iCal help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
is there a reason why iCal on tiger says July 17th when closed, and once running says the current date?

i had installed leopard a few days ago, and had to go back to tiger for network reasons, but in leopard, it says the current date in the dock, regardless if iCal is running or not?

is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
Yep, it's normal. The reason of the static Date (17th) on tiger is because of the release date of iCal. I guess they figured everyone was kinda' annoyed by this and changed it in Leopard.

I think it was the release date... I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
That's not alltogether accurate.

iCal in Tiger is required to be RUNNING to show the correct date in the dock. This irked a few people, as it took up memory processes to keep it running just to show the date in the dock.

Now, in Leopard, there is some type of system extension that dynamically changes the iCal icon in the dock based upon the currently set system date.

If you need to use Tiger and want the correct date in the dock, just keep iCal running (you don't need a window open).

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
snoslicer.. thats exactly what i was saying.

i figured july 17th must of been a significant date, if thats the only date it would show in the dock.

i upgraded to leopard, and one of the things i enjoyed was a up-to day ical icon.

so i guess i'll just have to wait for leopard to work the bugs out, and go back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.