What is Quicksilver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have owned my iMac about a month now. Leopard seems to be running just fine. Now I am looking for things to make the computer my own. I see alot of raves on these forums for Quicksilver. I have not yet been able to grasp what it does or what it replaces. Have done some googling, to seek out exactly what the app is for. Not having much success. Their own website seems to be down at the moment.

Can someone please summarize what this app does, and why it is easier or better than what the standard program does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Dunno but here's some info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBvFUhTqKK4

Looks like an app launcher to me.

Mac OS X only The keyboard shortcut loving Mac owner's favorite app Quicksilver has received a minor update presumably in preparation for the upcoming ...

T

Reaction score
Quicksilver is an open-source application launcher for OS X.

In a nutshell, it's an app that you never see unless you invoke it with a keyboard shortcut you set.

This brings up an interface that lets you begin typing and automatically shows you the best results for your search among documents, apps, contacts etc.

Of course, you'll say, Spotlight in OS X already does this. I agree, but Quicksilver has a plugin architecture with a wide variety of functionality you can add - for example, you can control certain apps right from your keyboard with Quicksilver.

My favorite example is del.icio.us for Quicksilver - it let's me access all my delicious bookmarks just by hitting the shortcut and starting to type.

You can also control spotlight, send email to contacts and things like that.

See also:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect...com/media/macbreak/macbreak-017-450p-h264.mov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_(software)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
its just a glorifies spotlight application. i had it and tried it out after all the great things people have said about it but i never really took to it.

Reaction score
quicksilver is actually for those who user their keyboard or want to use their keyboard to do a lot of stuff.
like someone mentioned above it is basically a app launcher BUT you actually can do a whole lot more with it. there are countless plugins for this app that enable you to control iTunes if you want, have a clipboard history, storage, and much more.
I personally love quicksilver and couldn't live without it.
However, you do have to read some how tos or tutorials to get the point of quicksilver. If you don't you probably will uninstall it in a couple of hours because all you see in it will be just a fancy version of spotlight with a bezel on your screen.

I highly recommend this useful utility.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
thanks for the feedback. The youtube and Wiki links were informative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.