PC CD-ROMs and MAC???

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to this forum and to Mac as well, but looking into buying a MacBook.
I am using Windows now and I have some interactive CD-ROMs which I would need to run on the Mac.
I understand it is possible to install XP as a parallel OS. Will all the Windows CD-ROMs run properly on this parallel system?

In case I get a virus on this parallel XP, is it possible it'll affect the OS X in some way??? Sorry if stupid question...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
Hi and welcome,

If you install Windows to your Mac with Parallers or Bootcamp all those cd's should work fine.
You don't have to worry about XP viruses getting to your OSX. They won't work in OSX and Windows can't write to OSX partitions (actually it cant even read those partitions).

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Supox!
Just realized what I really wanted to ask...
Of course windows viruses can't affect OS X, but could those viruses affect the performance of the computer? Could they permanently damage the hard drive or processor?
If I go online in OS X, can windows viruses access into the XP part and cause problems??? (even if it is not the active system?)
I'm very worried that these idiot things could damage my Mac...:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
No you don't have to worry about those things. XP viruses can only slow your computer if you use XP when it's affected. And viruses can't break your computer (processor or hard drive). There have been some viruses that broke computers bios (I don't remember the name of that virus), but it's not a threat anymore (and Mac computer don't have same kind of Bios that PC's have). If you decide to switch to Mac you'll be much safer with OSX than you are with PC and XP, trust me on this :D.

To make it clear, those viruses that infect XP can't see OSX. They don't even know that OSX exists in your computer. So if your are using OSX and have somekind of firewall you'll be safe.

And if you go online with OSX those pesky viruses can't affect your XP installation.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!!!
All I need to do now is figure out which MacBook I want :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.