Got my 1st Mac tryiing to transfer photos having hard time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a switcher. I'm a noobie to the photoshop world. It began one day last summer when a friends sister was doing some editing on her mac and I couldn't help noticing what she was doing. So now I got myself one to. I love this photoshop program. I've also placed an order for that one on one training video because I rather see it being done than reading it on a book...to slow.

I got this macbook pro 17" used and it works great. I've maxed out the ram and installed a couple of cool programs like lojack because I live in a low social economic area prone to displacement of expensive objects. The cool deal is that it came with all sorts of programs like the CS3 suits.

My question, is there anyway to back up the CS3 and all the other nice programs that came with the computer to disk.

Another question is how do I transfer the photos that I worker on with my PC using Photoshop elements 4.0 to my Mac specifically CS3. I tryed but the Mac state's it dose not reconize Photoshop elements 4.0

Anyone have any idea ???
Thanx

M

MacHeadCase

About the CS3 disks: you are asking to circumvent copy protection. Sorry but it can't be discussed here. Forum rules say:

4 - Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.

So "low social economic area prone to displacement of expensive objects" or not, you can hide those disks somewhere or make them safe somewhere, can you not?

And about those photos, they are saved as .jpgs or .tifs or whatever so Photoshop Elements 4 does not come in this equation. You are not transferring the app, only the images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I understand you're allowed to make a single backup copy of the physical discs, but it's not easy to backup the actual installed program. The CD comes with an installer on it, which installs a lot of files throughout your machine. To back up Photoshop, you'd have to trawl through finding all sort of files and even then it would probably not reinstall if you put it back.

So physically, it's not really possible to backup what's on your machine in Photoshop's case.

BTW, do you have that quote in your clipboard permanently MHC? :) ;D

M

MacHeadCase

Heck I can't help the regularity of this type of questions, man. And that isn't my choice. You supposedly register and agree to follow the forum rules but it seems like some people skip certain parts, know what I mean? ;)

I think I will set up a special keyboard shortcut in Texpander for that one. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I understand not discussing illegal activity..but I was not aware what he was attempting to do was in violation of any software agreement. Are you sure that what he is asking to do is in violation? I am not aware of any copy protection present on the CS3 disks or any policy in their software agreement against making an iso backup...

I am not really stating one way or another. I am honestly interested in finding out if this is in fact technically a violation of something I was not aware of or if that was an assumption.

*edit* I just called Adobe Support and they told me it was both okay to make a copy of your install CD for backup purposes AND okay to make a ISO or DMG image backup on your computer. the only violation would be in misusing said copies to then distribute the software illegally. *edit*

M

MacHeadCase

Well reading this:

Another question is how do I transfer the photos that I worker on with my PC using Photoshop elements 4.0 to my Mac specifically CS3. I tryed but the Mac state's it dose not reconize Photoshop elements 4.0

from the OP makes no sense to me. Since when is an image non transferrable from a WinBox to Mac? Macs can even read BMPs! It makes no difference if Elements for PC was used, an image is an image is an image and, unless a proprietary file format was used (as in a PC-only app was used), the Mac should read it. And especially in Elements case, it will save an image in a file format that is readable on a Mac.

Heck! Preview even opens .psd files.

Edited to add:

This makes me think he doesn't even have the CS3 install disks to begin with:

The cool deal is that it came with all sorts of programs like the CS3 suits.

and that he wants to find a way to make copies of what is already installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
It sounds like he tryed to put his windows Elements install CD into the mac thinking he had to have the same program on both in order to view the images.

Keep in mind this is someone who aparently bought a mac because he thinks Photoshop is a mac only program. least that is how the original post read. So I will assume he simply isn't terribly computer literate. To the original poster. All you need to do is transfer the pictures themselves. No programs. Burn the photos to a blank CD or copy them to a FAT-32 partitioned removeable hard drive and you will be able to transfer them from your windows pc to your MAC.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm doing what any other person would do in my case

First i would like to apologize to the community if what i was trying to do is illegal. I will abstain from such questioning.
My interest into the mac world began with Photoshop Elements 4.0 which I saw being used on a PC.
I mainly us my PC for ms.word,email,banking,news,weather,google,youtube,itunes, and latley Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere elements 2.0. Which I
got at the local "better purchases"
I had no problems with the photoshop elements. I Read the book that came with the disk and off I go making the first zillion dollar bill with the picture of a famous president.

Premiere elements 2.0 wasn't as easy going. I took some video using my DV cam, loaded what I wanted into PE2 played with it adding all the cool affects .
The 1st 5 min of video was great but after that everything began slowing down. I had 2 gigs of ram and 500GB external Hard D. SATA. So i shouldn't have problems. But the more video and audio I played with the harder it became to edit and play back in full motion. Sometimes the video would freeze and the audio would continue to play through. It got very frustrating.

I've since given the Laptop to family and the love I got back in their words "cool". I've purchased a used MacBook Pro from local people. It came with 2 gigs of Ram with a 200GB HD @ 42 RPMs, I belief. I wanted 72 but oh well. The screen is glossy but I have no preferences. I've stated the programs that came with it. I was given a killer price "an offer I could not refuse". The OS disk came with it and the "little garage door opener"
So I bought it.
It's been 2 weeks now and I'm having a blast with the CS3 suits. I'm beginning to discover After Effects. Like Harry Potter getting his taste of the magic wann, I'm over joyed with my video of grandma bending over shooting an energy blast hitting the dog, cat.. Rooof..Mellow...

The computer I bought is used and I wanted to back up the programs that came with it to disk therefore I would have a physical copy. Can't blame me for that. Thoughts of digital gremlins cross my mind. I don't want to lose these programs. So i tryed backing up the programs to my external. No Luck either. Yes I am a novice please have mercy on my soul. Let he or she who was never a beginner cast that stone. I'm just trying to protect my investment.

as for the pictures in PE4 what I had done was downloaded the entire program onto my external and not the JPEG files. What I was trying to do was opening PE4 with CS3. In thinking that CS3 would be able to just pull the JPEG files out.

M

MacHeadCase

No, you need to import only the images, the program that made those images does not count.

As for making backups of those installed CS3 apps, the seller did something illegal by not giving you the CS3 install disks if he knowingly intended you to use those apps. If he wanted to keep those apps (i.e. the installer disks) for himself, he should have deleted them from the hard drive if he wanted on the side of legality.

And not everyone wants to do what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Yes, if you don't have the CDs for apps like CS3 you may be SOL as it relates to backing up the application. Simple MAC applications can be easily backed up in the manner you want but CS3 is a bit more complicated.

*I WANT A PIZZA, DO YOU?*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.