How do I

Reaction score
Hello everybody! This is my first post.

I have just been told that, as I have been an admirer of MAC computers for such a long time, Santa Claus is going to deliver a brand new iMac for Christmas.

I am getting a bit long in tooth for learning new skills but I will give it a good go. I have used a PC for years now and I would like some kind forum member to advise me on how to transfer the many photos, videos and music files from my old PC to my new iMac.:Oops:

Thanks in advance!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You came to the right place. You'll love the iMac.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, fixerman!

You might want to consider getting yourself a book to help soothe your transition pains to the Mac.

David Pogue has a great book that we always suggest to any member asking for a reference book. The Missing Manual series is terrific and the Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual is said to be released at the end of 2007, early 2008, I believe.

Reaction score
Well, as no direct answer to your question has been posted yet, I'd suggest saving all to an external HD or Burning DVD/CD's. This also give you a backup and let's you organize them to your liking.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Well, as no direct answer to your question has been posted yet, I'd suggest saving all to an external HD or Burning DVD/CD's. This also give you a backup and let's you organize them to your liking.

Thanks for the prompt reply. If I save all the files to be transferred to an external hard drive will the Imac be able to read them when I plug it in to the USB port?

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums, fixerman!

You might want to consider getting yourself a book to help soothe your transition pains to the Mac.

David Pogue has a great book that we always suggest to any member asking for a reference book. The Missing Manual series is terrific and the Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual is said to be released at the end of 2007, early 2008, I believe.

Thanks for the advice! I have just preordered it on Amazon.

M

MacHeadCase

Great! I think you'll find the book very helpful!

For now you could take a look at the stickied threads at the top of the Switcher Hangout forum: they're full of good info for anyone switching to the Mac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.