Just Bought New iMac! Likes & Gripes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Hi everyone! Like most of you in this section I have recently moved from PC to Mac. I am now in day 5 of ownership of this machine. Below I have listed a few of my gripes and likes in point format. I'm sure there will be simple solutions to a lot of them, or perhaps another individual is having the same problems as I am, anyroad, any comments are most welcome!

Thanks in advance everybody, and what a great forum :)

Exact Machine Purchased

24inch iMac
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
2GB memory
500GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Wireless Mighty Mouse

- 24inch screen is awesome.

- GUI is just superb, loving the way everything looks just brilliant, icons etc.

- The way its not just a computer, but a media center too, totally changing the interface, which also looks amazing.

- Remote included, great for when your in "media mode" as I call it.

- Installing of programs seems exceptionally straight forward.

- Lack of separate tower unit saves space.

- Exceptionally bright and vivid display.

Gripes

- Some of the icons in the bar along the bottom, are cut off at the top, when another screen is in front of them.

- Cursors are not of the correct type when hovering over certain things. A text select cursor when it should be a pointer for example.

- Lack of information given regarding music. Things like "artist name", "song title" etc, seem to be unavailable to be shown.

- When phoning apple help, phone took 30 mins to be answered. Another 30 mins was spent on the phone with an individual that obviously didn't understand my language. Problem went unsolved after 1 hour in total.

- A burnt CD doesn't eject when finished burning. Although some programs allow this option to be selected, it doesn't seem to be on by default.

- Sound card is rubbish. Something along the lines of a "breakout box" is an absolute must, as working with audio is a big part of my life.

- Why do the shortcuts simply not work at all? For example, in "keyboard shortcuts" it says that F11 is set to show the desktop. It doesn't. What F11 actually does do, is turn the volume down.

- Shows MP3's as MPEG's.

- When moving the mouse very short distances for precision work, the cursor does not respond well. Often not moving at all, when you have in fact moved your mouse. This can get very frustrating.

Software Related

- Garage band loops are not present and even after following the simple instructions, I cannot for the life of me seem to get them installed.

- When I burn a CD in iTunes, enabling CD text, it actually burns the name of the PLAYLIST to the CD, meaning the artist of a song doesn't show up.

- Windows Media player wont open mp3's.

What I need - for most of these I have already tried numerous versions, but still have not found anything to match my needs

- A CD/DVD burning software, that supports cd text. The more options the better really!

- An ID3 tag editor that works well! I tried one recently that opened a whole new window for every single song! Tag&Rename was what I used on the PC.

- Something to replace "Adobe Audition" for the PC. From what I can see they dont make a MAC version. If this is true I find it almost laughable that Adobe dont make this excellent audio software for the king of multimedia.

- A media player with VISUALIZATIONS! You know those nice changing colors etc that play on RealPlayer and Windows Media Player on the PC....they suddenly just disappear when moved onto the mac.....why is just beyond me.

General Overview

Generally the mac wins outright with styling and looks. The interface and accessories are just to die for. That said, it still seems to SERIOUSLY lack in software, as I still find myself very prohibited in what I can do, being used with the functionality of a PC.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I'm sure I have made a lot of silly points here to experienced Mac users, please feel free to correct me. All input is welcome.

Reaction score
As a recent switcher, and a MacBook user, I can say some of the issues you're facing are easily correctible. I have an identical 24" iMac on order, and look forward to researching the rest for myself. :D

As an aside, I custom ordered my iMac six weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for it. The dealer told me it landed in North America last week, but they haven't yet called to say come pick it up. Yours must've been a custom order as well; how long did you have to wait for delivery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Some of the icons in the bar along the bottom, are cut off at the top, when another screen is in front of them.
That sounds strange. All my windows go behind the dock when I move one to the bottom.

- Cursors are not of the correct type when hovering over certain things. A text select cursor when it should be a pointer for example.
Which programs? Never noticed this.

- Lack of information given regarding music. Things like "artist name", "song title" etc, seem to be unavailable to be shown.
Are you in iTunes?

- When phoning apple help, phone took 30 mins to be answered. Another 30 mins was spent on the phone with an individual that obviously didn't understand my language. Problem went unsolved after 1 hour in total.
Never had to phone Apple, sorry.

- A burnt CD doesn't eject when finished burning. Although some programs allow this option to be selected, it doesn't seem to be on by default.
Are you using Disk Utility? I use Toast to be honest, but maybe you're right. A bit niggly if it's true.

