• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Moto Q.. Worst Phone Ever..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay.. So I first picked up the Moto Q from Telus on the 12th of October. Since then, I've had nothing but problems with this waste of technology. I'm currently on my 2nd handset, and it still isn't functioning like it's supposed to.

Here are some problems I've had and am still having:

- Battery life sucks, charge standard battery 3-5 times a day, even with it's sitting in my pocket at work doing nothing. I charge the extended about 2-3 times a day with the same scenario.
- Incoming calls do not work, and go straight to my voice mail. The notifications don't work till days later, or I just don't get the voice mail messages
- Text messaging is slow and I get messages late. Telus customer care sent an "urgent" message to purge the data through, that worked for a few days and now it's not working that great.
- If I check my email on a computer, it'll show new emails. I will not look at them hoping the Q would pick them up, but it doesn't.
- The OS is sluggish as mud with only an app or two running (MSN, text messages). It has crashed several times, and has doesn't the "I don't want to shut off" routine. I blame Winblows Mobile for this problem..

The only things that have worked well are... Well.. The Dial-up modem feature (using it right now), and the built-in web browser.

I'm really ticked off at Telus, and at Motorola for releasing such a terrible product. I had the RAZR v3c for almost 2 years with Telus and have not had a single problem, then took the Q as an upgrade. I regret every minute of taking this wasteful item.

I depend on my cell phone as my "main phone" as Bell Canada is the worst company to deal with. And now I can't even rely on Telus.

This thing is going back and I'm making them give me a DIFFERENT phone for free. Or they can cancel my contract and pay the penalty fees and I'll switch to Rogers. I honestly don't know who to be more angry at.. Motorola or Telus.

For any one who's looking at this phone.. Don't get it, get a Blackberry or a Palm instead. I can only imagine how much better those devices are.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Just an update..

I just got off the phone with Telus (3rd time this week). And the rep I spoke to, John, was way more helpful than the other 2.

He did some routine tests and whatnot, and for the most part my problems are solved.

Apparently it was a problem on THEIR end, which the other 2 reps failed to tell me.

However, I'm still ticked at the phone for being a battery sucker. He informed me to go to a different Telus store, as it is possible that they had received a batch with bad batteries.

/vent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yeah I was going to say that the delayed text messages and not receiving calls would be on their end. All you have to worry about is the slow OS and the battery life. Hopefully you can get that replaced.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have mine for almost two years now and I have had no problems. Also my carrier is verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Gah. I made a terrible decision today. I was talking with telus... and snapped. Lost it. In a scared voice the rep said he could break my contract. Not listening/thinking I yelled no and hung up.

Worst. Decision. Ever. Someone take me to anger management.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
iRye, that sucks... The other 2 reps I spoke to about these issues never said ANY thing about it being a network issue. This guy said that most of it was. He told me to take my phone to a different Telus store and swap batteries, because as far-fetched as this sounds, it is possible that the one store received a batch of bad batteries. So I'm going to do that next week.

I've had the battery issue on both of the Q's I had. They'd die within 4 hours with NO applications running.

I've been with Telus for almost 2 years and have never had a problem till I got this new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Q as well. It stopped cpnnecting to TELUS network. It took them 2 weeks to get me a new phone and it wa supposed to take 48 hours.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Have you had any battery life issues with your Q?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't say it has good battery life by any means, and I probably don't use it as heavily as you (I don't use data, too expensive), but I get at max 2 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Care to update us? I wanna switch to Rogers like you :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I had the battery problem with my 6700 on Verizon. I went through 2 batteries and had it replaced, and then they replaced the batteries as well and I still had the same problem. It would only stay charged for about 3 - 4 hours and it'd be dead. It would just sit with nothing running, even with the radio off it did the same thing. I don't blame the 6700 because i've seen others that'd last days on a charge. Mine did last a whole week with no charge and I did some intensive stuff for a couple days, but after that the battery went back to the same issue as the other two previous batteries.

Reaction score
I have the Q also, past 2 weeks my texts havent been going through at all, i receive all the texts on time, but when i send the receiver only gets few hours later......

and as well it runs sluggish, battery needs to be charged at least twice a day, when i have a decent amount of texts to delete, phone sometimes freezes and i have to pull the battery out cuz it wont turn off... anyways to sum it up i hate this phone more than any other phone i've had, and luckily i have another phone connected with rogers, and after this month bye bye moto q and bye bye telus.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah, I'm calling Telus tomorrow and making them give me a different phone without paying anything. This is rediculous. I've missed many important calls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.