recording cassette tapes to mp3 with macbook?

Reaction score
could i use a cassette tape walkman with a double ended 3.5mm headphone cable and the line in on my macbook to record some tapes to mp3?

i guess software like audio hijacker would be best for this?

is this the easiest way of copying tapes to the modern age?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Modern Age is to rip a CD or buy the music off iTunes or Amazon. But if you need the stuff from the tapes, apart from professional equipment, what you have suggested seems to be ideal. Just plug it in, and record it with Quicktime Pro or some other application capable of recording (Garageband and some others). Don't need AudioHijack for this, as it is a little more advanced and may alter system files.

OP
N
Reaction score
Modern Age is to rip a CD or buy the music off iTunes or Amazon. But if you need the stuff from the tapes, apart from professional equipment, what you have suggested seems to be ideal. Just plug it in, and record it with Quicktime Pro or some other application capable of recording (Garageband and some others). Don't need AudioHijack for this, as it is a little more advanced and may alter system files.

id love to just rip it off a cd, but its not available on CD or itunes, and i already own the tapes. they are live recording in tape packs from 10 or so years ago.

why would audio hijack alter system files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well in some instances it needs to install components like APE and some other stuff. If you have AudioHijack, then go ahead and use it. Otherwise there's always Garageband and Quicktime...

Reaction score
About 10 years and two computers ago I bought a Sony boom box with line in and line out, to transfer CDs and tapes back and forth. I've never bothered with the "forth," though.

But now I have triplicates and even four copies of some of the same stuff: 78s, with some of the same recordings on LPs and 45s (and some of the same purchased on CDs) transferred to tape, then transferred to iTunes.

I ended up with the Sony because it was the only boom box in the store with line in and line out. I still use it.

Reaction score
could i use a cassette tape walkman with a double ended 3.5mm headphone cable and the line in on my macbook to record some tapes to mp3?

i guess software like audio hijacker would be best for this?

is this the easiest way of copying tapes to the modern age?
thanks

You can get some good tips here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Audio Hijack is perfect for this, and they do a free version. I use it for tape and vinyl rips, though I use a usb interface as I don't have line in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.