Airport card installed?

Reaction score
How can I tell if I have an airport card installed? My son and I both have old ibooks. I took his into the shop after it froze, they installed a new operating system, OS X 10.3.5. After we brought it home, it wouldn't connect to our wireless router. I can run my 'puter side by side with his and I've check everything in the internet connect window. The only difference I can see, it that when I click on my internet connect icon, it says, Airport: on; Turn Airport Off; Linksys; Other; create network; open network connect. His says the same thing EXCEPT it doesn't have the linksys (which is our router brand). I don't see how to add Linksys or make his computer recognize it. Any suggestions? I've been trying to correct this for days. I even added a new user to his computer and that didn't work either. BLESS YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
It should have Airport card in it, but to check, just go up to the Apple icon, and select "About this Mac", then select "more info". This should bring up the system profile.

On the left hand side you should see a Hardware list, ranging from USB, SCSI, ATA, and you should also see Airport Card. If you see it, then click on it to make sure everything is ok (it should show Hardware type, and firmware version and so on). If Airport card is not listed, it may need to be reinstalled with its software, or there is no Airport card installed.

Can't guarantee that this will help, but it should get you started in the right direction. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, the airport card is there. Under Airport Card Information it says: Wireless card type: Airport; Wireless Card Locale: USA; and Wireless Card Firmware Version: 9.42. I'm not sure what any of that means, but now that I know there is an Airport Card, how do I get it to link to Linksys? Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
Well, all I can tell you to do about that is to go to your wireless signal icon at the top in the menu bar, and click on it. If linksys isn't showing up, try selection "other", then try typing in your wireless name (ie. linksys) and if you have a WEP or WPA security code, use the drop down box and select the one that your wireless modem uses, and if you don't have a security code then select "none". Type in your security code if you have one and see if that works.

If this doesn't work, then I would go to your nearest Apple Store and ask someone at the Genius Bar, or maybe someone else on this forum can help you better than I can.

Hope it works for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Got a link, now error message

Thanks so much for your help. I don't know what I did or didn't do, but now the wireless signal IS working on the menu bar and it says its linked to Linksys, but when I click on Safari, I get the wheel of death until I get the error message "The application Safari has unexpectedly quit..." Got any suggestions and really I do thank you. You've been the only one in several of the forums here to even attempt helping me and I am so grateful. Eagerly awaiting your reply...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm.... Well, Safari is a great browser, but I use Firefox like a religion. I have had problems with Safari in the past. For the most part it has worked fine, but now and again you get problems like you are experiencing.

If you can, I recommend downloading and using Firefox. If you can hardwire your MacBook to your internet or if you can simply download it from your other MacBook and transfer it to the MacBook having the Safari problem and try using it to get online.

I would try that. If not just to get to the internet without any crashes, then it is a great excuse to start using Firefox.

P.S. If you have already been using Firefox on some other computer than I apologize for the constant Firefox Parading. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.