Slow Wireless

Reaction score
New mac user here and loving the switch minus one isssue that I am seeing. Hopefully its just some setting I'm missing for being new.

I have a MBP 15" and from some reason my wireless seems slow connecting to and from my XP desktop and nas. (Runs as expected on the internet and doesn't drop connection either) Copying files to isn't as bad as copying files from those devices on my network. Copying a 15mb file to the devices takes about a min or 2 (slow but not horrible) but from the devices it takes more than 5 mins at times. My other xp laptop copies files to and from using wireless without issue and much faster (kind of tells me I have a setting off somewhere). Anywho the wireless router is a linksys wrt54gx2 and I'm running mac osx 10.5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
--Todd

Reaction score
I have this same problem with my new 17'' laptop. I have to sit in the same room with my wireless router in order to receive a strong signal. Help someone, please!

OP
T
Reaction score
Well I have a strong signal. I just tested some more and guess I was wrong it both to and from. A wired connection copies as I would expect, wireless is just extremely slow for the mac

Reaction score
This problem has been bothering me since the day i've switched...

The AirPort has compatibility issues with certain AP/Router vendors.

I've installed the AirPort software updates (using Mac's built in Software Update tool) without any improvement.

Probably the only solution is to purchase new hardware.

I hope this thread finds a cheaper solution, until then guess we'll just have to put up with it.

Another note, the wireless connection is not slow, it is unstable. Well, atleast mine is.

The signal is constantly strong regardless where in the house the laptop is positioned, even outside the house. At times it will operate at full capacity, and other times it will cease to function completely. It is unstable, must be compatibility.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thats kind of a bummer to hear, so do you know if there is a published list of supported routers?

Reaction score
Not that I could find...

While searching for an answer I came across this:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1110450

The following thread discusses compatibility between Apple and other vendors.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=29175

It may have something to do with the Wi-Fi standard these devices are operating at. Is your router equipped with 802.11g/n functionality? Mine only has 802.11b.
The current standard for wireless networking is called 802.11b, which transmits information at a speed of 11Mbps. By comparison, regular wired networks connect at 100Mbps. Make sure the wireless product you buy has been "WiFi" certified, as this means they have been tested for compatibility with other brands. An emerging specification for wireless is 802.11g (such as in the case of the Apple AirPort Extreme) which boasts transfer speeds up to 54Mbps. However, you'll need to have a matching 802.11g card on your PC, and in the case of the AirPort, it means you'll need a Mac to get the full benefits of the speed increase.
(http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/28/1048653849165.html)

This may be the reason for the compatibility issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.