Ordered a Macbook just now .... What else to do?

Reaction score
Hi, Just ordered Mabook 13" White 1gb ram Core2duo

Taken APP with it ........

So, whats next.... I have a few questions ...... Plz answer ..... (though i searched ans for my question i didnt find the correct answers.........

1 )- I want to buy 2gb ram .... (so many threads to to suggest where to buy ) but what will i do with the left over 1gb ram ( two 512mb ) that i get ...... can i sell them anywhere ? Plz suggest

2 ) I will install win xp with bootcamp .... i there any option to allot certain RAM to winxp ...... i mean will i have to sacrifice some ram for xp ..... If so how much Ram should i allocate to Winxp so that i can play every game that can be played on a Macbook.

3 ) I want a bluetooth mouse (not for gaming) .... i want it in white color (but not the mighty mouse ) i want a reliable one under 50$

4 ) Do i really need to buy and cover Macbook with Invisible shield so that it doesnt get scratches ? or just taking good care is sufficient? is the white one really scratch prone ?

5 ) The best & smallest carry bag for Macbook with decent pricing.......

6 ) where is the best place (commonly accessible place like ??Walmart???)to engrave a Macbook ... Does engraving voids warranty ?

Plz dont mind asking these things ... I have never used a Mac .......
Any help is really appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
First off, welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your first Mac! a

1. You could try to sell it on eBay or similar.

2. The RAM situation will take care of itself. Since it is booting at separate times, each will make full use of your RAM.

3. Not sure

4. If you're really anal about scratches, you should probably buy a cover. Life happens....

As for the last two, I'm not sure, but I'd bet the engraving would void the warranty.

~Damien

Reaction score
1 )- I want to buy 2gb ram .... (so many threads to to suggest where to buy ) but what will i do with the left over 1gb ram ( two 512mb ) that i get ...... can i sell them anywhere ? Plz suggest

You can just sell it on Ebay as the above post suggested, otherwise you can check out Mac forums that have advertisements/swap/selling threads availabe and you can post it up there, but make sure that they allow for this, thus the reason why I stated if they have such threads as some forums do. However, I'd say that 1gb is good enough really for most use. Maybe just try it out and see if your happy with it, if your not then you can upgrade then. I purchased 2 x 1gb and severely regret it, wish I had just gone for 1gb in total.

) I will install win xp with bootcamp .... i there any option to allot certain RAM to winxp ...... i mean will i have to sacrifice some ram for xp ..... If so how much Ram should i allocate to Winxp so that i can play every game that can be played on a Macbook.
No you don't. Apart from HDD allotment, the computer takes care of the RAM side of things ;)

) I want a bluetooth mouse (not for gaming) .... i want it in white color (but not the mighty mouse ) i want a reliable one under 50$
Don't know about Bluetooth mouses but I've got a wireless one but its a usb mouse, but I'd suggest checking brands like Microsoft and Logitech as they make a fair few variations of laptop mouses.

) Do i really need to buy and cover Macbook with Invisible shield so that it doesnt get scratches ? or just taking good care is sufficient? is the white one really scratch prone ?
Whilst the scratches aren't really visible the Macbook does get tiny little hair-line type of scratches, this is inevitable, I basically got these scratches even just using it on a soft pillow. You can see these scratches when you look closely and view in an angle against the light/sun so I'd definitely suggest a shieldzone or a crystal casing. I'd also suggest the silicone keypad cover due to the discolouration problems.

) The best & smallest carry bag for Macbook with decent pricing.......
Check Ebay because bag companies such as STI and other laptop bag companies are quite expensive so maybe just going for a no brand on Ebay for a 13.3" widescreen maybe good enough.

) where is the best place (commonly accessible place like ??Walmart???)to engrave a Macbook ... Does engraving voids warranty ?
I'm in Australia so I don't know where you can get the MB engraved but prior to getting it engraved I'd ask Apple first if this would in fact void your warranty. With iPod's they do a laser engraving so I don't know how different that is from "normal" engraving, but I'd definitely check because unlike RAM or HDD you can't just take it off prior to giving to Apple for service, your stuck with it. Also when you contact Apple, if they say yes your able to without voiding the warranty write down who you are talking to, date, time etc in case they end up saying in the future that it does in fact void your warranty, you've got proof ;)

All the best with your new Macbook and enjoy, I love mine and I've had mine for a year already :D

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank u guys ......... thanx for the prompt reply ...... u guys r really helpful......
I will let u know when i get my macbook delivered to me

OP
D
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your first Mac! a

1. You could try to sell it on eBay or similar.

2. The RAM situation will take care of itself. Since it is booting at separate times, each will make full use of your RAM.

