occasional joint :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

You do know the exhaust fumes are more damaging?

I love living in NY. Illegal to smoke in public buildings. I can finally go to a restaurant without having to deal with the cigarette smoke. Unfortunately now they all sit out side the door, so you have to walk through a cloud to get inside.

I would never smoke in a restaurant anyway; I don't like to mix food with smoke. It sounds like having to stand at the doorway annoys you too... we certainly need better smoking areas. Get them out of the way so the smokers aren't huddled around the door, and the non-smokers don't have to deal with it.

Ban it forever!

As much as you may dislike smoking, trust me, it's in everybody's interest to keep smoking legal.

I would never smoke in most public buildings; but I believe in bookies, private clubs and pubs that don't serve food; it should be up to the owner of the premises rather than the government. If they feel smokers are harming their business then fair enough, let them ban it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ban it forever!
Drinking alcohol can be bad for your health and it offends some people. The side effects can also lead to danger for others who don't drink. Let's ban it.
Eating fatty foods can be bad for you and it offends some people. Let's ban it.
Eating meat offends some people. Let's ban it.
Obesity can be bad for your health and it offends some people. Let's ban it.
Religion offends some people. Wild intrepretations can lead to deadly consequences for some groups. Let's ban it.
Driving cars makes too much air pollution. This offends some people. Let's ban it.
Some people don't like the color yellow. It hurts their eyes and it offends them. Let's ban it.

Does some of this sound silly and far-fetched? Of course it does.
So does this:
Smoking can be bad for your health and it offends some people. Its effects can be bad for others who don't smoke. Let's ban it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
guess alot of you have never been adicted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Drinking alcohol can be bad for your health and it offends some people. The side effects can also lead to danger for others who don't drink. Let's ban it.
Eating fatty foods can be bad for you and it offends some people. Let's ban it.
Eating meat offends some people. Let's ban it.
Obesity can be bad for your health and it offends some people. Let's ban it.
Religion offends some people. Wild intrepretations can lead to deadly consequences for some groups. Let's ban it.
Driving cars makes too much air pollution. This offends some people. Let's ban it.
Some people don't like the color yellow. It hurts their eyes and it offends them. Let's ban it.

Does some of this sound silly and far-fetched? Of course it does.
So does this:
Smoking can be bad for your health and it offends some people. Its effects can be bad for others who don't smoke. Let's ban it.
None of those impact or otherwise effect other people, unless they're being heavily abused. Cigarettes, when being used as intended, does impact me.

Nobody's arguing that car fumes are just as bad, but driving is much more a necessity, smoking is basically a frivolous luxury. If you want to enjoy it, do so in a way that doesn't bother others.

I'm by no means for government regulation of things, but this I fully agree with.

Oh and Village Idiot, I fixed your title for you :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do not smoke and never have. I really don't like being around it either and sometimes it makes me feel bad, but I never bug people about it. I warn close friends who are smoking a lot that it is bad for them but that is all.

I would rather not have to be around the smoke if I had my choice though. Most of my friends have quit or never have smoked.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You do know the exhaust fumes are more damaging?

Actually, I would think that being hit with a burning object is a little more dangerous that exhaust fumes, and if a person keeps their cars running properly, then that wouldn't be a problem.

Smoking sections really don't work in restaurants. You can still smell the smoke and it still stinks.

Sometimes if I'm at some of the smaller local bars, I have to walk outside because my eyes start burning and watering from the cigarette smoke.

It also makes my clothes reek. I do shower daily, but it really sucks to toss on a hoody that I was wearing the night before and still have to smell the smoke. Makes other people think I stink too.

Either way, both groups of people see it as an inconvenience to them, it's just that second hand smoke as been proven to be bad for you, so it's something that is harmful to the person smoking and the people around them. WV is horrible because everyone here smokes, and that's only a very slight exaggeration. Out of ten friends(off the top of my head), two of us don't smoke.

It's also shown that smoking bans are not bad for business. The few smokers who choose to stop going out after a ban has been put in place will be replaced by non smokers who were put off from going out because of the smoke. Plus as stated in the other thread, there are people that are allergic to smoke. A guy I went to high school with was walking back from the cafeteria on the campus of a college and got smoke in his eyes. He spent the rest of the day suffering because of it.

Plus it creates excess litter. Most people that I see smoking in cars throw the butts out the window. No one uses ashtrays. And the outside of buildings are littered with cigarette butts because people throw them on the ground, rather than walking to an ashtray. Smoking almost got banned from the government building where I work because people were throwing their butts on the ground and around the ashtray. Once that notice was put out, people started using the ashtrays for a little while.

