Macbook not accepting some dvds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.
I've got a Macbook and every once in a while it won't take certain dvds. Some dvds will go in no problem but every once in a while it just won't grab it and take it in. The dvds that won't go in don't look any different than the ones that do. Is it just the individual dvd that's the problem?

Does anyone else have this problem? I was just curious. Thanks.

OP
ChodeMasterJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump. in hopes that someone can give me some info. I searched and couldn't find anything. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are they commercial DVDs or home burned discs?

Any DVD player can sometimes decide not to get on with a certain brand of DVD or CD unfortunately, although it doesn't happen often.

OP
ChodeMasterJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they were commercial dvds. i haven't had any problems with the few burned ones that I've put in. i'm guessing it's just the particular dvd not wanting to go in but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with the drive. that's the only problem that I've had so far with the laptop and I've had it for 3 months.

thanks for the help. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Do they have any copy protection on them? That can sometimes scupper things.

OP
ChodeMasterJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm honestly not sure. it's just one dvd every so often that it doesn't want to grab and pull in the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Install VNC and in the "CDs & DVDs" preferences set the option "When you insert a video DVD" to VNC. That recently solved the issue for a disc I had. Previously I had set that option to another application for a different DVD.

DVD Player is known to have the occasional hicup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.