• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Download iSync 1.5 - Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
P900 and iSync Users

Help is to hand. Here's the solution. As you know, getting iSync 1.4 or 1.5 to see your P900 Smart-Phone after a firmware update is a real pain. Sony Ericsson recently edited it's firmware in such a way that iSync no longer see' or finds the handset when you choose Add Device from the Menu. This hack, forces iSync to see your phone.

This archive is intended for Mac users only!
To open the .sitx archive, you'll need Stuffit Expander

Thread: more info
Download the attachment: HowardForums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram
hype.it said:
P900 and iSync Users

Help is to hand. Here's the solution. As you know, getting iSync 1.4 or 1.5 to see your P900 Smart-Phone after a firmware update is a real pain. Sony Ericsson recently edited it's firmware in such a way that iSync no longer see' or finds the handset when you choose Add Device from the Menu. This hack, forces iSync to see your phone.

Thats great...coz im getting a p900 by next week. I'm currently using a t610. T610 is a great phone too. I'm just concerned aobut the big size of the p900. do you think that poses a problem?

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very compact, when you consider that alternative... erm... what you perfer? Carry a Mobile with hand-free kit to make calls, limit yourself to 500 to 1000 contacts, only keeping a archive of the most recent text messages, about 20-100 with no MP3 ring tones, only cheap 4ss 16 or 24 voices that sound like one of those electronic organs that beep from the seventies. In addition you carry a PDA for all your day notes, extended contacts and daily, weekly and monthly schedules. Then a low end digial camera to capture and playback short clips.

Or a slightly oversized phone that does all that and more! Without the additional pockets to carry them all, lets not forget about the batteries you'll need and the various brick chargers knocking around at home! But then again if your truly invincible, you want need a Smart Phone. :D

BTW, the P910 has just been released....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all those reasons is what is inclining me to buy it. About the p910, its not released yet, its coming soon but who knows how soon? They have been saying the s700i is coming soon since the last 6 months. and besides, its gonn cost a $1000 which I don't have. I'm buying my uncle's p900 of him and giving him only $500 for it. Good deal huh? I was even considering buying the k700i but that phone is just like a better version of t610. only difference between the two is the memory, video capabilities, mp3 audio and the bigger and better resolution screen. What phone do u use?

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use the P900 of course, why you think I know of the various communication problems regarding iSync? 500 bucks is a good deal if your getting a bigger memory card, than the standard one. Max you can install is 128Mb... which is plenty for most phones, i only have 32Mb; still has 12Mb free! I think i paid the equivalent of $500 US when I brought mine back in January. Hey... if he's your uncle... shouldn't he sell it to you cheaper?

P910 models have already arrived in the shops here in Hong Kong, but everyone is still waiting for the phone itself. You can go and view it, but no-one has a live one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Go for the Nokia 7610 instead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hype.it said:
I use the P900 of course, why you think I know of the various communication problems regarding iSync? 500 bucks is a good deal if your getting a bigger memory card, than the standard one. Max you can install is 128Mb... which is plenty for most phones, i only have 32Mb; still has 12Mb free! I think i paid the equivalent of $500 US when I brought mine back in January. Hey... if he's your uncle... shouldn't he sell it to you cheaper?

P910 models have already arrived in the shops here in Hong Kong, but everyone is still waiting for the phone itself. You can go and view it, but no-one has a live one!

How did you manage to get a brand new one for just $500?? It sells here in the U.S. for $750 and in U.K. even more. I think my uncle bought it for like $850 back in January. And as Strider says, check out that nokia 7610 too. I was just looking at it a couple of days back and I was contemplating whether I should get that or the p900. Let me know your opinion too after you have a look at it. I personally like Sony Ericsson though. I think Sony Ericsson vs. Nokia is like Mac vs. PCs :D

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In short, they're are both good. But it depends on what your looking for in a phone. In my opinion I like the Sony better, I like the idea that i can scribble the SMS instead of looking for the keys on the pad; I like the idea how you can send/receive a multi-part message as one message not 100's! (every month i send on average 800-1000 of them, but they are FREE here.) I think the Memory Stick duo is a little limiting, max size that's compatible with the P900 is 128Mb, but one can change it anytime without switching the phone off.

