On the verge of taking it back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
As the title says, i am on the verge of taking my MBP back and going back to PC. This is my 2nd MBP that i have had, and it's screwing up again. My first one, after 2 weeks of use, the graphics card messed up, and would only work with an external monitor hooked up. So they replaced that one, giving me this new one. Now i have had this one for 2 months, and i am having OS problems. Apple said first off, that i should Erase and install, and if that doesn't work, then it's the RAM. So i did what they said, and it didn't do a thing, the problem still persists. So i called them back, and they said they wouldn't replace it, and i would have to send it away and i would be without my computer for 2 weeks. I can't afford to do that. I'm going to try to fight them to replace it, or i'm taking it back, it's ridiculous!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
That is one reason I try to always buy from a retail outlet instead of online. But it sounds like you have had some bad luck. I am sure it isnt representative of most Macs and once this laptop is working right I am sure it will continue to do so for years. I have never owned a mac laptop myself. Ones a few Pros and would never buy one due to their heat. But hopefully you get this worked out for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
First off, I am pretty sure the technical phone support people are not trained all that well. (i have a few issues with the phone support) The genius people at the store are EXTREMELY helpful. I would take it there for help and ditch phone support.
Secondly, if this is your first time using OS X, use 10.4. Leopard is still too buggy. Wait till Apple updates to 10.5.1.
Windows Vista had lots of problems when it first came out. Switching to avoid that sort of problem won't really fix anything.
But totally get a new one if you know it is a hardware issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
The techs at the stores are MUCH better than people on the phones.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
For this new issue though, i have no clue i have no clue how i'm going to get the Apple store to give me a new one. For my first issue, i had to fight with them to get one to me, and i still had to wait 3.5 weeks for one to come in. The phone support told me to go to the apple store, but i have a feeling that they put something into my case # which wil tell them not to replace it, which i hope is not the case.

Reaction score
Just remember you're the customer and you have the right to receive goods which perform to the specifications and basically do what they are supposed to.

If this isn't the case, then you have every right to make as much noise as you want. Tell them what you want and keep on at them until a mutual agreement is reached. You just need to understand the "Adversarial" process that exists these days and use it to your benefit instead of getting frustrated too much. I know that's easier to say, but have all your facts before you and try to deal with the process as much by email as over the phone or in person at an Applestore.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're understandably frustrated, but I think you're jumping the gun and not allowing the tech support process to run its course. Take it to an Apple store and let them diagnose the problem and offer a solution. If it's not acceptable, remain calm, and explain to them that you've had a disappointing experience thus far and need the machine to work now. I can't imagine they'd force you to send it into a depot for what sounds to me like a quick fix.

I guarantee you that you won't see better customer service from any of the major PC manufacturers.

And yes, Leopard is still very new. It is unrealistic to expect a flawless first release of any OS. If stability is of utmost importance, stick with Tiger for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As the title says, i am on the verge of taking my MBP back and going back to PC. This is my 2nd MBP that i have had, and it's screwing up again. My first one, after 2 weeks of use, the graphics card messed up, and would only work with an external monitor hooked up. So they replaced that one, giving me this new one. Now i have had this one for 2 months, and i am having OS problems. Apple said first off, that i should Erase and install, and if that doesn't work, then it's the RAM. So i did what they said, and it didn't do a thing, the problem still persists. So i called them back, and they said they wouldn't replace it, and i would have to send it away and i would be without my computer for 2 weeks. I can't afford to do that. I'm going to try to fight them to replace it, or i'm taking it back, it's ridiculous!
What's the OS issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
i am having OS problems.

Yes, is this a request for help or just a rant????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.