Mac Pro for Protools?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm putting together a DAW and have decided to go for the mac rather than a pc.
Does anyone have a suggestion how to configure it. It will be for the ptle 7.3 .
2.66 gzh? 3ghz? ram? storage? windows or vista?

Are they quiet , can you record with live mics and not pic up the noise from the computer? Are they quiet so it doesn't drive you crazy while mixing?

Going for a Apogee rosetta 800, should I get the symphony PCIe card for the mac or plug it into the mac as it comes?

I would also like this machine to have capabilities to expand to do graphics work.

All comments and advice welcome. Thank you.
Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
No.. Mac pros are the worst possible thing you could purchase to do recording...

(Psst... heres a clue for you... Logic is a PRO suite... Mac Pros have the word PRO in them... Using my very basic skills of deduction... mac pros play nicely with pro software ;) )

To be honest with you processor speed isnt very vital in a recording situation. 2.66Ghz will be PLENTY unless you are working up with huge numbers of tracks. Ram, as much as possible since Ram can really help with plugins. Same with storage, get as much as possible since pro tools can really eat up storage.

To be honest, if you are spending the money on a mac pro, you should also really spend some money on some proper acoustic treatement. Yes the Mac pros are VERY quiet but with decent mics, it will still be audiable unless you do something with acoustics.

With the Apogee interface, ive heard mixed reviews, I recommend looking around before setting your mind.

Hope this has helped,

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi all,

I'm putting together a DAW and have decided to go for the mac rather than a pc.
Does anyone have a suggestion how to configure it. It will be for the ptle 7.3 .
2.66 gzh? 3ghz? ram? storage? windows or vista?

Are they quiet , can you record with live mics and not pic up the noise from the computer? Are they quiet so it doesn't drive you crazy while mixing?

Going for a Apogee rosetta 800, should I get the symphony PCIe card for the mac or plug it into the mac as it comes?

I would also like this machine to have capabilities to expand to do graphics work.

All comments and advice welcome. Thank you.
Rich

What are you recording and what's your goal? If you want to start a studio and do professional recordings, you need to do more than buy a DAW. You should look into acoustics as mentioned above, as well as maybe an isolation booth.

You'll need:
the computer (I use a 15" MBP)
Interface (MOTU 828 MKII with 10 inputs, 2 being preamps)
Preamps (2 on the MOTU and 6 on my 14 channel Mackie board)
Mixer (I use the mackie to adjust the gain of the pre-amps and Logic for post recorded mix down)
Mics (Don't go cheap here. I use two pretty good Audio Technica Condensors and several others)

That's the least of your worries. If you decide you're doing Hip Hop, you'll not need as much in the way of preamps or mics. If you're doing rock bands, you'll need to accomodate their style. Enough preamps and space for live recordings? Enough drum mics for those who use seven piece kits? Good enough acoustics for recording? If you're recording an orchestra you'll need a ton of gear and the right inputs so you can connect all those mics to the machine.

Have you recorded before as well? If not, you should do a lot of practice if you ever plan on making high quality recordings for others.

And graphics work is simple. Unless you're going to be doing CAD work or other 3D design, pretty much any mac will run the good old industry standard, Photoshop.

Edit: http://www.recording.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VI has brought up some good points...

You really need to figure out your goals before laying out a plan to achieve them. Work out what you will most likely record. Then configure to suit. Dont get me wrong, you can record almost anything with a basic rig, but if you want the BEST sound, you need to use the best suited equip.

All this in mind, great equipment doesnt make a great producer, so if this is your first time venturing out into pro recording, take your time and be prepared to learn :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
R
Reaction score
The room 20x20 is all rug with high ceiling. Been playing live in room for give or take 17 years. 20 yrs ago I dabbled with recording on a tascam 388 (1/4 " tape). Would like to get those songs on the computer and start writing again. list at this point:

digidesign 003
digidesign command 8
apogee rosetta 8
focusrite isa 828
rodes k2
ua la 610
furman It 20 II
Jbl lsr4328 pak
Digidesign velvet
digidesign strike
digidesign production toolkit
digidesign factory pro bundle
veina special addition
waves gold

They operated on my left rotator cuff last month and are going to do my right one next month (shot for 6 months to a yr)_so I figured it be a good time for that learning curve.

doing one armed sheetrock getting things together for the equipment. It don't come easy(ringo).

are you saying get the mac and loose protools or keep the protools and get a pc.?

