Over excited about MBP... few questions

Reaction score
Hey,

You probably get these "My MBP is coming soon!" threads very often, but this one's super special because it's mine.

I just ordered a 2.4ghz 15" MBP. A couple of questions:

1) FedEX said it would come on Tuesday at 10:30AM. Can it come earlier? (It has already arrived at a nearby airport from China.)

2) If I want to play a game like BioShock, will I need 4GB for reasonable play? (I got a 7200rpm hard drive and 2GB.)

3) I didn't order AppleCare with it because it's cheaper on ebay. Can I wait a year and then buy AppleCare off ebay and get an extra 3 years for a total of 4 years? or will I just get 3 years total? Is any of that possible?

4) What's the cheapest external hard drive to use? Is there a such thing as a bluetooth external hard drive?

5) Which Windows operating system should I get? I will really just be using it for games. Does that mean XP Pro?

6) I know the problems with mighty mouse--if I'm going to play games, should I not buy one?

7) Can my MBP display at a higher resolution on my 22" monitor that supports 1680x1050?

8) Can I close my MBP's screen while it's plugged into a monitor and continue to work?

9) What's the quickest way of transferring data from my PowerBook G4 (broken) hard drive to this one? I have some important college admissions essays and other things on there.

10) Are the standard 1-year warranty and AppleCare warranty the same?

That's a lot... you can pick and choose if you want!

Thanks for any replies!

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Well, yes, there ARE a LOT of "I got a new MBP" threads. I would be tempted to say, "Search the forum (STF)."
But since this is YOURS, here's your answers. :)
1. yes
2. RTM
3. yes
4. you don't want the cheapest HD. Trust me. and no bluetooth.
5. IMO, XP Pro. (how to set it up is more complicated. STF.)
6. Problems with the mighty mouse?
7. yes.
8. yes, if you set up your MBP to do that. STF.
9. how broken is your G4 HD? probably firewire in Target Disk mode (STF).
10 yes.

In summary, STF!

Reaction score
Hey,

You probably get these "My MBP is coming soon!" threads very often, but this one's super special because it's mine.

I just ordered a 2.4ghz 15" MBP. A couple of questions:

1) FedEX said it would come on Tuesday at 10:30AM. Can it come earlier? (It has already arrived at a nearby airport from China.)

2) If I want to play a game like BioShock, will I need 4GB for reasonable play? (I got a 7200rpm hard drive and 2GB.)

3) I didn't order AppleCare with it because it's cheaper on ebay. Can I wait a year and then buy AppleCare off ebay and get an extra 3 years for a total of 4 years? or will I just get 3 years total? Is any of that possible?

4) What's the cheapest external hard drive to use? Is there a such thing as a bluetooth external hard drive?

5) Which Windows operating system should I get? I will really just be using it for games. Does that mean XP Pro?

6) I know the problems with mighty mouse--if I'm going to play games, should I not buy one?

7) Can my MBP display at a higher resolution on my 22" monitor that supports 1680x1050?

8) Can I close my MBP's screen while it's plugged into a monitor and continue to work?

9) What's the quickest way of transferring data from my PowerBook G4 (broken) hard drive to this one? I have some important college admissions essays and other things on there.

That's a lot... you can pick and choose if you want!

Thanks for any replies!

1. It will probably come at the time they say it will.
2. What are the specs of the game? What are the recommended settings?
3. I think you can buy AppleCare anytime within a year of purchase. Phone support is only available for 90 days after purchase without AppleCare though.
4. I haven't heard of any bluetooth hard drives. In terms of which is cheapest, this depends on size, speed, etc. Do you need it to be portable? Would you prefer firewire? How much space do you need? How fast do you want the hard drive to be?
5. I would recommend XP Pro.
6. I don't personally have a mighty mouse, but I have heard of issues with them. If you want the best for games, get a laser mouse.
7. Yes, as long as the settings are on extended desktop and not mirror mode. The video card can display as high of a resolution as the external monitor will support on the external monitor. Don't display anything higher than 1440x900 on the MBP screen though, it can damage it.
8. Yes, you can close the screen. It would require you to have an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected. Some would recommend against this because of the cooling issues with the MBP.
9. Is the hard drive still accessible? Or is it completely dead? Was it the hard drive that died, or something else on the computer?
10. I believe in terms of coverage, AppleCare is the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, it could come earlier. It could also come later so don't be upset if it isn't there at 10:30 AM sharp on Tuesday. It could be Wednesday, just be patient.

Check with the game's specs.

It is a total of 3 years, you get a year with purchase.

There are literally hundreds of external drives to choose from. I would recommend Western Digital MyBook drives.

I would slow down if I were you. Don't worry about Windows just yet. Learn how to use the Mac first, then deal with Windows later... if you still feel the need to install it.

Any USB mouse will do.

The external monitor should handle whatever resolution it is capable of.

Yes, providing you have it plugged into AC, have an external keyboard attached and use an external mouse.

Target Disk Mode.

Yes.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
so there you have it. three sets of answers, all the same(?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.