File Info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Hi All,

Is there any easier way in Finder to get some basic file info than right-clicking and selecting "Get Info" for each file? Ideally, I'd love for the status bar to show that X file is 50MB and was last accessed on XX/XX/XXXX -- or a toolbar, or a folder pane, or something.

Also, is there any way to get OS X to show file extensions all the time?

Thanks!

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Hi All,

Is there any easier way in Finder to get some basic file info than right-clicking and selecting "Get Info" for each file? Ideally, I'd love for the status bar to show that X file is 50MB and was last accessed on XX/XX/XXXX -- or a toolbar, or a folder pane, or something.

Also, is there any way to get OS X to show file extensions all the time?

Thanks!

J

Well Command+I opens Get Info
Command+Option+i opens a dynamic Get Info, which shows you information for any selected item(s)

The list view will show you all kinds of information pertaining to files.

As for Extensions, while in finder, hit Command+, (Comma) for Finder preferences. In the advanced tab, there is a Show extensions option

Reaction score
Under finder with a window open select VIEW -- Show view options.
Choose view as list and the radio button all that you'd like to display in the window. Choose for all windows. Extensions... not so sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Another thing you can do, and I do this for every new Mac I get (two of them now, heh) is in a Finder window, you can right click on the tool bar (the bar at the top that's below the three buttons, and has the gear like icon with the view options) and select Customize Toolbar. You'll be given an option to put a 'Get info' on the Toolbar. So then in any Finder window you can highlight the icon of the file/folder you want info then just click the blue button. Yeah, it's not the same as having the info below the file, but then again it's quick.

You can also drag often used folders into that tool bar so they're just a click away.

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Thanks for the replies everybody. They're appreciated as always :)

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.