The music will be more in the rock ,pop vein.
I would also like the possibility to do graphics if things are working out well and decide to do some type of video, also my oldest boy is considering going to school for graphic arts.

confused as usual here. isn't the word pro in protools. or is that only if its hd?

believe me I was toying with that for some time but in my present situation that +-10 k has to go other places. As it is now I'm about 17-18k and still have some insidentals to get.

and the 003 and som digi plugins are on the way. The rest will be ordered right before they take out my right arm.

makeing lemonade out of lemmons.

your saying the mac isn't going to work for me?

more advise please,
much appreciated.
rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, my post was probably a little confusing, i was feeling a little sarcastic (had a long lecture previous to my post :p)

Mac pros are fine for Pro tools, it will run it absoloutly fine :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
I've got a digi002. I would probably make you poo your pants if I told you how many celebrities that have been recorded using it.. Anyway, sounds fine. I would highly suggest talking to a real sound man about microphones. As far as premamps go, since this is still amateur recording, the digi003 is fine, but the MOTU is WAY better.
Make sure everything that you are using for that recording booth is flame proof, you don't want another great white..
Why do you need the command 8 if you are getting the Digi003? if you are getting the rack mount, why not get the surface, that's what I have. If you go with the MOTU, then thats a different Story.
If you are looking into studio monitors, I just got a pair of those jbls worth about a grand, luckily only paid 700 for them(lots of markup)
BTW props for tender surrender's great advice. I've seen alot of crap floating around about personal audio, since it is so easily obtainable now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
But my Mackie is even better :)

I paid $300 for the 1402 and it has some great preamps for just being a sound board.

OP
R
Reaction score
yes dave ,
it's the 003 rack. At first I was setting up for the PTHD2accel then it changed to the le, just kept the command8 , less wires on work surface(also maybe go to the hd some day).
found a place that tweaks up le to make it sound hd. Blacklion audio. Pretty impressive what they do.Gonna wait on modifying it though till warranty is over and I also figure out how to use it.
The monitors are jbl lsr4328p pak with room caliberation.

looking at 2- dell or hp 20" wide screens.(are either ok with a mac)
pre amp is the focusrite isa 828 (originally was going to get the octopre)for drums and to get the older tascam into the computer (8 ins) and the la 610 is for the rode k2.

I also have sm 57's and 58's

was also looking into the audio technica 4060 idiot(lol that didn't sound right) village idiot. even the 4033. or the tlm 49,or103. Akg 3000. decided on the rode k2.(but my mind may change)

wow... lots to this stuff and I haven't even started yet.

the oo3 has a clock and interface in it but from what I understand the rosetta will make it sound great and from what I was told would also improve the motu.

How do you like the lsr's. and yes , the mark up on this stuff is nuts.

What do you use for a computer?

And yes. the rug. It's all inside out and painted and saftey first. I'm an electrician and a bit anal about the saftey factor. thanks for the heads up.

I also have to get the chords together. In the chain of events what goes where. interface,pres,comp,rack,mon.

I'm on a mission.
thanks and keep it coming
Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
i have 3 akg 3000's. hot mic's. i use a macbook with 2 g ram. the lsr's havent really been pushed hard, we bought them spur of the moment. but the little time i have used them they are great. we went to guitar center and did a side by side comparison with every studio monitor they sold. they set up 10 pairs of speakers, and played the remastered beatles tracks for us. not a great comparison, but it got the point across. It is nice having a GC Pro account. The senheiser quivilant of the sm58(i forget the model, but they are 3 for 100) are great mic's too. but any of the akg condensers are great for vocals, when u are using them properly. I dont think they have any flawed products that I can recall.

Don't use the room calibration on the lsr's, its useless. Tune them yourself, use a copy of SMAART. There is a demo.
check out akg c1000's too, great all around mic's. I use them for vocal groups when I do live stuff.
Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.