Booting of off external HD...

Reaction score
I used a Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my HD onto my Firewire HD. I'm updating to Leopard and didn't want to lose anything...
But if I wanted to boot from my HD, how exactly would I do that?! =/

I Googled and it said to hold the Option key on start-up... is that correct?
Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Not working holding the option key... my Firewire HD doesn't show up as an option =/
Help?

Reaction score
Hold option key while booting (before and during the gray screen), and as I recall the hard drive must be formatted for Mac, not FAT32.

Reaction score
Not working holding the option key... my Firewire HD doesn't show up as an option =/
Help?

If you have an Intel Mac the Ext HD needs to be formatted as GUID Partition Table and for PPC, choose Apple Partition Map. Did you partition as a whole or did you split up the drive?

I think it's fairly impo that the ext drive mirrors the internal ....

OP
P
Reaction score
I haven't partitioned the drive, but how do I know how it is formatted, etc.? And how to change that, also in case it's not right.

I remember I had to reformat the first time I plugged it in so I could do video editting straight through the external HD... but I don't remember what I did.

What program would you suggest to set it up to boot from the HD, too?

Lol sorry for all the questions, I'm clueless on this one =/ Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes.

Open disk utility and look at the partition map to find out how it is currently set up. If it's not HFS+ and GUID, select 'partition' and repartition it with those settings. Then re-run CCC and test your backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.