Accesing iphoto pics without iphoto?

Reaction score
Is there a way to access my pics stored on iphoto without actually opening iphoto? In case I just wanted a certain photo without having to go through the whole program? I looked for iphoto files but couldn't find any. Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
From my understanding, it is important to use iPhoto to locate and move your photos, and not do it "manually" through finder, etc. This is especially true of iPhoto 08, as it leaves the original photo as a "negative", and applies any editing to the photo when it is viewed or moved. Perhaps a better way of handling a photo without using iPhoto is to open iPhoto (that made sense, didn't it?) and save the photo to your desktop or e-mail.
iPhoto 08 handles editing more like Aperture. You can get a better idea of this process by viewing a tutorial on Aperture which will explain how the original image is never changed, but any changes that you apply to the photo are saved as the change data only. This is a very small file that is applied to the original when opened. A really great way to have lots of versions of one photo without using large amounts of srive space.

Reaction score
not if you let iPhoto organize your photos for you. This is why I don't let iPhoto do that. I organize them myself in Finder, and just iPhoto for viewing them all at once and making slideshows.

Reaction score
which version of iPhoto? If iPhoto '08, navigate to [User Directory] -> Pictures. Right Click on "iPhoto Library" and select "Show Package Contents". Click Contents, and it should be organized into folders there.

As previously mentioned, it's recommended not to move photos manually, but if you want to copy a photo, you should be able to do it this way.

Reaction score
From my understanding, it is important to use iPhoto to locate and move your photos, and not do it "manually" through finder, etc. This is especially true of iPhoto 08, as it leaves the original photo as a "negative", and applies any editing to the photo when it is viewed or moved. Perhaps a better way of handling a photo without using iPhoto is to open iPhoto (that made sense, didn't it?) and save the photo to your desktop or e-mail.
iPhoto 08 handles editing more like Aperture. You can get a better idea of this process by viewing a tutorial on Aperture which will explain how the original image is never changed, but any changes that you apply to the photo are saved as the change data only. This is a very small file that is applied to the original when opened. A really great way to have lots of versions of one photo without using large amounts of srive space.
I don't think it works this way. If you look at the package contents of the iPhoto library, it keeps a log of the modified images in the folder "Modified". Granted, only modified photos inside an album are saved here. But I do believe it is a copy of the photo, and not just change data. If there is something I'm misunderstanding about this, please let me know. I'll check out the Aperture tutorial as well..

which version of iPhoto? If iPhoto '08, navigate to [User Directory] -> Pictures. Right Click on "iPhoto Library" and select "Show Package Contents". Click Contents, and it should be organized into folders there.

As previously mentioned, it's recommended not to move photos manually, but if you want to copy a photo, you should be able to do it this way.
Correction to this:

When you right click and select "Show Package Contents", there should be folders named "Originals" and "Modified". These will contain the photos organized by folders.

That did it, thanks. So would it be bad to add photos to that file?
You can try it. iPhoto may auto-recognize that a new photo is there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You should only add photos to iPhoto via the application. iPhoto will not see that you manually placed photos in it's private area. Playing in that area will likely cause unpredictable results.

Also, DO NOT EDIT photos in that private area. If you want to do that, then learn how to copy files in OS X and copy them out of that private area. Since it is easy to mess this up, I recommend you export from iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Her is a little used automator action you can use as a browser. It's built in and free

1. Open Automator, and click iPhoto.
2. From the list of actions, select Ask for Photos, and drag it to the right-hand pane.
3. Save this as a plug-in, and select Script Menu (the script menu that displays in the menu bar) so it is accessible anywhere. (If this menu is not visible, launch the AppleScript Utility in /Applications/Applescript, and check 'Show Script Menu in menu bar.')

This also works with iTunes :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
Illusionist- you may be correct. I got the impression that the original "negative" was unchanged from the iPhoto site under the section "Powerfull Editing Tools" which states: "And all your edits are nondestructive- so you can always go back to the "negative" if need be." The program may just never replace the original, or the negative as we call it now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.