Dont take this the wrong way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
Why Apple is more popular, yet less successful than Microsoft…

Lets face it; Bill Gates just can’t stand Steve Jobs. And Steve Jobs despises Bill Gates. And Steve Ballmer Just hates everyone (Apple, Linux, Open Source developers, Puppies and everyone in your family and mine).

This long-standing feud between Apple and Microsoft has done nothing but…. Well…. Benefit us, the consumer.

1 “COOLNESS” – Is this cliché? Come on, Apple wins hands down. Trying to compare an Apple Computer to something like a Dell or HP is like pitting the drummer from Def Leppard in a one on one basketball match with Lebron James. Lets be fair though, it is not Microsoft’s fault that most of the hardware that supports it looks like it was built by some color blind man with two left hands. Something everyone fails to realize is that Microsoft is not in the hardware business. When I hear the argument that Apple runs better, has fewer crashes and runs faster, I cant help but point out the fact that OS X was built to run on their hardware, so I would hope it runs extremely well. Perhaps if Microsoft built its own computers, Windows would work a little better. So if Apple looks so much cooler, than why does Microsoft outsell them Simple…price. Microeconomics is a funny thing. We see this clearly with Apple and Microsoft. As Apple Prices go up, their demand also rises, but sales fall, while regular PC prices go down, their demand goes down but sales go up. It is also seen as a substitute affect. For most non-tech home users, they could care less if they have Windows or OS X, just as long as it works and gets them on the Internet. We see this with Pepsi and Coke. For most people, you probably have a preference, but if one is on sale, you will probably buy the one on sale, even if it is Coke, and you normally drink Pepsi.

2 “EVIL EMPIRE VS. THINK DIFFERENT” – Marketing is so important to people nowadays. Is Microsoft really being used by stuck up businessmen who listen to Seals and Croft in their Towne Cars? Are Apple users really tree hugging hippies who carry their laptops around in hemp bags while sporting a button from seven years ago that says “Vote Nader”? Yes on both accounts. I get this information from Apple and Microsoft commercials… and of course Starbucks.

3 “PRODUCTIVITY VS. FUN” – I love the commercials where they talk about the hours of fun you can have with a Mac. Let me explain something to you, you are only allotted one hour of fun a day with iLife, I think it is in the iLife Help topic guide. Any time you spend on it exceeding an hour is pure boredom… is anyone in the mood for Halo 3? Lets not forget about the all-boring Microsoft, with its countless games and such. Don’t get me wrong, Mac has some great games too, good luck finding them though.

4 “SOFTWARE” – Try this little test sometime, go to a Wal-Mart, Staples or Office Depot and ask a cashier or store walker to point out the Mac section. Once they get passed the confusing question you just asked, you may be presented with these options… 1) “Sorry, we don’t really carry any Mac products.” Or 2) you will be taken to the section where Adobe cross-platform products are sold. Take your pick, Photoshop or Illustrator. Mac’s have a ton of great software, but you might as well plan a trip to an Apple Store, or just buying them online.

5 “HARDWARE AND UPGRADING” – I don’t know how many time I have heard the statement “I wish I could build my own Mac.” People have this strange misconception that if Apple would allow users the ability to build their own systems, then they would make more money. Apple would lose a ton of money by doing this. If all of a sudden Apple were dependent on making their money solely on just their software, they would fold within a year. And lets face it Apple designs beautiful computers. They know how nice they are and how popular they are. Think about how the new iMac’s look. Would you rather be using OS X on that, or would you rather use it on some beige 15” monitor with a black keyboard and a wireless mouse hooked up to your old Gateway box? OS X would lose some of its luster then. People tend to forget that you can upgrade certain things on Macs. You can upgrade processors and hard drives and memory, just look into it, it’s not that hard.

6 “ACCESSORIES” – Come on, iPod Vs. Zune? Are you serious? Now give credit to Microsoft for coming out with a portable media player to try and compete with Apple… but then take that credit right back by making it only compatible with XP. While not everyone has moved to Vista yet, a lot of people don’t have a choice, especially when buying a new computer. So instead of releasing a patch or compatibility updates, when you use the Zune with Vista, the computer must be restarted so that it can boot into an XP like clone of Vista in order to run it. Now bear in mind it has been a while since they released the Zune, so they may have fixed this issue, and knowing Microsoft, it was quick and prompt…

7 “BUSINESS USE” – Who out there has ever taken a Microsoft Server or Active Directory class, or who out there is a System Administrator? Lets go through an average day for you. Set up new users… set up new groups… change network policies… take break… come back and modify DNS server settings… change account permissions… ready to shoot yourself in the head? Of course you are. Now lets go through a day of someone running a OS X server… well, I cant really ad to that, I don’t know anyone using it! Unless you are a high school, college or run a head shop, you probably don’t use OS X server. Does OS X server even have active directory? I couldn’t imagine all of that junk on a Mac.

8 “SECURITY” – Macs don’t get viruses. Now don’t get me wrong, I didn’t say they CANT get viruses, they just usually don’t. The same principle applies to Linux. Lets look at it like this, if security on operating systems looked like sporting goods, than Microsoft’s would look like a tennis racquet. Why is it that Microsoft claims to not be worried about Apple or Linux, but every OS replacement claims to be even more secure than the last, just as secure and reliable as Linux and just as fun as Apple? Here is an idea; I would be willing to give up my Tiger/Leopard look alike in Vista for some security that didn’t need 100 critical updates every month.