You can install stuff via BlueTooth, just bean the application over. Download local maps for your phone too! It's like having a A-Z street or road map in ya pocket. The only thing the Sony's missing is the possibility of using Global Satellite Positing software... Handy in the car, or when your wondering around in a new city or something. Then there's the flight mode, "Leave the P900 on but turn the phone off!
" and your thinking "Aye???"

End of the day, one really need to go and play with both and see which one's best for you. And just because your in the shop that day, it doesn't mean you have to buy that day! I hate when people do that, later they regret it and rant!!! Just go Play with it, both of them !!. If they are a good reseller, they pop one of their company sim cards in and well... let you call people up and test every feature... once your done. Do the same with the other phone. :D -Great time to make that IDD call to friend that have moved to Australia or New Zealand, just check to see they not gonna bill you for testing, because that's just freaking lame!

I personally like Sony Ericsson though. I think Sony Ericsson vs. Nokia is like Mac vs. PCs

Yeah, but both are on the PC side, from where I'm standing. But I know, P900 works with the Mac, without installing any 3rd party software, you just need the above script. Not sure about the Nokia, pass Nokia have been PC only but that's before BlueTooth came along.

If i was you, i'd wait for the P910, I mean your gonna spend $500 on a phone, may as well make it the awesome P910 with 64Mb internal and the option to expand to 1Gb later! I'm sure you can buy one for cheaper eventually... you just need to search the internet.

With the P910, there are 3 models... America, Europe and Asia, i think. From what i've read, Sony Ericsson what's to try and do what Hollywood did with DVD's. It's gonna fail! It'll either be hacked or SE gonna die on their asses, because business people who fly regularly won't wonna buy two handsets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Nokia has all those features u mentioned hype.it

The only thing lacking is official nokia support (like PC suite for Nokia, we could have a Mac Suite for Nokia)

Anyways, P910 sounds good, I've used P900 b4 and found it to be quite bulky. But I can sacrifise that for the camera quality. my Nokia 6600 has an okay camera, the 7610 camera is pretty good (its 1 megapixel) and when I used it and sent the pic to my PowerBook, the quality seemed pretty good. Just wanna know whether the P910 camera would be at least as good.

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, I never used the P900's built-in camera. Sure it's there, I'm sure it works well too, 640 by 480 though but personally, I never use it. A friend brought me a Sony DSC T1, about a few weeks to a month ago. I can imagine most other people would have opened it and be using it to grab snaps of anything and everything. I haven't used it, it still sitting in the box with the original packaging minus the gift wrap. Sure if you gave me a Nikon D1x SLR with 25-300 mm 2:8 Zoom AF lens, i'll play. As soon as I discover it's a Digital... it'll go back in it's box. It doesn't interest me.

Simply because I'm one of the more traditional folks. I like photographic paper and film based negatives. They will always have more megpaixels than even he most advance digital camera can ever have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course traditional camera's are best. Cheap. Nice. Handy.

The problemo is that I'm a student and do tend to take loadsa pics on nights out, but I can't carry a cam with me. I "have" to carry a phone, so might as well get one which does the job of a camera too.

besides, developing a film roll is expensive in the UK. Heck, anything and everything is expensive in the UK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
developing?? who develops rolls nowadays? Digital cameras buddy, thats what you need to get...save money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got Nokia 7610 for myself now. Nice!!

M

mpm73

I recently bought a Sony Ericsson T637 since it has bluetooth and I heard it worked smoothly with Mac OS X. I'm basically just interested in synchronizing my phone numbers, maybe one day I'll use GPRS but I'm not interested in that right now. I have a 15" 1.5GHz Porewbook running Panther, more precisely 1.3.9.

