Saving e mail addresses

Reaction score
So far after 6 months of using a Mac everything is simple and requires minimal keystrokes to achieve the end goal: However I find saving e mail addresses quite cumbersome. Am I doing something wrong?

This is what I do:

When I receive a new e-mail from a new contact I save it in the Address Book.

Lets assume that I have two Group Names in my address book, one is for WORK and the other is PERSONAL.

When an email arrives from a new WORK contact I have to click on the e-mail address and click on “Add to Address Book”

Then I have to go into Address book and have to copy the contact to my WORK Group Name. Surely this step could be done away with, is there not a way to tell the new e mail address into which Group Name to go as by default a copy is always saved to the “ALL” directory.

I sure i am missing something; Mac would never make extra steps.

Please advise

Thanks Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Looking into it for you...I'll get bk to your post if I find anything out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
What about making a smart group in Address book
address_book-20071031-165728.jpg

You can choose from a good many arguments to filter your address into one of them..
There is not doubt a more elegant way to do it but I have used it a little for some e-mails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found this:
***QUOTE***you can simply drag the sender's name in Mail and drop it in any group you like in Address Book! The best way to do this would be to have both Mail and Address Book open, then drag from Mail and use Command-Tab (or Exposé) to switch to Address Book and drop it in. END QUOTE***

Hope this helps you...sounds pretty easy...bythe way welcome to Mac...you'll love them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about making a smart group in Address book
address_book-20071031-165728.jpg

You can choose from a good many arguments to filter your address into one of them..
There is not doubt a more elegant way to do it but I have used it a little for some e-mails

Thats very smart...;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.