Does anyone know how to....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Hi peeps,

This is something I am finding with my mac, and it seems to be the way things are on a mac in general.

On a PC, if I open photoshop, I am in photoshop, it has its borders, and the background is grey. While in photoshop, everything on my screen is in photoshop.

Wheras on a mac, if open photoshop, it doesnt seem to have any borders at all! I can see my web browser window, and whatever else behind my photoshop canvas, and this really sucks!

Does anyone know of any keystrokes or anything that could solve this problem? To keep a softwares windows within that software, and not amalgimated with every other window that you have open in one big mess!

Any input would be great thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
You can open PS up on it's own space.. (If you're using Leopard.) If not, just hide the other apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
You don't get a gray screen, but you get the menu bar that displays "Photoshop", and your pallets show up, waiting for you to open or create a new document

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, you can make Photoshop on a Mac kind of look like it does on a Windows PC by changing the screen mode. On CS3 there's a button at the bottom of the tools pallette that will change screen mode to one of three different screens: the one you see by default, a fullscreen-ish mode where it's all photoshop, and another where it's all the image you're working on. The keystroke to toggle the modes is F.

I just got used to doing photoshop 'the Mac way' and after awhile it grows on you. You can change the mode to more your liking, but I recommend that you try it the Mac way, because a lot of other Mac applications look like that, and for a pretty good reason. I forget what that reason is, but it seems natural after awhile. If you get the hang of Exposé, your work flow will improve if you work on a lot of images at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If you MUST have the screen full... just drag the canvas to fill the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You can download and try this app. It basically lets you run any app "full-screen."

I've never used it, but it looks promising for what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Wheras on a mac, if open photoshop, it doesnt seem to have any borders at all! I can see my web browser window, and whatever else behind my photoshop canvas, and this really sucks!

It's not a problem, it's a feature!

If you're working in a professional design environment you need to skip back and forth between different applications and it's useful to see what's behind and where everything is. OS X is designed to work that way, whereas Windows is more rigid and less flexible.

You'll get used to it!

To keep a softwares windows within that software, and not amalgimated with every other window that you have open in one big mess!
You'll get used to the 'mess' too. Become experienced in using Expose (where all the Windows are laid out) and skipping between programs and you'll become really fast and look impressive!

Think of OS X like a big light box with everything laid out in front of you. You pull what you want at the time towards you, but can still see all your other projects around you.

Windows is more like a flip chart. You can have no more than one window open in front of you at any one time.

Reaction score
Think of OS X like a big light box with everything laid out in front of you. You pull what you want at the time towards you, but can still see all your other projects around you.

Windows is more like a flip chart. You can have no more than one window open in front of you at any one time.

GREAT Analogy.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Thanks for everyones input, especially D3v1L80Y, walkerj and Alexis. The next thing now for me will be mastering the dock, and where windows disappear to at times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.