XP on mac? Who uses it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
Who uses Boot camp? I've been thinking about putting XP on my mac but I don't think I'd use it that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Anyone who needs windows-only software, or play games uses bootcamp+XP. I personally don't need anything from Windows so I don't use it. If I do need some software, i install it via parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
I have XP setup with bootcamp, I really only use it for playing a couple games but I don't use it very often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I installed it but after messing around with it for a few hours and I remembered why I switched in the first place and deleted it. I agree with goobimama however, if you are going to use it, use it with parallels not bootcamp.

Reaction score
If I play Half-Life 2 on OSX (if it's compatible, i'm not sure if it is), will the performance be lower than if I play it on XP?

Because in that case, I probably won't get XP

Reaction score
I use XP on bootcamp. I also have VMWare Fusion so I could access the bootcamp partition without rebooting.

I do use the Mac partition about 90% of the time. The XP partition is there for work-related material.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I had Boot Camp on my machine till I got my hands on Parallels a couple of hours later. Haven't had it on my Mac since then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
I have XP installed via Bootcamp, mostly for testing (benchmarking) and playing games. While I use Windows, it's only for those things and when I'm done it's back to OSX. Can't stand that operating system (XP) for anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Ah. I just realised why I have boot camp. It's just that *some* hard drives *sometimes* refuse to mount in OS X even after restarting. So then I boot into XP to access the files or do some transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I don't use bootcamp or parallels ~ don't want to touch Microsoft anything more than I have to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I use windows xp through boot camp although i may be making the change to fusion or parallels.

i need windows xp to access a national database when i am on the road. there is no way around it as of yet. but if it wasnt for that i would probably never use windows

Reaction score
I've just upgraded Tiger to Leopard so am tempted to try XP via bootcamp to run some old legacy Windows apps (like Dreamweaver/Fireworks)... is it easy and safe, or messy and risky?! I'm not sure whether to risk it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I use the 64-bit versions of XP and Vista on Fusion instead. It makes no sense to me that I should give up the functionality of my Mac just to use Visio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I use XP for school and yahoo.. (HATE the mac version of Yahoo) ... but I run through Fusion (Unity) nice!! .... no other reason for XP other than using Word and Yahoo.

Reaction score
It's really the only way to play games.....if you play that is. I mean, you could use crossover, but I don't know a lot about that. I heard some success stories, but personally use bootcamp myself. It works awsome....sometimes freezes, not sure why. Also my clock is kinda screwed up, but besides that it runs perfectly. Get it if you like playing games besides blizzard stuff, other than that, OSX ftw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz, 120gb hdd, ATI radeon x1600
I am using it right now, it is fairly stable and I am pretty happy with it over all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I have XP on BootCamp (but access via Fusion 99% of the time). I originally installed it for 1 purpose: to use the U3 Uninstaller.

Since then it has come in handy though; without it I wouldn't have been able to register my MAC address on the University's network. I've also decided to install a couple PC games I found around the house (Halo & Unreal Tournament 2003) and there's a couple applications used on my course that only run on Windows (so I can "work" from home if I need to).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Sorry, if this isn't relevant but since we're talking about bootcamp.

I mostly play Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne (DotA and other custom games online).

The case for the original warcraft 3 (Reign of Chaos) says its OS and Windows compatiable, and e expansion (Frozen Throne) says it's windows only.

Will this work, on OS X? Since the original works on OS X? or will I have to install BootCamp?

I will probably install bootcamp anyway for other MMORPG games and FPS games But its good to at least have one game availabe on OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I have XP in BootCamp but I rarely use it, it just has a couple of games, I run Trainz on it and the software for updating my Linux PVR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.