Can't burn photos onto a CD??

Reaction score
OK, I think I may have posted this in the wrong place last time and so sorry about that if I messed anyone up. Now I have no idea where I AM supposed to post it, so am trying here:
I'm having trouble burning photos to a CD - I do a newsletter and when I save the issue to CD it burns just fine, photos and all. But now I made 3 different folders with our vacation pictures in them (on the desktop, and I've already made the .dmg for them with Disk Utility so no problems getting that far) and when I try to burn them to CD, it tries and fails. I get a dialog box that says something like "unable to burn _______The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry." What the heck is going on? I've tried using new different disks. Nope doesn't work. I've tried repairing the files. Nope, nothing wrong. I've tried burning at a different speed. Nope, doesn't work. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I am not that proficient so it's probably me. I'm using this on an eMac, with Tiger 10.4. Like I said, it'll burn my newsletters to a CD with no problem at all but when I try for photos, forget it. What am I doing wrong? Please help! THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
are the files exceeding the amount of space on the disc? you might have to use multiple disc. just an idea

OP
V
Reaction score
Well, thank you, but no the files are small, one was 1.5mb, the other 2.0 I think? I did click the "leave appendable" option as I like to add to my CD's as time goes on.
Is there some other step I am leaving out? I am sure it's something I am doing because it can't be the computer! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not sure if there's a particular reason for using the method you are, but if you have them in iPhoto you can just select the photo's you want to burn, and click the "burn to disc" tab.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin -- I guess the reason I'm doing it this way is because that's how the help menu told me to do it....? Create an alias on the desktop, etc. I've never tried to do it through iPhoto. I'll try that now. Thanks!

OP
V
Reaction score
Now I remember why I didn't do it through iPhoto: there is no way to leave the disc appendable once you burn it. I want to be able to add to the disc - till it's full - if I burn on it. Any ideas how I can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
why don't you just wait til you have enough to burn onto a full disc?
Also, are you burning with a program like Toast? or just with the standard OS?

OP
V
Reaction score
I was trying to just burn three files of photos because I wanted to take them to show my mom. She doesn't wanna see all 3000 of them! (vacation pix, etc) And, it won't work either way! Not using Toast. Am using Tiger 10.4. I know this should work, and it's something I am doing wrong. Any MORE ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You will need a third party app like Toast to be able to do what you want.
Toast allows you to do what they call "burn a session" which then leaves the disc available for you to add to it.
As far as I know, there is definitely no way of doing this in Tiger with it's standard burn program.
I don't know enough about the program "Burn" to know if it will do the same as Toast, but I do know it's free, so is worth a download to see.
If not Toast is worth getting, it's brilliant.

OP
V
Reaction score
No, no, you CAN burn multi sessions with the regular Tiger OS! It is called "creating a disk image" (I called it an alias). This is why I found it so confusing. I have done it and here is what the help menu says:
**Normally, you can burn items to a recordable disc, such as a CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-RW, only one time. However, if you use Disk Utility to burn the disc, you can burn items to a disk in more than one session as long as space is available. This is also called multisession burning.

1. In Disk Utility, create a disk image that contains the files you want to burn to the disc.
2. The files must be from a volume with a Mac OS Extended disk format. To check a volume's disk format, select the disk in Disk Utility and look at the information at the bottom of the Disk Utility window.
3. Select the disk image in the Disk Utility list and choose Images > Burn.
4. Select the "Leave disc appendable" checkbox. If you don't see this option, click the triangle in the top-right corner.
5. Insert a blank recordable disc in the optical drive, and click Burn.

To add more files to the disc later, follow the steps above. You can continue this process until all available space on the disc is used.**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. But we still have the problem with it not allowing you to do that with photo's from iPhoto.
I will try it on my Mac later and see if I can find the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Wow, that's a complicated proceedure for something so simple!
Anyway, I tried and found the same problem as you.
I also tried by selecting a photo event and clicking burn, but it won't let you append the disc that way either.
I will look at Burn, and get in touch again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I downloaded Burn:

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

And it worked absolutely fine. Just tick the leave appendable box, and your away.
Much simpler too, just drag the photo's into the box and click burn, then select your options from the drop down box.
Excellent.

OP
V
Reaction score
Kev:
WOW! Thanks, I will try this later today and get back to you.....if it worked for you it'll work for me as well! Thanks again, I'll be in touch!
--Lois

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.