Networking External Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz
I replaced my Desktop PC running Windows XP with a new iMac running Leopard and have my Linksys 2.4G wireless router connected directly to iMac.
I finally got my external hard drive (local Disk) to show up on my Laptop PC although it's quite slow (any suggestions to improve speed) but was wondering if there is anyway to network my external DVD Burner also.
Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I don't think networking a burning drive is such a good idea (or even possible). When you access a HDD over LAN, you have some buffer to work with for network lag, as the HDD has a buffer built in to store data while it's being sent data.

When you start thinking about networking a DVD burner, you run into buffer problems, as your LAN traffic might overflow how fast the DVD drive needs its data to correctly write to the disk. I hope I am making sense.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz
I don't think networking a burning drive is such a good idea (or even possible). When you access a HDD over LAN, you have some buffer to work with for network lag, as the HDD has a buffer built in to store data while it's being sent data.

When you start thinking about networking a DVD burner, you run into buffer problems, as your LAN traffic might overflow how fast the DVD drive needs its data to correctly write to the disk. I hope I am making sense.

Thanks for the response

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.