- Sound card is rubbish. Something along the lines of a "breakout box" is an absolute must, as working with audio is a big part of my life.
It's a Realtek sound chip, which appears on virtually every PC motherboard too.

- Why do the shortcuts simply not work at all? For example, in "keyboard shortcuts" it says that F11 is set to show the desktop. It doesn't. What F11 actually does do, is turn the volume down.
Sounds like a clash with the media keys. I've put all the Expose shortcuts on the mouse buttons, which is a bit easier for me.

- Shows MP3's as MPEG's.
Never had this. Got a screenshot?

- When moving the mouse very short distances for precision work, the cursor does not respond well. Often not moving at all, when you have in fact moved your mouse. This can get very frustrating.
Again, never had this. What's your mouse mat like?

- Windows Media player wont open mp3's.
Blame Microsoft. They stopped updated Media Player years ago. Use iTunes instead. Also make sure you download Flip4Mac, which will make media player videos more likely to play in web browsers.

- A CD/DVD burning software, that supports cd text. The more options the better really!
Roxio Toast.

- Something to replace "Adobe Audition" for the PC. From what I can see they dont make a MAC version. If this is true I find it almost laughable that Adobe dont make this excellent audio software for the king of multimedia.
Yeah, it sucks. Here's a petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/djtobes/petition.html
You might best using BootCamp and running Windows just for that piece of software.

- A media player with VISUALIZATIONS! You know those nice changing colors etc that play on RealPlayer and Windows Media Player on the PC....they suddenly just disappear when moved onto the mac.....why is just beyond me.
That's a personal thing really. I think seeing the album art in Cover Flow in iTunes looks a darn sight better than swirly 1960s patterns!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I had problems installing garageband loops, to do it just click on a loop it will say something like "download or install from disk" click install from disk & insert the tiger install disk 2 you should have got with your imac, it should then start to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
If you're using the new AL keyboard the expose button is now on F3. You can switch between the way you want expose to work for you, holding Command and pressing f3 clears all of the windows away, revealing your desktop. Holding the control key and pressing f3 will focus on the current active window. and just pressing f3 will show all of the open and active application windows.

The visualizations are still there, you just have to turn them on, they are turned off by default. Most people don't use visualizations, so it's just off to save resources. Just go to view and then down to "Turn visualizations on".

As for burning, I don't like toast, but that's just me. I use the Burn application ( http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net ) it burns great, you can choose to have the disk eject or mount on the desktop every time you burn. Did I mention it's free, and open source :)

You might just need to move the mouse sensitivity up a bit, or use a mouse with better precisions. A High dpi mouse will do you wonders, but you might just try turning the sensitivity up a bit in system preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
My only 2 gripes after 2 months of switching -
1. pressing delete or backspace does not remove a file to the trash from your window (like pc's do).
2. I have not found a way (if there is PLEASE tell me) to put my home folder on my dock.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a recent switcher, and a MacBook user, I can say some of the issues you're facing are easily correctible. I have an identical 24" iMac on order, and look forward to researching the rest for myself. :D

As an aside, I custom ordered my iMac six weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for it. The dealer told me it landed in North America last week, but they haven't yet called to say come pick it up. Yours must've been a custom order as well; how long did you have to wait for delivery?

Hi Rob,

My delivery actually took less than two weeks, so I cant really complain about that!

Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had problems installing garageband loops, to do it just click on a loop it will say something like "download or install from disk" click install from disk & insert the tiger install disk 2 you should have got with your imac, it should then start to install.

Hi Bruki,

Thanks for this advice, it worked a treat!

Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. pressing delete or backspace does not remove a file to the trash from your window (like pc's do).
2. I have not found a way (if there is PLEASE tell me) to put my home folder on my dock.

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for your input. To delete a file like a PC, simply press the command key, then the delete key. This sends the selected file to the bin.

Not too sure about your other problem sorry.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black

"Command-Delete" will do the trick (moves the file to Trash ) and then you can empty the trash using "Shift-Command-Delete"

Here's a link that would help u with shortcuts.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're using the new AL keyboard the expose button is now on F3. You can switch between the way you want expose to work for you, holding Command and pressing f3 clears all of the windows away, revealing your desktop. Holding the control key and pressing f3 will focus on the current active window. and just pressing f3 will show all of the open and active application windows.

The visualizations are still there, you just have to turn them on, they are turned off by default. Most people don't use visualizations, so it's just off to save resources. Just go to view and then down to "Turn visualizations on".