3. Not sure

4. If you're really anal about scratches, you should probably buy a cover. Life happens....

As for the last two, I'm not sure, but I'd bet the engraving would void the warranty.

~Damien

You can just sell it on Ebay as the above post suggested, otherwise you can check out Mac forums that have advertisements/swap/selling threads availabe and you can post it up there, but make sure that they allow for this, thus the reason why I stated if they have such threads as some forums do. However, I'd say that 1gb is good enough really for most use. Maybe just try it out and see if your happy with it, if your not then you can upgrade then. I purchased 2 x 1gb and severely regret it, wish I had just gone for 1gb in total.

No you don't. Apart from HDD allotment, the computer takes care of the RAM side of things ;)

Don't know about Bluetooth mouses but I've got a wireless one but its a usb mouse, but I'd suggest checking brands like Microsoft and Logitech as they make a fair few variations of laptop mouses.

Whilst the scratches aren't really visible the Macbook does get tiny little hair-line type of scratches, this is inevitable, I basically got these scratches even just using it on a soft pillow. You can see these scratches when you look closely and view in an angle against the light/sun so I'd definitely suggest a shieldzone or a crystal casing. I'd also suggest the silicone keypad cover due to the discolouration problems.

Check Ebay because bag companies such as STI and other laptop bag companies are quite expensive so maybe just going for a no brand on Ebay for a 13.3" widescreen maybe good enough.

I'm in Australia so I don't know where you can get the MB engraved but prior to getting it engraved I'd ask Apple first if this would in fact void your warranty. With iPod's they do a laser engraving so I don't know how different that is from "normal" engraving, but I'd definitely check because unlike RAM or HDD you can't just take it off prior to giving to Apple for service, your stuck with it. Also when you contact Apple, if they say yes your able to without voiding the warranty write down who you are talking to, date, time etc in case they end up saying in the future that it does in fact void your warranty, you've got proof ;)

All the best with your new Macbook and enjoy, I love mine and I've had mine for a year already :D

Thank u guys ......... thanx for the prompt reply ...... u guys r really helpful......
I will let u know when i get my macbook delivered to me

1 - I ddont have an ebay acount ...... So, can u suggest any site that itself buys the ram ... (Should i sell the Ram or keep it boz if i had to end mu Macbook to apple anywhere in future can i send it with my 2GBram)

3 - Plz someone post about the mouse ...... i narrowed to Microsoft notebook mouse 500 for 49 $ .. any mouse to challenge it for the colour and price

6 - I'm in West virginia ...... Apple executive said u can engrave at a local shop but he didnt speak abt warranty ..... can i carry on engraving

Waiting for the replies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I just have a comment on your mouse situation...

If I were you I would buy a mouse that you like and feel comfortable using. Forget about matching colour. It could be the perfect matched white, but if it's not comfortable to use, you'll hate it anyways.

I for oone am using a Logitech VX Revolution mouse with my mac. Doesn't match colour at all, but it is the best **** mouse I have every bought.

OP
D
Reaction score
I just have a comment on your mouse situation...

If I were you I would buy a mouse that you like and feel comfortable using. Forget about matching colour. It could be the perfect matched white, but if it's not comfortable to use, you'll hate it anyways.

I for oone am using a Logitech VX Revolution mouse with my mac. Doesn't match colour at all, but it is the best **** mouse I have every bought.

ITS NOT A BLUETOOTH MOUSE

BUT thanx for the replyyyy.
just googled it......... deisgn is gr8 .... what about the charge?????
i found a link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2418823

can i go ahead with it......... i think i will get it for 49$ ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
as far as selling the RAM you could always try selling it here in the buy sell trade area

OP
D
Reaction score
thank you for the reply ........
Polycarbonate materials look good........
tempted to take one ......
will decide after thinking it over

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core2Duo 2.2Ghz 250GB HDD 1.0GB [ON ORDER] ; iPhone 8GB
Did you order the 2.0 Ghz or the 2.2Ghz Macbook ? Beacuse if you ordered the 2.2Ghz one, you can actually get 4GB of RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
best case BY FAR for the macbook is the incase sleeve.

wonderful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Did you order the 2.0 Ghz or the 2.2Ghz Macbook ? Beacuse if you ordered the 2.2Ghz one, you can actually get 4GB of RAM

are you saying the 2ghz machine cant do 4gb? that was a little confusing.

Reaction score
If you're anywhere near Philadelphia, there's a new place that does laser etching. It's in the King of Prussia mall. It's just down from the apple store. I think it's called Tech-Tattoo.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.