Different away messages for different people?

I

Icarus

Ever hear of this? Hype.it seems to think it would be an applescript, but I'd be damned if I could figure that out.
See, the reason I'd like to try and do this is the following -

My mommy just got AIM, right? With the sole purpose of keeping in touch with her baby while he's away at college.

So when I'm away from my computer and I put up an away message like, "drinking..." (I'm talking about soda pop) I can't have her see that, now can I? (she might think I was drinking something I shouldn't!

So I'd rather her see something like, "studying" or something. Anybody know how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In iChat click the phrase under your screen name and choose custom from the pull down menu, you can do that with both online and away messages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
yeah... but he wants a different message for everyone... so one person sees "i'm away" another "i'm out drinking". But the same message to those same people every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Who are you trying to fool, any parent that tries to prevent their kid from drinking in college needs a clue. :p

Honestly though, I've never heard of something like that, I just never put up away messages.

OP
W

WilliS

rofl

in my opinion put "BUSY" and be done with it lol

or make up code words with your friends if you are that paranoid...

Studying = drinking
studying = actually studying... your mom would never notice

a capital letter is the difference between straight A's and puking! :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I say you don't put up drinking at all, and just stick with one away message.

OP
J

jaetique

Maybe you should go with "quenching thirst".
Or something like that. Who's to know what you're doing anyway? I usually just stick with a general message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.