Hello all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ, 2MB RAM, Leopard
I have just got my new MBP and it rocks, for the last 15 years I have been a PC user and never used a mac before, I already own a Vaio AR11S but first impressions are the mac is beautiful and I prefer it to the Sony.

I have only had it a day and have a huge learning curve but am very eager just to play around and see how apple does things vs traditional PC.

If there are any tips, do's or dont's that anyone can advise to help a novice

tia

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Welcome to Mac-Forums kopthis1975!

Well, I know how exciting it is to play around with the MBP. You've got a great machine and it will impress you even more in the coming days. If you never used a Mac before you will find plenty of resources here. You can also checkout this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Welcome aboard.

My only tip is, don't expect the Mac to be a PC, it isn't. As soon as you get comfortable with that idea, you'll find things really start to come together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
Welcome aboard.

My only tip is, don't expect the Mac to be a PC, it isn't. As soon as you get comfortable with that idea, you'll find things really start to come together.

Thats so true, I got my mac around a month ago & at first I struggled a little trying t use it like a pc but when I learnt how it use it as a mac it was great

It's now a true joy to use.

Welcome aboard

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, am really looking forward to using it and getting under the skin....its seems so slick....hours of fun!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
Welcome aboard, kopthis1975. I'm a recent switcher myself. My biggest tip will be to make sure you look at the menu bar at the top as it changes depending on what program you have selected. I found this took a little time to get used to as the menu bar in Windows is attached to the program, whereas it isn't on the Mac. Good luck and have fun!

Sean

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have a quick question for you guys, is it possible to switch between users without having to log out of a given profile?

Reaction score
Actually I don't think the learning curve will be that great. Don't try and use it as a PC and I found it just comes naturally. There is lots of help here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes and it is really easy.

1) Open the System Preferences.
2) Click on the check box to Enable fast user switching.

Once enabled this feature, the current user name should appear at the top right corner. By clicking on the user name, you can select to login as another user without logout from the current user account.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks novicew, i worked out that i had to enable fast user switching, but didnt know where to execute!! cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.