Recording sound (voice) on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been using a macbook pro for a few weeks and am wondering on how I can record voice effectively. I am looking to record some important lectures at uni. can anyone advise me of which software I need(or that is already advisable to do this?
I have garageband 3 but haven't figured out how i can do this with it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
You can use the built in Mic, but you won't like the way it sounds. I recomend using a quality mic for your situation.

Most quality mics output through a three-pronged connector called an XLR(male) output. But that means you'll need an XLR cable to get to your audio interface (input/output device typically connected via USB or Firewire 400). Simply insert the cable's XLR(female) end into the microphone and connect the XLR(male) end to the XLR(female) microphone (mic) input on the audio interface.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but it really isnt. And GarageBand should work fine.

Good luck and I hope I helped a little. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
1/4 works fine too, depending on what you are working with, so dont discourage them. The key is to get something that requires 'phantom power' which powers the microphone signal, giving you 10000000000000000x better quality. I would get a boundary mic, and put it on a table with nothing else on it, or a really good shotgun mic. OR just clip a headset onto the teacher.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks, but i think i'll try the in built mic first to see if it is good enough for what I need. Can anyone give me the instructions on how to do what I want with garageband 3 (or with other, preferably free software), cause I'm struggling to do it at the moment.

thanks

Reaction score
Recording on Macbook

Do a search on Google for "Audacity". It's a nice free audio editor that's good (and simple) for editing single track audio. I have only used it on PC myself, but it should be just as straightforward - select mic for the input and hit record. Good luck!

OP
G
Reaction score
Do a search on Google for "Audacity". It's a nice free audio editor that's good (and simple) for editing single track audio. I have only used it on PC myself, but it should be just as straightforward - select mic for the input and hit record. Good luck!

Thanks, I tried it and it works!

OP
G
Reaction score
You can use the built in Mic, but you won't like the way it sounds. I recomend using a quality mic for your situation.

Most quality mics output through a three-pronged connector called an XLR(male) output. But that means you'll need an XLR cable to get to your audio interface (input/output device typically connected via USB or Firewire 400). Simply insert the cable's XLR(female) end into the microphone and connect the XLR(male) end to the XLR(female) microphone (mic) input on the audio interface.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but it really isnt. And GarageBand should work fine.

Good luck and I hope I helped a little. :)

What exactly would I need if I wanted to do that (which wires, mics etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
Well, the only problem you are looking at is the price. The Audio Interface device, you could go with the "M-Audio Fast Track Pro", and it goes for around $200 at www.m-audio.com

Or you can go with a Samson Q1U Mic from www.samsontech.com, which is only around $60. It comes with a deskstand and it plugs in through USB so you can plug it in and start recording without using a Audio Interface device.

Good Luck.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, the only problem you are looking at is the price. The Audio Interface device, you could go with the "M-Audio Fast Track Pro", and it goes for around $200 at www.m-audio.com

Or you can go with a Samson Q1U Mic from www.samsontech.com, which is only around $60. It comes with a deskstand and it plugs in through USB so you can plug it in and start recording without using a Audio Interface device.

Good Luck.

Thanks

Reaction score
Recording Filming Sound Directly to MacBook

I have a film shoot coming up and we have a boom and mic and were thinking of recording the sound directly to my MacBook during filming. Any ideas, suggestions, advice.

We were going to do this in place of a recorder. Has anyone done this before and is it a good way to record the sound for a film shoot?

Thanks,
Dippen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.