help please - new to macs

Reaction score
hi, i know there are probably a billion topics regarding this subject, but i was wondering if someone who actually owns a mac could help me out with some practical stuff.

i am/will be new to macs, but the pc that i run now just isnt cutting it any more. vista looks like it would be a disappointment and i am just sick of windows as a whole. so, of course, i want to purchase a mac. but im having trouble finding what will be right for me. first of all, i want a computer that is well rounded. i take advantage of a lot of things, meaning that i play games, browse media, work, IM and many other things. i am mainly looking for speed in a new computer, but compared to my current system anything looks fast. space isnt to much of a concern for me, 80 gigs is more than enough.

so the mac mini seems like a good option at first glance because i already have a working display, keyboard, mouse, etc. but the tech specs dont seem very revolutionary to me. im not too picky when it comes to computers, but i do want to get the most bang for my buck. does leopard run (just as) well on a mini as it does on any other mac? or does that jump to an imac really make a difference?

i have more questions but need to gather my thoughts first. thanks in advance

PS: is it possible to add RAM to an existing mac? i already own 1 gig of it that i bought for my current computer(a pc)- would that work with a new mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Welcome to Mac-Forums elambing!

Your observation about the MacMini is quite correct. It has a Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of shared memory. This alone will make it a bad candidate for a game PC. It is also difficult to add RAM at a later stage unless you take it back to a Apple store(or willing to risk your warranty).

In my opinion iMac is the most suitable Mac for your requirements. It has a separate Graphic card which is powerful enough to run fair number of games and do all other things without any problem.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks

haha yeah, i will probably end up going for the iMac. on the subject of RAM though, you can go into the apple store and they would perform the "operation" themselves?

thanks again :D

Reaction score
haha yeah, i will probably end up going for the iMac. on the subject of RAM though, you can go into the apple store and they would perform the "operation" themselves?

thanks again :D

Hi there,

first rule...never buy ram from apple...the prices are outrageous!
I'd recommend buying the lowest ram config possible and upgrading your mac on your own. It will save you some serious bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It is very easy to upgrade the RAM in the iMac - just undo one screw and slot in a new stick.
Unless you're having loads of programs open at once though, 1Gb is still fine for everyday tasks and games. For gaming though, you need to get the 2.4Ghz Radeon HD2600 model of iMac however - the HD2400 doesn't cut it.

I'm afraid your PC memory won't work. The iMac takes laptop SODIMM memory.

OP
E
Reaction score
1 more question-

It is very easy to upgrade the RAM in the iMac - just undo one screw and slot in a new stick.
Unless you're having loads of programs open at once though, 1Gb is still fine for everyday tasks and games. For gaming though, you need to get the 2.4Ghz Radeon HD2600 model of iMac however - the HD2400 doesn't cut it.

I'm afraid your PC memory won't work. The iMac takes laptop SODIMM memory.

aww, it was worth a try at least. and im hearing a lot about the graphics card, it seems like the imac is the one for me!

however, would putting that new RAM in void the warranty?

Hi there,

first rule...never buy ram from apple...the prices are outrageous!
I'd recommend buying the lowest ram config possible and upgrading your mac on your own. It will save you some serious bucks.

thanks for the heads up, ill definately take your advice to heart!

thank you for all the help guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Why not upgrade the iMac before the final purchase? if you're going off the apple website just "customize" it and add more memory? Sure it's a bit pricey but if you have somoene that is unsure of "operating" on their own mac, this is the safest way.

Reaction score
hi, i know there are probably a billion topics regarding this subject, but i was wondering if someone who actually owns a mac could help me out with some practical stuff.

i am/will be new to macs, but the pc that i run now just isnt cutting it any more. vista looks like it would be a disappointment and i am just sick of windows as a whole. so, of course, i want to purchase a mac. but im having trouble finding what will be right for me. first of all, i want a computer that is well rounded. i take advantage of a lot of things, meaning that i play games, browse media, work, IM and many other things. i am mainly looking for speed in a new computer, but compared to my current system anything looks fast. space isnt to much of a concern for me, 80 gigs is more than enough.

so the mac mini seems like a good option at first glance because i already have a working display, keyboard, mouse, etc. but the tech specs dont seem very revolutionary to me. im not too picky when it comes to computers, but i do want to get the most bang for my buck. does leopard run (just as) well on a mini as it does on any other mac? or does that jump to an imac really make a difference?

i have more questions but need to gather my thoughts first. thanks in advance

PS: is it possible to add RAM to an existing mac? i already own 1 gig of it that i bought for my current computer(a pc)- would that work with a new mac?

I own a Mac Pro, dual processors dual cores. It is fast enough for most of what I do. The overhead to run all of the anti virus, anti spyware and all of that loads up a PC. The memory from a PC won't work in a Mac Pro. You will be happy with a Mac, they actually work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.