Importing CSV File into Address Problems!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
I use MS Outlook at work and want to import this info into address book. I have created a CSV file and tried repeatedly to import the names into address book. When I have selected all the fields in the import pop up and hit OK, nothing happens.

Help - I have only had the Mac for 2 weeks, love the way it handles, but some of the quirks are irritating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
have you tries exporting the contacts as a .vcf file - I dunno if outlooks exports in this address format but worth atry

OP
oleviking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Outlook will not export as vcf file - solved the problem, using Thunderbird, much easier to import the address book - doesn't have the smart mailboxes that Mail has, but now I have the address book I need.

OP
oleviking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe not so fast - Thunderbird doesn't have a category in the address, something I would like - is there another mail client or contact software that will work like the Outlook address book and allow categories for individuals?

Also, the Apple Mail program has the great smart mailboxes -- can I get an address book that works with that program and has categories?

OP
oleviking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone? Would like an address book that has catagories and works with Apple Mail - and that I can import my CSV outlook list into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac base
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. I have a csv but it won't import to mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz / Lion; MBPro 2009; iPhone 4S; iPad 2
Is there any life left in this thread?

Similarly, I need to have 2 fields for address after the name and before the Town / City, like street + district, which is the case for about 40% of my addresses held currently in an Access database. It seems so commonplace to have addresses in this format, in the UK, anyway- how can I get Address Book to recognise them? I have tried going via Thunderbird, which works in every other respect, (export as .ldif file) and also played around with Bento, which claims to integrate with Address Book.

I also have a good number of custom fields I would like to import.

Going down the route of a stand alone database would defeat the object of integration provided by using Address Book (iSync with PDA, etc.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.