Photo Library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Hello,

Im currently used to storing my images in a file systems, eg Holidays People etc.. on my computer hard drive. I then used to view all these images with the built in windows Picture viewer and just clicked the "next" button to scroll along.

I have tried to use this same method in mac OSX (tiger, will be leopard soon). But i find it difficult to go through them as the mac finder will not produce preview thumnails of each image, only display the name. Also when i want to open them to look at i have to click each one once, close it then open the next one using the mac preview application.

Is there any better way to do this? I have had a little fiddle with iPhoto, bit i haven't really got on with it as i first have to copy pics off my camera, then import them into iPhoto and it gets all a bit confusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
What I do is select everything in a folder and right click and open. Then you can use the up and down arrow.

Maybe there is a better way (I've had this same issue/thought) but I don't know it.

T

Reaction score

But i find it difficult to go through them as the mac finder will not produce preview thumnails of each image, only display the name.

picture_1-20071031-125537.jpg

If your thumbnails are generic icons use CocoThumbX to fix them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
You can set you finder to show its content as thumbnails. It's an option in the finder window (on top), the one with 4 squares. You can even set the size of the thumbnail in the finder.

To preview your images, you can select them, right-click and select "preview as a slideshow" ==> may be a different name. My OSX is not in English.

Besides, you can always use iPhoto..

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
oh, thanks. You learn something new every day!

One thing odd i have noticed. When i plug my digi cam in, i open the folder and drag all my pictures onto my hard drive. When i then eject my camera and turn my camera on it says that I have only space for 3 odd photo's but the preview menu on the camera says there are no pics. MaxOSX also says that there is only 15mb available on the camera's drive out of 2gb but there are no files to be seen..

If i then format the camera's card on the camera it is fine. I found this odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen
Why not just set iPhoto to be the program in view the pics from your digital camera? Then you can import them straight from there. You can also have iPhoto delete the photo's from your camera once it's done importing. I didn't like iPhoto '06 but with '08 and being able to organize them with event's (I use events more as categories) it's makes it a lot nicer and easier to keep organized.

Reaction score
Have Apple sorted out in iPhoto '08, whether or not you are able to select from your camera which pics you want to download .. this is what bugged me most about iPhoto '06 ... and led me to using Image Capture.app instead.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
One thing odd i have noticed. When i plug my digi cam in, i open the folder and drag all my pictures onto my hard drive. When i then eject my camera and turn my camera on it says that I have only space for 3 odd photo's but the preview menu on the camera says there are no pics. MaxOSX also says that there is only 15mb available on the camera's drive out of 2gb but there are no files to be seen..

If i then format the camera's card on the camera it is fine. I found this odd.

I think I had this problem with memory attrition (after everything is deleted, you still don't have memory space). The culprit is hidden .DSStore files and .Trashes folders. You can search those terms to get more details, but the bottom line is that you need to empty the trash. Reformatting your memory card has that effect because it is erasing those hidden files.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Hello,

Im currently used to storing my images in a file systems, eg Holidays People etc.. on my computer hard drive. I then used to view all these images with the built in windows Picture viewer and just clicked the "next" button to scroll along.

I have tried to use this same method in mac OSX (tiger, will be leopard soon). But i find it difficult to go through them as the mac finder will not produce preview thumnails of each image, only display the name. Also when i want to open them to look at i have to click each one once, close it then open the next one using the mac preview application.

Is there any better way to do this? I have had a little fiddle with iPhoto, bit i haven't really got on with it as i first have to copy pics off my camera, then import them into iPhoto and it gets all a bit confusing.

I am right there with ya, man. People will tell (have told) you to just let iPhoto do it. People have told me that too. I just can't though. I have this innate, inexplicable need to know where my photos are (Explorer style). So I have downloaded my photos to Finder then imported them to iPhoto. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore. iPhoto has given me fits. I've given it four or five chances too. Rebuilding the iPhoto library with 6,000 photos five times takes it out of a guy, you know?

Anyhoo, other m-f threads I've seen recommend other image browsers. The ones I tried were Xee and JustLooking. Neither had everything I was looking for so I've switched back and forth, but I liked them better than anything packaged with OS X. If you find anything better, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Spawn__Dooley;517517 said:
Have Apple sorted out in iPhoto '08, whether or not you are able to select from your camera which pics you want to download .. this is what bugged me most about iPhoto '06 ... and led me to using Image Capture.app instead.
Yes. iPhoto 08 will show thumbnails of the camera content. You can choose to download them all, or select just the photos you want to download. I've used both methods with success.

Reaction score
Yes. iPhoto 08 will show thumbnails of the camera content. You can choose to download them all, or select just the photos you want to download. I've used both methods with success.

Thanks for that info xstep. iLife '08 is looking more and more like a worthwhile purchase ... could be a Christmas pressie to myself ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.