A Couple Questions Regarding The New iMacs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80gb, iMac Coming!!
Hi, I'm selling my piece of crap dell that I bought last month and I am planning to buy the 20" iMac. The one that starts out at 1200 and then I chose the 320gb harddrive and wireless keyboard and mouse just a couple questions though. Money is a little tight so I want to make sure the one I can afford is worth it. Is the 1gb memory good with the new mac ox operating system? Like the new windows vista is horrible with 1gb of memory so I'd like to know if this is the same with the mac. Also I was going with 2.0ghz instead of the 2.4ghz, is there a major difference? is 2.0 bad or with a lower frequency does that cause it too be slower? or a louder operating system? And the ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128mb memory is standard with this one compared to the other 3 imacs that come standard with 2600 pro with 256mb, is there a major difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I think the base iMac with the upgrades you want, HD, wireless keyboard & mouse should be fine.

1GB I think is more than enough, the minium requirement is 512.

Unless you are going to do amazing graphic tasks then the ATI 2400 should be fine.

I saw the cheapest cheapest iMac on Saturday and it was amazing!

Reaction score
I would recommend the 2 GB RAM. I have 2 gig in mine and if I check the Activity Monitor I always have less than 1 gig free. Means I MBP is using more than 1 GB of RAM and if you would only have 1, it starts swapping, which slows you down quite a bit.

As for your question: I would probably go with the 2.0GHz version but take 2 gig of RAM. My opinion

:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I won't be doing graphics so I won't worry about the graphics then, thank you for the info. I figured I should have to upgrade to 2gb ram though, I'll look into it, thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
You can save around $100 by getting the RAM somewhere else and putting it in yourself

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Oh Really? What brand would you recommend? And any specific stores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would recommend the 2 GB RAM. I have 2 gig in mine and if I check the Activity Monitor I always have less than 1 gig free. Means I MBP is using more than 1 GB of RAM and if you would only have 1, it starts swapping, which slows you down quite a bit.

As for your question: I would probably go with the 2.0GHz version but take 2 gig of RAM. My opinion

:)

I think your mistaking the free memory with how much you have to spare. I have 2 gigs and I have 1.3 to spare. (combination of free and inactive) Thats while running this browser and copying music to iTunes. 1 gig runs the machine just fine. I started with 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
crucial.com is good to.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Doesn't opening the the monitor and installing the memory void the warranty? that's what dell told me way back when. Does apple work different or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
That hasn't been the case for a long time. All Computer makers expect certain upgrades to take place and no longer require the factory to perform them (i.e. RAM, Video card, PCI-express cards).

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Nearly worth me ordering from AUS haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.