Which Mac is the best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06 GHz / Late 2008 MBP 17" 2.6GHz high res. anti-glare, 4GB RAM
I know it sounds stupid but I am going to ask this to my fellow Mac fans...

I am intend to buy my first Apple Macintosh and i am confused which one to buy. iMac 24" with extreme processor or MacBook Pro 17" duo processor.

i do have a need to carrying it to my work and sometimes using it on my bed or couch.

but I was wondering what if i buy now and after a few months there will be a newer/better model of MacBook Pro in the market. may be jet black in colour....so i will regret that i should have waited for a while. so if there is any newer model coming out sooner then i can wait for a month or two. but if its gonna take more than 6-8 months then i can buy current version of MacBook Pro.

please give me some suggestion.... i know its totally a personal choice but still i would like to hear some experts' reviews about both machine, technology differences, etc...

My main usage will be iworks, browsing, downloading videos, music, some picture editings in photoshop, sometime i would love to play games like doom, unreal, etc...

thanks for your time in reading this and for your professional advise.

rehan, edmonton, canada

Reaction score
First, there are no words of a new MBP coming up, even if Apple plans to introduce a new MBP, nobody (except for Apple's ** employee) will know! If you believe there is an update coming up after the new year, then wait for it. But as far as we know, there is not updates for MBP.

I think between the MBP and the 24" iMac is the video card... do you really need to get the extreme? You just buy a another 1GB ram from Memory Express for $35 and pop it into an iMac within 3min. As for the HDD, got get yourself an external harddrive and save the $ from Apple's upgrade.

I say for your need since you need it on the go as well... the MBP is more suitable for you. I personally have not played with a MBP, but I do have a 24" iMac (non-extreme) and its been great... so unless you are doing intense photoshop and video editing, I don't think you will need the extreme if you decided to go this route *oh and the 24" monitor is just HUGE!*

Try going to mymacdealer in Edmonton and play with both computers and see which one you like. Since they specialized in Mac, they should be able to answer all your questions. Then order from Apple if you qualify for a student discount. If not then buy it from your local dealer.

Good luck with your purchase!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you have a need to carry the machine around:

i do have a need to carrying it to my work and sometimes using it on my bed or couch.

you pretty much HAVE to chose the MBP. Case closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
the iMac is probably the better choice if you don't plan on moving it around.

But there is iLugger and I think I saw someone with it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I couldn't imagine carrying around a 24" iMac on a regular basis!

I guess there is also the money factor. Do you need a big screen where you travel to? IMHO the best combination is a 15" MBP for travel necessities and an external monitor for home use (gaming, movies, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
My MBP is pretty much my desktop replacement...it offers pretty much all the processing power of its less mobile brothers and sisters but gives you the ability of being able to take it with you where ever you go.

I was torn between the 24" iMac or the MBP, but chose the MBP because its nice to be able to lay on the couch or in bed and do your computing...or be able to make your photo editing studio mobile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I couldn't imagine carrying around a 24" iMac on a regular basis!

That's for sure. Mine got heavy carrying it from the store to my car. It weights alot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.