I think if people that smoked were a little more curteous, then others wouldn't have as big a problem with it. I'm just generalizing there, but how many times do you see some one walk outside of a restaurant and light up a cigarette right infront of the door, rather than walking ten or twenty feet away? It's not a building's obligation to provide shelter to a smoker because they choose to engage in an activity, that the owners of the building or the local government dictate, that isn't allowed in that establishment. It's like saying that since I like chewing gum, every table at the restaurants I go to should contain waste dispensers for me to place my gum in, or else I'll spit it on the floor. Chewing gum doesn't affect other people than the chewer though, so it's not really a good comparison, but you get the idea.

Plus if you quit smoking, you'll realize how bad it smells.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I fall under the category of "Social Smoker". That means that if I am with someone who smokes, I'll light up, if not I won't. I don't smoke at home and only buy smokes when I know I'll be with smokers. I can go long periods (months) without smoking with no ill effects and then can start up again if I'm with a smoker. I am not addicted as it turns out, I do it for the social aspects.

All that being said, I hate being in enclosed smoking places. I prefer to light up outside, preferably with a breeze where the stink doesn't get on my clothes. I wash my hands when I am done and usually pop a breath mint or two. I occasionally smoke in rental cars, never my own, and I am guilty of tossing the butts out the window. That's life. Deal.

I agree with ban on smoking in-doors in public, or within 50 feet of a public building. I am, however, against laws telling me I can't smoke in a car or my own home, even if it is around kids.

F

Fallooza

Because I don't enjoy having cigarette butts bounced off of me @ 70mph because everyone that drives would rather throw them out the window than use their ashtray.
...im also against litterin and throwin stuff at people.

I still catch second hand smoke on a bike. Nothing like pulling a perfect trip through the mountains to get stuck behind a cager and having to breath the smoke that just came out of their lungs.

what's a cager? are you sayin you inhale second hand smoke when you are on your bike and a person in a car drives by while smokin
...it's just that second hand smoke as been proven to be bad for you, so it's something that is harmful to the person smoking and the people around them.

has it?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
...im also against litterin and throwin stuff at people.

what's a cager? are you sayin you inhale second hand smoke when you are on your bike and a person in a car drives by while smokin

has it?

When driving behind some one who's smoking with their windows down or sitting behind them. Even on the highway, doing 65-85mph, I can tell when the person infront of me is smoking. It's ok though. There's a reason you don't pick fights with a fully geared bike rider.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...n+effects+of+second+hand+smoke&fr=yfp-t-501-s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
30 years ago everyone and their dog smoked cigs.. It was "the thing to do" and very very few people had any issues with it. Today people have proof that its bad for your health and all of a sudden people want smoking to be illegal. I think its a joke! You mean to tell me that 30 years ago when no one had an issue with it everyone just figured that sucking smoke into their lungs was good for their health? That is some weird logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
This is absurd.

1). Second hand smoke has no permanent effects, unless you are around it ALL (meaning for years) the time. The human body has a wonderful way of cleaning itself up (http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afte..._quitting.htm).

2). Government has NO business telling people what is good for them. Since when has government been established to protect people from themselves?

3). If smoking is not bad for people around you, and government has no place banning people from smoking, where is the logic of banning it? Because non-smokers are inconvenienced? Because it annoys you? Crying babies annoy me. I would rather have five people sitting around me smoking at a restaurant than have one crying baby. We should absolutely ban them.

Face it. There is no logic in a country-wide ban. If an individual establishment wants to ban smoking, they are more than welcome to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Plus it creates excess litter. Most people that I see smoking in cars throw the butts out the window. No one uses ashtrays.
I use an ashtray, as do my friends that smoke. That is what they are there for. Smoking itself doesn't create excess litter. Iconsiderate people who throw things on the ground create litter.
I think if people ... were a little more curteous, then others wouldn't have as big a problem with it.
I agree. Both smokers and non-smokers need to be more courteous towards each other. I don't have any problem putting out a cigarette or refraining from lighting one in the first place if someone asks politely that I don't smoke.

Plus if you quit smoking, you'll realize how bad it smells.
I like the smell of cigarette smoke... and cigar smoke... and pipe smoke. It is one of the reasons I enjoy it. I did stop smoking for about 2 years before. Every time I smelled it, it was like an aphrodisiac and I did enjoy the odor.
Smells, tastes, are subjective and open for opinion.

And yes, prolonged and constant exposure to second-hand smoke... each and every day for hours at a time... over the course of several years... (as in living with someone who smokes) can affect a non-smoker in a negative way.
Yes, sitting next to a smoker at a restaraunt or merely walking through a puff or strolling past a group of smokers a couple of times a day can be unpleasant.. but it is not going to cause any long-term ill effect.
Now, if you frequent bars and pubs where there is heavy smoke... each and every day... for hours at a time... then you might have an issue. But then again, the constant drinking day after day, hour after hour at the pub isn't going to help you much either.

I don't deny that smoking is unhealthy and has the potential to cause damage. I am fully aware of the risks and dangers that come with it.
However, I don't buy into propaganda of either side, for or against it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I don't smoke, but I don't mind the smell because I used to... Although every time I do get a whiff, I want to start up again and that annoys me...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.