AOL Plug Ins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz
Just got our first Mac, my wife uses AOL and we have the software up and running but everytime she wants to open a link to a media file like youtube we get an error message about needing a plug in yet when we go to download it says it's not available with our system. We are running leopard on a 2.0 iMac. Anyone know the problem or is AOL for Mac not a finished product?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
AOL for Mac was abandoned many years ago, although it was a finished product then, and you can still download it, AOL dropped support for mac many years ago. However, I think there is a BETA Version of AOL that people can download now.

My question is why not just use safari instead of the aol browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
AOL still exists?

Sorry... have you tried just using Safari after connecting to AOL to watch youtube vids? Shouldn't have to go through AOL's browser at all... just connect to AOL and then launch Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AOL still exists?

Sorry... have you tried just using Safari after connecting to AOL to watch youtube vids? Shouldn't have to go through AOL's browser at all... just connect to AOL and then launch Safari

that is if you are still using dial-up, if you are not i'd just skip aol all together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^that's what I meant^ *blush*

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz
AOL for Mac was abandoned many years ago, although it was a finished product then, and you can still download it, AOL dropped support for mac many years ago. However, I think there is a BETA Version of AOL that people can download now.

My question is why not just use safari instead of the aol browser?

Thanks for the reply, my wife refuses to leave the friendly confines of AOL because of her buddies. She's used to receiving an AOL mail message and simply clicking it open. I already told her to forward the AOL message to her regular e-mail address and then open it within Safari. We just downloaded the AOL software from their site is there a newer version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She can also download AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) to keep in contact with her AOL buddies as well....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also you can set up mail to give her the same mail as if it was aol. You can tell her to pretend its AOL mac edition and she'll never go back...

yes there is a newer version, its in beta form, and its on the main download page at apple.com

Edit: Here is a direct link: Linky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.