HELP - Can't install windows xp using bootcamp

Reaction score
I can't successfully install my wxp software using bootcamp. Once the windows setup start I receive a message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". "sessions3_initialization_failed". Can someone please help!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't successfully install my wxp software using bootcamp. Once the windows setup start I receive a message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". "sessions3_initialization_failed". Can someone please help!!!

Windows Setup is actually a scaled down version of Windows itself - and it seems in your case, the OS is crashing for some reason. My guess would be that you have a bad disc or are not using a disc that is compatible with Boot Camp.

You must use a non-branded OEM or retail copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 integrated. If it says "Dell" or "HP" or any other vendor name on the disc, it won't work. Also, it must specifically have Service Pack 2 integrated. If you don't have an SP2-integrated disc, you can create one from a Windows machine using a tutorial like this one.

Also, one other important note - you can only use a Windows disc that has *not* been installed on another computer. Windows includes something called product activation which is a form of copy protection. It can only be used on one machine at a time unless it is a volume-license (corporate) edition.

OP
B
Reaction score
I had a brand new copy of windows xp w service pack 2. Someone else told me that maybe the disk was damaged. I returned the disk to the store and receive a new one. I tried installing straight through boot camp and I even went out and brought fusion, but I'm still having the same problem. Thanks for the support!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz
Try this:
Unplug all devices except Keyboard and Mouse, I had similar issues until I disconnected all peripheral devices. I successfully installed XP then it would hang on screen where you select Windows or Mac. Now my computer only hangs at selection screen when something is plugged into 1st USB port on Monitor of iMac. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.