So here is what I do:

1. I turn on Bluetooth on my T637.
2. On my Mac, I click on "Set up Bluetooth Device".
3. I ask it to search for Mobile Phones.
4. My Mac finds my T637 phone, I select it and then I press "Continue".
5. My Mac connects with my phone, my phone asks me whether I want to add my Mac to "My Devices". I press "Yes" on my phone.
6. Then my phone asks me for the password that appears on my Mac's screen. I type it on my phone and then press "OK" on my phone.
7. At this point my Mac and my phone are actually connected.
8. My Mac asks me a few more questions: e.g. whether I want to use my paired phone with my Address Book, or whether I want to access the internet with my phone's data connection (GPRS).
9. Whatever my answer is, as soon as I press "Continue" on my Mac, the bluetooth connection is lost (even though my Mac congratulates me for having established a connection between my phone and the computer.

Now, if I stop at point 7 above and run iSync, then the address book on my Mac and on my cell phone actually do synchronize. But it's kind of weird, because I have to do that in the middle of the Setup process of a bluetooth device on my Mac. If I try to complete the setup, then the Bluetooth connection is lost. :mad:

Also, every time that I want to synchronize my Mac's Address book with my phone's I have to repeat steps 1 to 7, whereas I was expecting that I should do the setup only once, and that from that time on my Mac and my T637 would recognize each other automatically, without running the Setup utility every time.

Is anyone experiencing this problem with Sony Ericsson bluetooth phones?
is it related to the software in the phone? Any way to solve it? Please let me know.

M

mpm73

I recently bought a Sony Ericsson T637 since it has bluetooth and I heard it worked smoothly with Mac OS X. I'm basically just interested in synchronizing my phone numbers, maybe one day I'll use GPRS but I'm not interested in that right now. I have a 15" 1.5GHz Porewbook running Panther, more precisely 1.3.9.

So here is what I do:

1. I turn on Bluetooth on my T637.
2. On my Mac, I click on "Set up Bluetooth Device".
3. I ask it to search for Mobile Phones.
4. My Mac finds my T637 phone, I select it and then I press "Continue".
5. My Mac connects with my phone, my phone asks me whether I want to add my Mac to "My Devices". I press "Yes" on my phone.
6. Then my phone asks me for the password that appears on my Mac's screen. I type it on my phone and then press "OK" on my phone.
7. At this point my Mac and my phone are actually connected.
8. My Mac asks me a few more questions: e.g. whether I want to use my paired phone with my Address Book, or whether I want to access the internet with my phone's data connection (GPRS).
9. Whatever my answer is, as soon as I press "Continue" on my Mac, the bluetooth connection is lost (even though my Mac congratulates me for having established a connection between my phone and the computer.

Now, if I stop at point 7 above and run iSync, then the address book on my Mac and on my cell phone actually do synchronize. But it's kind of weird, because I have to do that in the middle of the Setup process of a bluetooth device on my Mac. If I try to complete the setup, then the Bluetooth connection is lost. :mad:

Also, every time that I want to synchronize my Mac's Address book with my phone's I have to repeat steps 1 to 7, whereas I was expecting that I should do the setup only once, and that from that time on my Mac and my T637 would recognize each other automatically, without running the Setup utility every time.

Is anyone experiencing this problem with Sony Ericsson bluetooth phones?
is it related to the software in the phone? Any way to solve it? Please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
After the setup utility has run, the 2 are paired - meaning regardless of whether they are currently connected, they'll remember each other in the future.
To sync, just activate bluetooth on both of them and start iSync. It should automatically connect them again and sync everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mpm73,

I actually had a similar problem with my k700i (with update) and Panther, 10.3.9. But once I upgraded to Tiger, it worked fine. The only solution to your problem is to upgrade to Tiger or use a T610. I never had the problem with my T610 phone. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
iaminvincible said:
mpm73,

I actually had a similar problem with my k700i (with update) and Panther, 10.3.9. But once I upgraded to Tiger, it worked fine. The only solution to your problem is to upgrade to Tiger or use a T610. I never had the problem with my T610 phone. Best of luck.

I actually have a k700i too, with the D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth dongle which I upgraded with Apple's Bluetooth firmware updater. It worked fine with 10.3.9 aand still does with Tiger...the issue must be somewhere else...
Do you have internal Bluetooth, or an external USB-Bluetooth-dongle?
If it is an external one, it should be connected directly to your Mac, not over a hub, as that might create some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.