As for burning, I don't like toast, but that's just me. I use the Burn application ( http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net ) it burns great, you can choose to have the disk eject or mount on the desktop every time you burn. Did I mention it's free, and open source :)

You might just need to move the mouse sensitivity up a bit, or use a mouse with better precisions. A High dpi mouse will do you wonders, but you might just try turning the sensitivity up a bit in system preferences.

Hi Ghost,

Your first paragraph, I knew already :)

The visualizations are still there in what program?

I tried burn last night, but deleted it again straight away, as it seriously lacks in options in my opinion. I want to be able to configure my burn to a T. Will try toast.

This was the first thing I did. It works just fine on normal sized movements, but close quarters seems to let it down. I have tried a few different surfaces but I will keep investigating.

Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds strange. All my windows go behind the dock when I move one to the bottom.

Are you in iTunes?

Never had to phone Apple, sorry.

Are you using Disk Utility? I use Toast to be honest, but maybe you're right. A bit niggly if it's true.

Sounds like a clash with the media keys. I've put all the Expose shortcuts on the mouse buttons, which is a bit easier for me.

Blame Microsoft. They stopped updated Media Player years ago. Use iTunes instead. Also make sure you download Flip4Mac, which will make media player videos more likely to play in web browsers.

Roxio Toast.

Yeah, it sucks. Here's a petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/djtobes/petition.html
You might best using BootCamp and running Windows just for that piece of software.

That's a personal thing really. I think seeing the album art in Cover Flow in iTunes looks a darn sight better than swirly 1960s patterns!

Hi Alexis,

Thank you for your extensive answer!

That sounds strange. All my windows go behind the dock when I move one to the bottom

Yes, it is rather unexpected. It seems to be an actual graphic problem. I will take a screen dump and show it.

Its hard to remember now off the top of my head, but I distinctly remember it happening with MSN messenger for MAC. Even after clicking the window to bring it to the front. I will screen dump this also.

Are you in iTunes?

Yes. Although this is not what I mean. I'm actually referring to going into my documents, and looking at my music that way. For example I have a list of MP3s in a folder, located in the "music" folder on my hard drive. I would like to have more options displayed in this list. I wonder would I be able to use finder to find the name of a particular artist, even though its not displayed. It would probably find it from the file name anyway, but still.

Never had to phone Apple, sorry

No problem.

No. Didn't realize you could. I have been using a lot of different burners recently, some succeeding were others fail. I will try toast.

This is a fair point. Some form of uprated sound card is def' a must.

I honestly don't know just yet. Will have to look into it further. Pressing command and F3 sort of does the same job anyway.

Yep, I will take all screenshots shortly and post them.

Hmmm, tried a few different surfaces. Some def work better than others. It seems its not so much a problem with the accuracy of the mouse, more a matter of how easily it glides over the surface which its on.

Already downloaded Flip4Mac. Really don't like iTunes, I find it rather stupid in places, playlists and folders being to major problems.

Your right it is a personal thing. I prefer lovely moving images and colors, moving in time to the music, rather than a boring static image of an artists face etc. I generally hate album art anyway though.

Thanks for all your help!! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

Re your second problem, you are probably just trying to place it on the wrong side of the dock. Open a Finder window and go up one level so you can see your home folder. Now drag this to the right side of the dock (find the vertical separator between the left and right sides - usually one one or two icons on the "right side") and drag your home folder there. It definitely works - I have mine there!

BTW, you can ALSO drag your home folder up onto the tool bar of every Finder window pretty much the same way. I have done this and find it really convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Slinki, Griffin Technology has an external Firewire sound card for Macs, not sure if it is Leopard compatible yet though (if you are running Leopard). It's called the Firewave.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MP3s are MPEG-1 layer 3 files.

I see. Didn't know that. In that case there shouldn't be a reason why windows media player wouldn't play them. :Angry:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slinki, Griffin Technology has an external Firewire sound card for Macs, not sure if it is Leopard compatible yet though (if you are running Leopard). It's called the Firewave.

Cool. Will check that out. I'm running Tiger 10.4, sorry should have said that earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

1) to move something to trash, press command+delete

2) go to the "Macintosh HD" on your Desktop, go to Users/[your "short name"/home folder]. Select the home folder, drag and drop into the right side of the dock.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
How to use the Function (F#) keys with the "fn" button

All you have to do is press the "fn" key (if you have one, I'm assuming you do) in the bottom left corner of your keyboard and F11 at the same time.

T

todd51

Not sure if anyone has responded to you again, but the visualizations someone mentioned earlier are in iTunes, which is the default music player for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.