Which one?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'd having trouble deciding on a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I'm a HS student on the newspaper (photo editor), so I do a lot of work with Photoshop and Indesign (and possibly dreamweaver later).

I really want a Macbook, but can't decide between the two. The Macbook is smaller and more portable (I guess), but the max RAM is only 2GB. No matter what notebook I got, I would max out the RAM. The Pro also has a bigger screen for photo/layout editing, but when I'm home I can always hook a laptop up to my 19" LCD or 27" LCDTV....

Will 2GB of RAM/Macbook be enough to run Ps (with multiple photos open) and Id (multiple pages open) at the same time?

I'm lost!!! Help!!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you are expecting to do lot of work with PS and DW, I would recommend you to go for a MBP. The MB would do the job however in the long run you will feel more comfortable working on a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
Max ram for a macbook is actually 3gb of ram. I use ps and id for school as well and find it works fine on my macbook (I hook to a monitor of intense editing). I do feel however if you have the money go pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
You can use either. a Macbook pro is generally recommended to people who do a lot of video or imaging but a macbook can do it perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
I had both, go for a refurb MBP from apple.com, same Applecare etc, just comes in an unmarked box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If you're going to be using Photoshop to make movie marquees or billboards that require huge high resolution images, then yes a Macbook Pro, or even better yet, one of those quad/8 way Mac Pros would fit the bill.

If you're going to be rendering video and cranking out DVD for broadcast, then a MBP would also fit the bill.

If you're just going to be editing photos for print in a newspaper, then a Macbook with 2GB RAM will do nicely. The smaller screen isn't limiting if you know how to maximize your photoshopping resources (I use zoom a lot to get detail work when working with the small screen) it'll more than do the job. It is also far more portable than the MBP, even the smallest one. I take my Macbook places I'd be likely to not were it a Pro.

Save the money and invest the savings into upgraded disk, RAM (up to 3GB) and software. Later when you're a hot-shot graphics designer you'll easily afford a MBP and possibly an assistant to lug it around for you. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Hey guys,

I'd having trouble deciding on a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I'm a HS student on the newspaper (photo editor), so I do a lot of work with Photoshop and Indesign (and possibly dreamweaver later).

That alone right there tells me Macbook Pro. The Macbook is fine for surfing the web, checking your email, word processing, mild photo and video editing but when you need straight power for graphic and processor intensive programs like most photo and video editing software is, get the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have more than one Mac!
I was stuck in the same situation. Have since decided to go for the maxed-out MacBook configuration after the next update (which I personally expect during the January expo). Black is just so much nicer than silver, plus if you're in college as I am you're never working as hard as a pro (or is that just me? ;)) and an extra £200/$400 just isn't worth it until you really need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
and an extra £200/$400 just isn't worth it until you really need it.

Yes, it really is...the pro is a LOT more computer than the regular macbook.

OP
L
Reaction score
How much of a difference is it? The only two variables seem to be RAM and the CPU. If, say, both books have the same RAM, but the MBP has 2.2Ghz and the MB is 2.0Ghz, will there really be a huge difference in performance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.