New Mac, Alarming Problems.

Reaction score
About a year ago I had my apartment broken into and robbed, and my PC and studio equipment were all stolen ($25,000 loss). This was right before xmas, and it was my new years plan to finally get insurance on everything… anyway, I figured since I always had an interest in the Mac – I would switch (being that I have no electronics at this point!)

Anyway, I have a nice new alum imac now. But I have many problems – well, not problems, but worries. I have to force quit applications like Safari, Mail, etc on a daily basis. In the past few weeks I’ve had to hard boot the mac many times because it completely stopped responding. I have no fancy or pirated software installed right now and I’m wondering – are these just general issues that mac users face and don’t say anything about? I have to say, I’m very disappointed with the system. Can somebody perhaps shed some light on my situation? I love the OS X interface and otherwise am very happy with my imac, but these problems are alarming. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've had no problems like those that you describe. What OS version are you running, and do you leave it on overnight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
Are you running leopard, and what applications do you have open when find that safari and mail are not responding?

Aby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4Ghz 2GB ram
I had those problems with my first imac too, a few weeks ago. I ended up talking to apple care a few times, and we discovered it was a hardware problem and they had to replace the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Whenever you buy a new computer. Be it mac or pc. If it doesn't work right when you first get it then take it back and exchange it for a different one.

OP
E
Reaction score
Whenever you buy a new computer. Be it mac or pc. If it doesn't work right when you first get it then take it back and exchange it for a different one.

How long do I have after purchasing the imac do I have to talk with Apple Care? Somewhere between 1 and 3 months I think. Is it a 800 #?

OP
E
Reaction score
Are you running leopard, and what applications do you have open when find that safari and mail are not responding?

I am running Leopard now, but i did have the same problems before the upgrade. It (the imac) just seems so much more unreliable than PCs I've owned. I usally have safari, mail, adium with growl open. Last night I imported some photos to iphoto and I was browsing them, and I had to do a hard reset. Coming out of the game "Prey" sometimes I also had to do a hard reset but not always. I have perian installed for codecs and sometimes run azaerus, but its not always going when I have the problems.

I've been working long hours but have the evenings off for the rest of the week so I'll see what happens.... I really like the mac a lot and hope I can find the root of this.

Reaction score
I have no problems with my iMac. Call the support line and see if the tech. can shed some light on you, if not, go get it exchange with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You have kept it on without a single reboot even though you had some issues and instability? Have you never heard the IT mantra (have you tryed a reboot yet?)?

When you buy a mac you have 90 days of phone support and 1 year of hardware support. If you buy a mac plan this extends both items to 3 years.

OP
E
Reaction score
You have kept it on without a single reboot even though you had some issues and instability? Have you never heard the IT mantra (have you tryed a reboot yet?)?

When you buy a mac you have 90 days of phone support and 1 year of hardware support. If you buy a mac plan this extends both items to 3 years.

Oh no, I've had to hard power it off quite a few times. I just meant that I haven't, for example, kept it off overnight, etc. It's been on basically 24/7 besides rebooting after updates or a crash.

That's good to know about the support.

Reaction score
All computers, whether Mac or PC, are designed to work properly. If your computer doesn't work right, have it checked out. Your satisfaction is important to Apple. They will get it fixed for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would recommend making an appointment with a Mac Genius instead of calling phone support. Phone support is convenient but they're definitely not as knowledgeable as the geniuses.

I thought I had a problem with my Mac Pro the first day. I tried to connect it to my stereo and when I did, the music still came out of the internal speaker. I spent 20 minutes dealing with phone support and after a few different tests, they set me up with an appointment with a Mac Genius. I had to lug this 60lb beast around the mall. I got there and the Apple Genius was like "Yea, do this." In 30 seconds he showed me what I needed to do.

I got the same runaround with my iPhone when I called for support. I called and called so many times trying to get help and nothing got resolved. I setup an appointment and they gave me a new phone no questions asked.

If you can take it to the Mac Geniuses, do it. They're great!! - Tony the Tiger

OP
E
Reaction score
All computers, whether Mac or PC, are designed to work properly. If your computer doesn't work right, have it checked out. Your satisfaction is important to Apple. They will get it fixed for you.

Well I saw this on Macworld...

Apple acknowledges iMac freezing issue
By Jim Dalrymple

Apple acknowledged on Thursday recent problems with its consumer iMac computer and promised a fix as soon as possible.

“A small number of iMac users have made us aware that a recent software update issued by Apple can sometimes cause their iMacs to freeze, requiring them to restart their iMac,” an Apple spokesperson told Macworld.

According to users the computer becomes unusable, requiring a hard reset in order to recover. Apple doesn’t know the exact cause of the problem, but they are investigating.

“We are tracking down the root cause of this bug, and will issue a software update which corrects it as soon as we can — most likely later this month,” the company spokesperson said. “We apologize for the inconvenience.”

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
That's a few weeks old and nothing has been sorted. The vast majority are fine, so it seems strange a software fix would sort out the freezers.

Take your machine back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.