2.2 Vs 2.4 GHz

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro and the difference between 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz is a good 500 bucks. I'm planning a taking a 200GB hard drive.

I'm looking at instlaling Windows Vista along with VMWare Fusion. (Also, I intend to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB after a few months)

Should I be buying a 2.2 or 2.4 ? how much difference does it make with respect to film-editing and running vmware/windows ?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks!
CS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Shouldn't make much of a difference in VMWare, but could take a few seconds off of rendering video. So it really boils down to whether saving a few seconds is worth the $500 premium.

You should know that the 2.4GHz model also comes with an extra 128MB of video memory, though that won't really affect video editing. Might help with games however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Firstly, the 2.4 model is obviously better, since it has better video memory, more cpu and a bigger hard drive (although it doesn't really matter since ur upgrading to 200GB) It seems like it's a lot better, but really it's not that big of a difference.

I personally don't think that this difference is worth 500 buckaroos. As Kash has mentioned it's only a few seconds, and even if you play games, it will only be a minor difference of a few frames per second.

So I think you should get the 2.2ghz model unless you REALLY. I mean REALLY, think about it.. do u need it? or do u want it? I know it took me a while to realise I wanted it more than I needed it.

For the needs that you have mentioned, i think the 2.2 model will be FINE, however if you have some extra cash you don't mind spending, by all means buy the 2.4ghz or even the 2.6ghz model. They are all fine machines :)

P.S. I forgot to even mention the 17" model. It has a big screen and a HD resolution. However it is not very good for portability and it does not use LED backlight for the screen (YET) making it not as bright as the 15" models and not as battery conservative. I don't recommend this to you but if you really need a bigger screen you.

P.P.S Welcome to the Forums!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I use a 2.2 for final cut pro and high end after effects work. It runs real good. Personally, I use an external HD and didn't find the extra £500 worth it for that little more processor speed.

Only thing I would suggest, get some more ram (dont buy it from apple - get it from crucial.com, fit it yourself - it is easy to do and save your self HUNDREDS of $/£)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.