9 “FORCED DEPENDABILITY” – This is by far my favorite discussion. Running Windows 2000? Well, if you want to keep up to date and want support for your $200 OS, you have to buy XP for $300. (Jump forward to 2007) so, how is XP treating you? That’s good, oh by the way, Vista comes out soon and… what’s that? You are happy with XP. That’s great, but you do know our policy on dependency right? There are some nasty viruses coming out, and after a year or so after Vista is released we are no longer going to help you with XP. We understand that all of your computers are running on XP, but that’s not our problem, that’s yours. Thank you for purchasing your 500 copies of our various versions of Vista, oh and by the way, none of your printers are compatible with Vista, have a good day. Isn’t it amazing that even though we are dependent on Microsoft in some way shape or form? Businesses don’t use Mac’s only because they are not familiar with them. And it would cost a lot of money to switch every computer in a business to OS X and then train every single person on how to use them.

I am going to be the first to admit that this simple thread I made was supposed to be about why Apple is great but it wont gain Microsoft status, but it somehow turned into a Microsoft bashing rant fueled by a lack of sleep, and it’s not like Microsoft is watching our every move… wait… new updates on the old Vista machine next to me… what the heck is WGA? J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Seriously. If you want people to read this, at least format it better. I didn't even bother reading past the Steve Ballmer hates all comment when I saw what was beneath it.

OP
powerbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 - 768 SDRAM - 667 MHz - 15" - Keeping it REAL..... real old that is...
Sorry

Yeah, I apologize. It is a lot to read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
i read it, i liked it

OP
powerbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I am sorry that it was such a long thread, it never crossed my mind how it would appear, and I realize a lot of people will probably not read it because of how long it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm not complaining about its length, I've read plenty of long posts before. I'm just saying to change its formatting so that it's easier to read. I'm talking about space between paragraphs (speaking of paragraphs, those might help too)

M

MacHeadCase

Don't worry, powerbook! I loved your post! And welcome to Mac-Forums! Looking forward to your contributions! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Powerbook, excellent post. I really enjoyed it! +rep to you!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have read the whole thing, but will make a general comment due to time.

The whole problem here is each company is in a different business. Apple make hardware or a complete system. As in the computer and some of its software. Where as MicroSoft is a software company which make game consolw and mp3 player. Apple is not trying to compete qith MicroSoft when it comes to operating sytems. Where as MicroSoft is trying to compete with Apple when it comes to mp3 players.

If you really look at what is going on Apple is trying to do its on time, where as MicroSoft is trying to rule the world in everytime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree to a certain extent rman. Microsoft is primarily in the "business business". Apple is primarily in the "consumer business". So, they excel in different aspects of the computer market. Subtly (and humorously) pointing this out is the hidden genius of those "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads. Then, to one of your points, MS is selling just an OS. Apple is selling the whole computing experience, plus an ecosystem of excellent and well integrated peripherals, such as iPods, iPhones, etc.

Looking to the future, Microsoft's core business (the "business business") is under heavy attack from all comers: Linux, Google, Sun, even Apple to a limited extent (iWork is getter better and better. In another release or two, it could be a serious contender). Apple's business (the "consumer business") is NOT under any significant attack from anywhere. No one comes close. Microsoft's feeble attempts to try (Zune anyone? No, I didn't think so) are unqualified flops.

Looking forward, I believe that Apple's star will continue to rise. Microsoft's star will continue to fall, at least in the personal computing business. Their forays into business communication will likely be far more successful (after all, they KNOW the "business business") and substitute for their faltering fortunes in the personal computing space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I hate Coke....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple not successful?

Ok - in market share you've got them - but they do have 14% of laptop sales in the consumer area (US) and 85% of music player sales - that's not bad

And their recent quarter earning were $6.2 billion - if they keep that up they could rake in 24 billion a year in sales.

Microsoft have a cool 13 billion in sales (1st quarter) and a projected 55-59 billion a year

So apple are bringing in less than half of Microsoft's money with a market share of 5-7% of the share of the computer industry - that's not that bad.

OP
powerbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that Apple isn't successful. I simply mean that No matter how cool and innovative Apple is, it won't be as successful as Microsoft has been. And until Microsoft finally collapses in from the weight of its own ego, they will continue to have a better selling track record.

Apple is starting to catch up in numerous areas (Audio/Video Players they already own), but like a previous post in here said, Microsoft is in the "Business Business" while Apple is in the "Consumer Business". Unfortunately, Business makes up a majority of Computer and Software sales.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I know where you are coming from Powerbook - Microsoft is huge, but Halo aside (well - that was Bungie anyway), not very cool - as you say.

But while Apple may seem like small fry if you take market share, it is actually a very big global player and a source for many of Microsoft's ideas. There is even a joke that Apple is not in fact a separate company - it's Microsoft's R&D department.

But with Apple on the rise, and Linux starting to make in-roads into business and governments - perhaps it will shake MS out of its huge complacency - due in most part to its dominance. And let's hope Apple's success doesn't cause it to drop the ball.

A good post by the way - gets everybody thinking.

Reaction score
Great post. I agree with a lot of what you said. Although I would never drink Pepsi over Coke, I'd drink water first.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
good read. :)

.. but office depot and staples both have mac software sections. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I like that read.

I laughed quite hard at the Steve Ballmer joke..

OP
powerbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow... you must be one of the lucky ones. Every Staples and Office Depot around where I live (Cincinnati), is empty when it comes to Mac Software. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.