Quicktime is default for opening files O.o

Reaction score
recently Quicktime has become the default program for opening files such as EXE and BIN and i havent been able to undo this. Its a real pain because the solution for it probably isnt very hard, but i cant seem to figure it out.
I cannot seem to find the application to open it with, except it recommends Divx and Divx converter but i know these arent the ones.... something popped up about stuffIt but im not sure about it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Select an .exe file via the Finder. Under the File menu select Get Info. Choose Open with: and choose the application to open that one file. Just below there you'll see an option to "Change All..." which pops up a window to confirm you really want to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Remember that .exe files are for Windows and won't open in OS X.

Reaction score
Aren't .exe files a Windows thing ... do you mean you are trying to launch an .exe file in Mac or Windows partition?

OP
I
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;516220 said:
Aren't .exe files a Windows thing ... do you mean you are trying to launch an .exe file in Mac or Windows partition?

yea, im trying to run them in OS X, the site says you can do it, but im not sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
yea, im trying to run them in OS X, the site says you can do it, but im not sure

A .exe is a Windows Executable; it won't run in OS X. You've probably downloaded the wrong version (or the site has linked to the wrong version).

Reaction score
As Levi hints, you shouldn't have a ,exe file for your Mac ... you need the .dmg file version for Mac.

Try using Stuffit to open the file ... you mentioned it popped up as an option in your first post ... if you can't find it just do a Spotlight search for it.

Here's the link to download the uptodate version of Stuffit Expander (Free)

• On the desktop, double-click macmsgs.bin.
  • Double-click the resulting Messenger351.dmg, and copy MSN Messenger to your desktop or Applications folder.
  • Double-click MSN Messenger.
  • Read the terms of the Microsoft End-User License Agreement (EULA) and, if you accept these terms, click Accept.
  • Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installation.

^^Have you followed these steps ^^

OP
I
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;516435 said:
As Levi hints, you shouldn't have a ,exe file for your Mac ... you need the .dmg file version for Mac.

Try using Stuffit to open the file ... you mentioned it popped up as an option in your first post ... if you can't find it just do a Spotlight search for it.

Here's the link to download the uptodate version of Stuffit Expander (Free)

^^Have you followed these steps ^^

Yes, but remember, quicktime has become the default for opening that Bin. file type...but ill try the Stuffit program

Reaction score
Don't worry about the default program thing as that's a minor issue, we need to make sure you're following the recommended download/install procedure that's on the website ... when you have Stuffit running just click on File ~> Open ... and point it to the download on your desktop ... Then follow xsteps instructions (see post #2) about setting the 'Open With' prefs for that type of file.

OP
I
Reaction score
Reaction score
Great!

Now don't forget to follow the instructions in post #2 to set Stuffit to be the default app for those files ... ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;516453 said:
Great!

Now don't forget to follow the instructions in post #2 to set Stuffit to be the default app for those files ... ;)

I got as far as updating MSN, but then when i try to open the Messenger bin, i get
The file does not appear to be compressed or encoded. It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of the file.

:S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I got as far as updating MSN, but then when i try to open the Messenger bin, i get
The file does not appear to be compressed or encoded. It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of the file.

:S

I'm not sure what you're doing; if Stuffit has expanded the original .bin file, you should have a .dmg file. Double-click the .dmg to mount it, then drag the Messenger icon that appears in the pop-up window to your Applications folder. Drag the white "Messenger 3.5.1" icon to the trash, then drag the .dmg file and .bin file to the trash.

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're doing; if Stuffit has expanded the original .bin file, you should have a .dmg file. Double-click the .dmg to mount it, then drag the Messenger icon that appears in the pop-up window to your Applications folder. Drag the white "Messenger 3.5.1" icon to the trash, then drag the .dmg file and .bin file to the trash.

and then after installing it and trying to log in, it says there is a more current version of msn for the Mac and i need to update in order to continue, but when i download the file, it says it isnt recognized

OP
I
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;516453 said:
Great!

okay, but when i try to log in to msn, it says theres a more current version of it for the mac, and it takes me to the msn website and when i dowload it and try to open it it says it isnt recognized ???? :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
OP
I
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.