Mac OS 10.2.3

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have been running OS 10.2.1 for some time now. I only have one problem. That is waking up from sleep I loose connect to the internet. It happeans only when I am connecting through a router. If I connect directly to the cable modem no problem. Except for that, the OS works fine. What I am wondering should I go on and update to 10.2.3 or should I wait for the next revision? Looking for suggestions.

B)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
What make / model router?

K

Kris

Personally, I would update. The update may not fix your problem, but a lot of apps, and the security, will be updated and improved.

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Linksys dsl/cable 4 port router. The interesting thing is I only have the problem with my G4 powerbook (10.2.3) and not with my G3 powermac (10.1.5) or my Ibook 500 (10.1.5). I wonder if the network setting in 10.2.3 is more touchy then 10.1.5.

G

gatorparrots

VersionTracker has a utility for restarting Networking after waking from sleep, but it was intended for OS X 10.1.5. You may want to give it a shot:

(outdated link removed)

Another user describes a similar problem to yours (no network on wake):

(outdated link removed)

You could try this proposed solution (a shell script to run upon wake):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# restart NetInfo, hostname, lookupd, and enable network for no network after
# sleep instead of reboot

sudo /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-NetInfo; \
/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/set-hostname; \
/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-lookupd; \
/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/enable-network

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you gatorparrots. I will try the shell script.

G

gatorparrots

Another option to try is a simple one-line shell command:
sudo SystemStarter restart Network
This runs the same initialization commands that run at system boot time (i.e. it will run the script at "/System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network").

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx again gatorparrots. I like the second option better, than the first. I will try it. I will need to enable the root account first then execute, sudo SystemStarter restart Network.

:)

G

gatorparrots

Originally posted by rman@Jan 8 2003, 01:19 AM
I will try it. I will need to enable the root account first then execute, sudo SystemStarter restart Network.
No, you don't need to enable the root account in order to execute sudo commands. The only requirement for issuing a 'sudo' is that you be a member of the admin group (thus placing you in the sudoers file).

The easiest way to check that your user account has admin status is to go to System Preferences > Accounts pane , Users tab. If your user account has 'Admin' under the 'Type' description field, you are an Administrator and can therefore issue sudo commands with your adminstrator password.

or go to Terminal.app and type:
groups
It should return:
staff admin
if you are an Administrator.

OS X comes shipped with root disabled by default. You should never have to enable the root account in an OS X installation. The OS was designed in such a way that there are other replacement facilities available (such as sudo to execute commands as root without actually enabling that potentially dangerous account. Dangerous for both security reasons and for the fact that the user can easily shoot themselves in the foot and hose their whole OS installation or data with just a single command. I always recommend NOT using root. Try sudo for most of your work as root. Sometimes calling a root shell with sudo -s is necessary (don't forget to exit out when done impersonating root). For the GUI end of things, Try Brian Hill's Pseudo to launch GUI applications (such as BBEdit) as root:

(outdated link removed)

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx again. I am use to using the root account on other flavors of Unix (IRIX, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX). I am just starting to look at the Mac version of Unix.

What I am worrying though, is with the problems that I have read about 10.2.2 and 10.2.3, should I upgrade. Now with 10.2.4 on the horizon. Maybe I should wait for it.

G

gatorparrots

There will always be bugs and quirks. When they quash some, new ones arise. Conventional wisdom says "don't go for version 1.0 software. Wait till version 2.0 or even 3.0 for it to be proven." In this case, we have OS X with the Public Beta, then 10.0.x, then 10.1.x, and now 10.2.x. 10.1 was what 10.0 should have been, and Jaguar should have been the 10.1 upgrade. I wouldn't wait any further. 10.2.2 & 10.2.3 are great. I use it in production everyday (and have a 10.1.5 server machine as well). 10.2.4 will be even better, 10.2.5 will be the most stable of all, etc...

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, for your help. I will most likely backup my system this weekend and upgrade to 10.2.3.

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did not get a chance to upgrade what powerbook this past weekend. I in the process of preparing to do a backup. I would like to get a separate copy of all of the important files. Which directories should I back up?

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally did the upgrade, but not 10.2.3 but to 10.2.4. All is well go so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.