Anything like QuickBooks for the Mac?

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased (about 2 weeks ago) the 20" Aluminum iMac. Got the 2.4Ghz, 320GB, HD 2600 256MB version.

I installed BootCamp and Windows works fine for what I need it for at the moment. I am trying to remove my dependency on Windows, however, I cannot find anything like QuickBooks for the Mac.

I know they make a copy of QuickBooks, but it crashes on my computer for some reason. My guess is it doesn't have good Leopard compatibility.

I am using iBank for my personal finances, but I desperatley need something that will let me record business expenses, invoices, etc.

My main concern is being able to generate a P&L report and other reports I will need at tax time to make my taxes easier.

It also needs to be able to sync up with my bank account (which allows me to export data in QIF, Quickbooks, and a bunch of other formats).

If anyone knows of such a program (preferably free, but I am willing to buy software if its solid) please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
+2 Need help with this. I was going to buy quickbooks with my new imac but after reading this I'll wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I've done a lot of reading on this (I'm trying to move away from MS money), and the "general consensus" is that you should stick with the Windows version of Quickbooks. Check out the Quickbooks for Mac reviews on Amazon and you'll see a ton of reviews basically trashing it. I use iBank for my personal finances but I can't create a Schedule C so it's useless for my small business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I am using quicken for my personal finances and works quite well.... never had a crash in last 6 months of use. If you wish to stick to quickbooks windows version without having to depend on windows, why dont you give a try to Crossover which will help you run the windows version of quickbooks without having to install windows OS... I guess they support upto QB2004 (dont know if thats the latest).

OP
A
Reaction score
QuickBooks 2008 I believe is the latest, so Crossover won't be much help. I was actually using the QuickBooks starter edition that is free through Intuit since it is sufficient for me for now and was planning to upgrade to a better version soon.

I guess I will have to Bootcamp my way into Windows everytime Business stuff comes up.

This is a MAJOR drawback of the Apple platform. Someone needs to rectify the lack of financial software for small businesses and fast!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am running QuickBook pro 2006 on my Mac Pro (OS X 10.4.10) with no problems. It could be like it was suggested above. That it may need to be patched to run on OS X 10.5.

Reaction score
I just bought an Imac a few days ago and purchased quickbooks for mac 07 (lady I talked to said there won't be an 08 version) and there is a patch to get it to work with leopard which was easy enough to install. I made a backup copy on my windows machine for mac and everything imported perfectly and just playing around with it the last couple of nights everything seems to be working just fine. Not sure if it matters but the quickbooks for windows I backed up on was pro 2007

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I guess I will have to Bootcamp my way into Windows everytime Business stuff comes up.
This is a MAJOR drawback of the Apple platform. Someone needs to rectify the lack of financial software for small businesses and fast!

Well not really. Why dont you consider running windows on VMware/ parallels. If you want free virtulization software, you can use Virtual box... That way you can run windows without having to reboot the machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
I just bought an Imac a few days ago and purchased quickbooks for mac 07 (lady I talked to said there won't be an 08 version) and there is a patch to get it to work with leopard which was easy enough to install. I made a backup copy on my windows machine for mac and everything imported perfectly and just playing around with it the last couple of nights everything seems to be working just fine. Not sure if it matters but the quickbooks for windows I backed up on was pro 2007

According to an article from another site found here http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/16/quicken.2008.mac.leopard/ Quicken 2008 is supposedly under development. I hope the article is correct because I would like to purchase it myself. Quicken 2008 and Office 2008 are on my wish list for next year.

Reaction score
how about....

MYOB?

I use that becuase you cannot get a UK version of quickbooks for Mac.

It will also convert your quickbooks files to the MYOB format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.