How to make back ups ??

Reaction score
Ok i got a external hard drive for back ups. I was able to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable image of my hard drive & it works well. Now I would like to partition the drive so that I can back up some documents & my pic's & music. Would also like to have another partition for the bootable drive image like I have on there now.
How do I go about doing this ?? Would I be able to just drag & drop my documents etc into the partition??

Thanks for the help here

Tried doing a search on this but came up empty. So sorry if this has been posted before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Unlike in Windows, there is hardly any advantage of partitioning a HDD in OS X. In contrary it may give you more trouble recovering the system after an unexpected crash. You should consider keeping the HDD as a single partition rather than scattering your file system.

OP
M
Reaction score
What i would like to do is just back up a few things like Favorites & my music & pic's so that I can do an erase & install of my Tiger. For no real reason other then to just clean it up.

I have not found a way that I can get things back over after doing this with the bottable image that i have now .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You should just be able to mount the back you have and drag the files back over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Here is my oft posted backup approach:

I have always done backups the "cheap and cheerful" way. It is even easier with Macs than it was on my PC.

I get an external hard drive. To back up, I plug it in, turn it on and then create a new folder in its root called todays_date_backup. Then I simply use Finder (or PathFinder in my case) to drag my home folder into my newly created backup folder. This copies ALL of my personal data. It does not create a full blown image of my current disk, but I tend to view the system setup as transient. It is my personal stuff (music, photos, files, etc.) that I want to keep.

To make this really useful, I use a system of two hard drives, which I rotate between work and home. Each time I do a backup, I take the hard drive with the fresh backup to work and exchange it with the one there. That way, I always have two full backups at two different locations. Hence, even if some terrible disaster should befall my house (tornado, flood, fire, whatever), I still have a full backup "off site".

Note that no incremental backup software is involved or needed. Hard drives are so big and so fast these days that this works great and it is so simple. It has always been my philosophy that in order to be done regularly, backing up must be easy. Apple clearly agrees with me - I think that this is the whole premise behind Time Machine (... a FAR more elegant solution than what I do of course!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Unlike in Windows, there is hardly any advantage of partitioning a HDD in OS X. In contrary it may give you more trouble recovering the system after an unexpected crash. You should consider keeping the HDD as a single partition rather than scattering your file system.

Not exactly true. Mac OS X is pretty smart when it comes to partitions. I've always partitioned my HD, and have never had any problems recovering all my data after a crash or reinstall. Not that I have a crash, or the need to reinstall that often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.